Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

This makes sense, and at that price, it's for the best. Fits pretty much everything I touched on.

-High annual salary? Check

-Opt out after 4 years? Check

-7th year if no opt out? Check

This is the deal that makes the most financial sense for him. I never would have guaranteed a 7th year, so that is likely the difference between the Sox offer and the Yankees offer.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
Eh, he's gonna suck anyway.

#bitter

Even if he maxes out on his "potential," he's viewed as a step below Darvish and he just got the 5th highest contract for a pitcher EVER. NO THANKS. I would of been ecstatic for 6 for 120.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
Props to all those who fooled themselves into believing Sox were higher than the Yankees on Tanaka's destination list.

Whose to say they weren't at one time? Money talks. This deal is probably at least $35 million more than the Sox were willing to go.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
Whose to say they weren't at one time? Money talks. This deal is probably at least $35 million more than the Sox were willing to go.

Exactly that is an irrelevant sentiment. If we offered 6 and 120 and they offered 7 and 155, where would you go? I would bet you anything we just got outbid. Period.

Props to all those who fooled themselves into believing Sox were higher than the Yankees on Tanaka's destination list.

I never thought the Sox would be able to match what the Yankees would. My guess is that the Yankees' offer was way above and beyond the other teams' offers.

Too bad. Now I hope he sucks.

The problem with the 4 year opt out is then it basically costs you $5 million extra per year with the posting fee.

Hopefully in a few years Tanaka will look back and say he should have signed with the White Sox, but the Yankees were desperate. They probably would have paid him whatever it took.

I like the White Sox agressiveness, and Hahn is either a great actor or really thought he had a shot. This bodes well for the future IMO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)

The problem with the 4 year opt out is then it basically costs you $5 million extra per year with the posting fee.

Hopefully in a few years Tanaka will look back and say he should have signed with the White Sox, but the Yankees were desperate. They probably would have paid him whatever it took.

I like the White Sox agressiveness, and Hahn is either a great actor or really thought he had a shot. This bodes well for the future IMO.

I dont think our offer was in the 7 year range IMO. That was probably only the Yanks.

Who was fooled? The White Sox flat out said if it comes down to money they will not get him.

The cubs were the one's that said they would not be outbid.

I think the Sox ended up around 5 years $100M not enough to outbid teams but if was not about money they had a shot did some work and it did not work out.

He was an ideal for what they need at this time as he was for every other team.

Yep. If the money is divided up evenly over the 7 years and Tanaka opts out after 4, they Yankees essentially would be paying him $27 million per year.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

I bet the Yankees just upped their bid when Close asked them to and the Sox weren't willing to go the extra year/cash. And I don't blame Hahn, that is ridiculous amount of money for him. 6 for 120 would of been a lot but reasonable, this was too much.