2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

McCarthy eventually will find herself at the end of the Adam Sander, Michael Cena, Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen (still riding a high), Jim Carrey, Will Ferrell, Zach G., Ben Stiller line...if you play the same character over and over again, eventually that's growing to grow tiresome. Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, also.

With comedians, audiences are always looking for the next big thing, whether it's Kevin Hart or Apatow comedies.

If you show some variety in your choices, you have a much better chance of being rewarded by audiences....The Heat worked so well because she could play her character off against someone that audiences really love in Sandra Bullock. If it's Jason Bateman, he just doesn't have the star power and "wattage" not to get overshadowed by her and have the movie totally run amuck and become a series of set pieces/comedy sketches with no cohesiveness.

Trying to think of a good example of someone who's trying lots of different roles, James Franco comes to mind...someone who has the ability to evolve and constantly reinvent himself. But for every Franco, there's a Sascha Baron Cohen whose act wears thin.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)
I think the Melissa McCarthy craze is on the downhill. She hasn't done a good movie, by critics standards, since Bridesmaids.

I'll be watching Life Itself on demand in a few weeks.

I never actually "got it" when it comes to McCarthy...she's not all that funny...but she's fat, so you know, we have to like her or something...

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
I never actually "got it" when it comes to McCarthy...she's not all that funny...but she's fat, so you know, we have to like her or something...

If you're fat, you're funny I hear.

The Heat had some great lines.

Was on vacation this week so I went to Tammy despite the lousy reviews. It sucked. I see she wrote the movie and her hubby directed it or vice versa, thus the lines were not as funny as movies like The Heat.

They made it a pseduo love story, which is a joke. No offense to McCarthy but she ain't a love story girl. Also made it a buddy movie, traveling with Susan Sarandon. A couple funny moments but the movie was pretty bad. I really had to kill some time and wanted to go to a movie. There actually were no better choices as I didn't see the first Jump Street and didn't want to go to the sequel w/out seeing No. 1.

There was a point about 2/3 thru Tammy I remarked this is when I'd turn it off if it was on TV and I almost left the theatre. It just dawned on me at that point it was a lousy movie and wasn't gonna get any better.

Edited by greg775

Another example is Rebel Wilson, aka Fat Amy in the Pitch Perfect movie, and first seen in Bridesmaids as one of the weird roommates of Kirsten Wiig.

She's a lot funnier to me than McCarthy. But a little bit goes a long ways.

That Awkward Moment...C+

A Long Way Down...B-

The Other Woman...C (not as funny as I thought it would be, and Kate Upton's appeal is starting to diminish for me)

Transcendence...D+

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 02:43 AM)
Another example is Rebel Wilson, aka Fat Amy in the Pitch Perfect movie, and first seen in Bridesmaids as one of the weird roommates of Kirsten Wiig.

She's a lot funnier to me than McCarthy. But a little bit goes a long ways.

That Awkward Moment...C+

A Long Way Down...B-

The Other Woman...C (not as funny as I thought it would be, and Kate Upton's appeal is starting to diminish for me)

Transcendence...D+

That's just it. Small bits. Not a whole damned movie.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
Don't forget drinking crappy beer.

But Pitch Perfect is awesome, how dare you.

That scene where do they "riff-off" with the four singing groups together in the old swimming pool is a classic.

Plus, that kid from Workaholics makes me laugh in that movie whenever he does practically anything his character is so over the top.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 06:07 PM)
Scariest movie of 2014???

Under the Skin might be the weirdest, combined with scariest.

But the fact that it's Scarlett Johansson makes it a bit surreal.

The most popular one, and it's going back to last year, is definitely THE CONJURING. That movie played for weeks and weeks and weeks in Indonesia.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
Don't forget drinking crappy beer.

But Pitch Perfect is awesome, how dare you.

I thought this movie was pretty good up until the completely unnecessary puke scene at the end, and it could have become one of those high school comedy classics had it not been for that scene. The opening scene was one thing, but whatever the f*** that stupid s*** was at the end where the girl pukes all over everyone and one of them essentially makes a snow angel in the puke was just mind numbingly stupid, not to mention disgusting and unfunny, and for me it seriously cut major points off the entire movie.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was excellent. Can't wait to see what they do for the next movie.

it looks great from what I have seen. I was sad to see it not do "great" this weekend, but $70+m is nothing to sneeze at.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)
it looks great from what I have seen. I was sad to see it not do "great" this weekend, but $70+m is nothing to sneeze at.

Some of the predictions were in the high 50's, so if you compare it to the 2011 version's opening as well, which it beat handily, it's widely being considered a huge success as the sequel picked up business when starting over with an entirely new (human) cast. Jason Clarke did Zero Dark Thirty, but I bet only 5% of the people who went to the movie even knew who he was...the main attraction for them was the Caesar storyline.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
Some of the predictions were in the high 50's, so if you compare it to the 2011 version's opening as well, which it beat handily, it's widely being considered a huge success as the sequel picked up business when starting over with an entirely new (human) cast. Jason Clarke did Zero Dark Thirty, but I bet only 5% of the people who went to the movie even knew who he was...the main attraction for them was the Caesar storyline.

Interesting. I didnt knwo what they were projecting. If it was in the 50s, then yea, they did great. I really liked the first, looking forward to seeing the second.