Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
Very true. Irabu was at least serviceable until he ate and drank himself into severe depression.

For those who don't know, he was brought over in '97 saying, "I will only play for the Yankees." Probably due to the fact that it was the most popular American team, at least at the time, in Japan. He never lived up to expectations, Steinbrenner and NY media crucified him, and he eventually became very depressed and killed himself. That has to be something that has at least crossed the minds of Tanaka's team. I am sure Tanaka watched it unfold as Irabu was probably a childhood hero of Tanaka. Of course I am speculating, but he was the man in Japanese baseball when Tanaka was growing up. Probably the biggest name aside from Hideki Matsui and Ichiro. Not a deciding factor but an arbitrary thought I'm sure.

He was basically a 5th starter at best.

QUOTE (timbo @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
this person is fake because this person just changed his name it something different before

I have an urge to post a "tanaka signs with Cubs" message on the feed of the geology-based twitter I participate in to see if we get a good boost of followers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
I have an urge to post a "tanaka signs with Cubs" message on the feed of the geology-based twitter I participate in to see if we get a good boost of followers.

what wrong these people that can make a lot of people piss off when they found your trolling

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)

Or make it some crazy dark horse like the Royals or the Phillies.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 05:30 PM)
@jaysonst: Now hearing Tanaka decision could go all the way till Friday. Clubs not in bidding hearing rumblings he took physical while in LA this month

Man, sports media are really phoning it in on this one. We knew that FOREVER ago. I don't even think it was a secret. Clubs want their individual physicals with him, which is why the Wednesday date has been bandied around.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
Man, sports media are really phoning it in on this one. We knew that FOREVER ago. I don't even think it was a secret. Clubs want their individual physicals with him, which is why the Wednesday date has been bandied around.

Guessing, false info, the internet. Pick your poison.

The Sox have heard jack s***, so I assume everyone else is in the same boat.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
Darvish

Iwakuma

Kuroda

Hideo Nomo

Tomo Ohka had a couple good years but sucked more often than not.

Then a glut of relievers

Tazawa

Uehara

Hasegawa

Kaz Sasaki

Otsuka

Saito

The obvious failures are Dice-K, Igawa, Irabu.

I'm talking starters here, I should have specified, as relievers don't make a fraction of this sort of money and won't even if they are good.

Nomo I agree. Darvish so far too, but he's at 2 years now basically - so this next year will tell the tale IMO. Those are the ones I thought of.

Kuroda I forgot, good call, he's been good.

Iwakuma, like Darvish, is at the 2 year mark, so we'll see.

Basically, we've got two starting pitchers who have come over and had successful careers more than 2 years: Nomo (which was a long time ago) and Kuroda. Two more guys appear on the verge, but the jury is still out.

Then there are the failures, a number of them.

We are talking about 6 years for this guy. I am not saying 100% he won't succeed long-term - I am saying the odds are very slim he will do so. Is that worth a gamble? Sure. Is it worth a $120M gamble? Not to me, no. Though I admit I haven't seen him pitch in person like (I'd hope) the Sox scouts or other reliable sources of theirs have.