Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

Its very unlikely that Tanaka camp is floating numbers, thats not generally how the Japanese do business. Thats more American style, which is why all of these reporters have 0 information. Because generally they call up the agents who leak stuff to get the bidding higher. From all accounts, it seems Tanaka wants none of that bulls***. He just wants numbers and then to make a decision.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
Guessing, false info, the internet. Pick your poison.

The Sox have heard jack s***, so I assume everyone else is in the same boat.

Or he just has zero interest in the Sox so they haven't kept in touch.

The teams that make the most sense in my mind are the Yanks, Mariners, and Cubs.

Yanks have the culture, market, money and winning tradition.

Mariners have the culture, money, and geography.

Cubs have market, money, and more money.

I like how people think the Cubs have money.

2009 was the last year the Cubs were owned by Tribune, the 2010 payroll the Ricketts inherited was $145mil. 2011 it went down to $120mil, 2012 it went down to $88mil with 2013 it being a $104 mil.

So the fact is in the last 3 years, the Cubs have never had a higher payroll than the Sox.

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

They arent owned by the Tribune anymore, they are owned by a small time family with most of their assets tied up into the Cubs.

Ya, I'm not worried one bit about Tanaka actually being a good pitcher, I think he'll do just fine in his first year or two or even three but when we're talking 7 years for a pitcher, I'm going to be terrified of this guy after those initial few years.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 10:56 PM)
Ya, I'm not worried one bit about Tanaka actually being a good pitcher, I think he'll do just fine in his first year or two or even three but when we're talking 7 years for a pitcher, I'm going to be terrified of this guy after those initial few years.

Yep, especially when you take into account his work load the last few years.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
Yep, especially when you take into account his work load the last few years.

If this franchise is ok with spending a certain amount on him over a certain time period, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on knowing the kinds of pitchers they can work with and maintain.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)

I'm right there with you. Those last 3-5 years just scare me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
I'm right there with you. Those last 3-5 years just scare me.

As long as there is some sort of team option, player option, mutual option, full opt-out, limited NTC, or no NTC at all during or following the first 3-4 years then there is at least *some chance* you can get out of that deal before all the bad stuff starts happening.

Even overpaying this guy & then dumping the deal and getting back a few spects after 2016 would be a huge gain for the organization most likely, not just the spects and the on-field performance, but it helps re-open the Japanese market, helps sell tickets, etc. Can we get that deal? Who knows. I know for sure though that if we give him 3 years guaranteed with a player opt out after Year 3, if he looks really good in years 1+2 I'm trading him before that third year at any cost, dumping the salary, and no way am I giving him another 6-7 year deal.

Tanaka would be nice to have & he is going to get a deal that benefits himself to a great degree, but still the goal is to make the White Sox better and nothing else.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
Guessing, false info, the internet. Pick your poison.

The Sox have heard jack s***, so I assume everyone else is in the same boat.

When you say they haven't heard anything, does that mean Tanaka's people haven't actually negotiated with anyone? Just give us a single bid and we'll pick the highest one? Seems like an odd tactic. Or does this mean that all teams have gone back and forth and have basically reached their limit and now everybody's waiting?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
I like how people think the Cubs have money.

2009 was the last year the Cubs were owned by Tribune, the 2010 payroll the Ricketts inherited was $145mil. 2011 it went down to $120mil, 2012 it went down to $88mil with 2013 it being a $104 mil.

So the fact is in the last 3 years, the Cubs have never had a higher payroll than the Sox.

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

They arent owned by the Tribune anymore, they are owned by a small time family with most of their assets tied up into the Cubs.

Not entirely true. While they don't have the plethora of cash they had under the Trib, their low payroll at the big league level is largely intentional, as they've invested a ton of money in scouting and internationally. Hell, they had enough money to piss away on Edwin Jackson.

There is a limit on how much you are now allowed to spend internationally and on the draft -- they did give a big bonus to Soler, though. Nonetheless, it is a relative certainty that their spending on draft and sanctioned international signings would have gone down when Theo came rather than up

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
When you say they haven't heard anything, does that mean Tanaka's people haven't actually negotiated with anyone? Just give us a single bid and we'll pick the highest one? Seems like an odd tactic. Or does this mean that all teams have gone back and forth and have basically reached their limit and now everybody's waiting?

Im not privy to the back and forth but I know they havent heard a yes or a no. It would be quite obvious immediately.

QUOTE (KevHead0881 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
Not entirely true. While they don't have the plethora of cash they had under the Trib, their low payroll at the big league level is largely intentional, as they've invested a ton of money in scouting and internationally. Hell, they had enough money to piss away on Edwin Jackson.

If the reports are true, Jackson's contract would be half as valuable as Tanaka. So that doesnt exactly prove that they can blow the Dodgers/Yankees out of the water with money. In fact theres just no reason to believe that the Cubs can outbid anyone.

And they can say whatever they want about intentionally keeping a low payroll, that doesnt change the fact that in terms of owners, the Ricketts may have the least cash on hand. So they need to use money from the revenue of the Cubs, they cant just kick in money from their personal fortune.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)
Smart move - it likely wouldn't be denied even if they aren't, and you get some points with the fans.

Seems like every team is sprinkling rumors that can either make it seem like they were involved, maybe even offered more than everyone but got turned down while also having rumors that make it seem like they weren't really interested. This way they are covered whether he turns out to be great or a bust.