2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed Guardians a lot. It was action packed, well written, great tone to it and very well paced. Rocket is one of the more memorable characters I've seen in many years. I have no tie to it either, not a comic book guy and what I've seen of the Marvel movies I've liked, but not a fan boy of them.

This movie just really clicked for me.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
I feel sorry for you.

Why? Feel sorry for the lack of originality, instead...these movies, while basically decent, really offer nothing new and are as cookie cutter as they come. I'd rather start seeing something more original than standard comic fare at this point, and anything Marvel is exactly that.

I mean, people just rave about every movie based in this universe lately...and watch this: I thought the avengers AND iron man 3 were completely average, predictable, overly busy on effects and just like any other marvel movie, and at this point I get it, and I'm bored.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
Good movies, Bah humbug!

Good in your subjective opinion, you mean. So there's that.

That's like me telling you what music is good and why your Scrooge for not listening too it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:08 PM)
Good in your subjective opinion, you mean. So there's that.

That's like me telling you what music is good and why your Scrooge for not listening too it.

The Marvel movies are anything but cookie cutter. There are many layers, characters, and story lines. I could argue they are extremely complex.

And it's not just my opinion on their quality. It's the consensus.

I'm renting Under The Skin this weekend.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)
Why? Feel sorry for the lack of originality, instead...these movies, while basically decent, really offer nothing new and are as cookie cutter as they come. I'd rather start seeing something more original than standard comic fare at this point, and anything Marvel is exactly that.

I mean, people are just rave about basically every movie based in this universe lately...and watch this: I thought the avengers AND iron man 3 were completely average, predictable, overly busy on effects and just like any other marvel movie, and at this point I get it, and in bored.

I know, I'm a sinner, because these movies are all the same to me, I should be stoned for thinking for myself. :P

Guardians of the Galaxy may be the least cookie cutter film in a long time as far as action movies go.

Right now you're basically just saying it's cookie cutter without seeing it. It can stand alone from the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe in it's own self contained world.

Hell, it's more akin to Star Wars meets a Kevin Smith movie than like Avengers, Iron Man, or Winter Soldier.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:54 PM)
The Marvel movies are anything but cookie cutter. There are many layers, characters, and story lines. I could argue they are extremely complex.

And it's not just my opinion on their quality. It's the consensus.

I'm renting Under The Skin this weekend.

Just lol to this. They're good action movies, but they're not complex in the least.

Inception is complex, the avengers was not.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
Guardians of the Galaxy may be the least cookie cutter film in a long time as far as action movies go.

Right now you're basically just saying it's cookie cutter without seeing it. It can stand alone from the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe in it's own self contained world.

Hell, it's more akin to Star Wars meets a Kevin Smith movie than like Avengers, Iron Man, or Winter Soldier.

I may watch this one just because it's not part of that tired avengers universe.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 05:46 AM)
Just lol to this. They're good action movies, but they're not complex in the least.

Inception is complex, the avengers was not.

Debatable.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 05:48 AM)
I may watch this one just because it's not part of that tired avengers universe.

Someone else want to break the news to him?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)

I mean, people just rave about every movie based in this universe lately...and watch this: I thought the avengers AND iron man 3 were completely average, predictable, overly busy on effects and just like any other marvel movie, and at this point I get it, and I'm bored.

Guardians of the Galaxy is as original as you get. But please, continue reviewing a movie you haven't seen. It's fascinating watching you do so.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 06:45 AM)
Guardians of the Galaxy is as original as you get. But please, continue reviewing a movie you haven't seen. It's fascinating watching you do so.

Sounds like someone missed my previous post.

Here are my star ratings for the Marvel/DC movies I've seen.

* = Terrible

** = Average

*** = Good

**** = Exceptional

Batman Begins - ***1/2

The Dark Knight - ****

The Dark Knight Rises - ** (The more you honestly think about this movie, the worse it becomes.)

Iron Man - ***1/2

Iron Man 2 - *1/2 (This movie was just flat out stupid.)

Iron Man 3 - **

Spider-Man - **1/2

Spider-Man 2 - ***1/2

Spider-Man 3 - *1/2

The Amazing Spider-Man - **

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Haven't seen it.

The Avengers - **

Captain America - *1/2 (I thought this movie was really bad.)

Captain America 2 - Haven't seen it, heard it was much better than the first.

Thor - **1/2 (Without Loki this would have * star.)

Thor 2 - Haven't seen it, heard it's better than the first.

X-Men - **1/2

X-Men 2 - ***

X-Men 3 - * (I'd give this zero stars if I could.)

X-Men First Class - **1/2 (I'd give this 3 stars if it wasn't full of incredibly stupid mutants.)

X-Men Days of Future Past - ***1/2

Hulk - * (The bad Eric Bana one.)

The Incredible Hulk - ** (The slightly better Edward Norton one.)

Superman Returns - *1/2 (The bad one where Brandon Routh played Christopher Reeves playing Superman and Kevin Spacey played Gene Hackman playing Lex Luthor.)

The Man of Steel - **1/2 (Extra 1/2 because I'm a fan, but it was a bit...much.)

Wolverine Movies - Haven't seen any of them, if there even are multiple.

I'm sure there are a few I missed, but that should give a gauge on how I rate superhero movies, regardless of general consensus. I find most of them very fun, but there isn't much more there. If it's a movie I won't watch twice, it will never have more than **.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 06:07 AM)
Someone else want to break the news to him?

I'm fine with it being a part of the universe in a minor form, but based on people saying it can stand on it's own, within it's own universe, I'm fine with that explanation and will give it a watch when it's rentable. I'm just happy to hear it's not the usual superhero vs bad guy crap I've already seen 50 times.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 07:48 AM)
I'm fine with it being a part of the universe in a minor form, but based on people saying it can stand on it's own, within it's own universe, I'm fine with that explanation and will give it a watch when it's rentable. I'm just happy to hear it's not the usual superhero vs bad guy crap I've already seen 50 times.

Ruh Roh

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)
Here are my star ratings for the Marvel/DC movies I've seen.

* = Terrible

** = Average

*** = Good

**** = Exceptional

Batman Begins - ***1/2

The Dark Knight - ****

The Dark Knight Rises - ** (The more you honestly think about this movie, the worse it becomes.)

Iron Man - ***1/2

Iron Man 2 - *1/2 (This movie was just flat out stupid.)

Iron Man 3 - **

Spider-Man - **1/2

Spider-Man 2 - ***1/2

Spider-Man 3 - *1/2

The Amazing Spider-Man - **

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Haven't seen it.

The Avengers - **

Captain America - *1/2 (I thought this movie was really bad.)

Captain America 2 - Haven't seen it, heard it was much better than the first.

Thor - **1/2 (Without Loki this would have * star.)

Thor 2 - Haven't seen it, heard it's better than the first.

X-Men - **1/2

X-Men 2 - ***

X-Men 3 - * (I'd give this zero stars if I could.)

X-Men First Class - **1/2 (I'd give this 3 stars if it wasn't full of incredibly stupid mutants.)

X-Men Days of Future Past - ***1/2

Hulk - * (The bad Eric Bana one.)

The Incredible Hulk - ** (The slightly better Edward Norton one.)

Superman Returns - *1/2 (The bad one where Brandon Routh played Christopher Reeves playing Superman and Kevin Spacey played Gene Hackman playing Lex Luthor.)

The Man of Steel - **1/2 (Extra 1/2 because I'm a fan, but it was a bit...much.)

Wolverine Movies - Haven't seen any of them, if there even are multiple.

I'm sure there are a few I missed, but that should give a gauge on how I rate superhero movies, regardless of general consensus. I find most of them very fun, but there isn't much more there. If it's a movie I won't watch twice, it will never have more than **.

So the last Marvel movie you saw you really liked but you're tired of them now?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:19 AM)
So the last Marvel movie you saw you really liked but you're tired of them now?

It was the first movie in a long time I liked from the genre, so it's probably more an exception to the rule than the rule. ;)

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
I actually did not like Capt America at all as well but Winter Soldier was awesome.

Didn't like the Spidey reboot either so not going to see Part 2.

Same with Spidey, never bothered to see part 2.

If the subject matter doesnt interest you, not much else you can say. The movies arent overly complicated, but they are much more complicated than "good guy vs bad guy". starting with Loki and Bucky Barnes and it seems moving up through the Civil War storyline, it looks like Marvel is bringing a lot more complex bad guys that have more layers than merely "bad guy".

Im sure Y2HH isnt the only person that isnt a fan of the MCU movies, though