2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
It can be ... growing up I was always mistaken for a very young kid when I wasn't. At 18, people thought I was 13, and at 21, unless I had 537 forms of picture ID, every last bar/restaurant would reject serving me alcohol because I still looked about 15.

I'm pretty much in the exact same boat. Only, people have no problem serving me alcohol because they want my money.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Grand Budapest Hotel...loved Fiennes in this role of the good guy for once, as well as Lobby Boy (debut performance)

Snowpiercer....Korean-directed dystopian futuristic film starring Chris Evans before he became super-popular for Captain America, Tilda Swinton, Jamie Bell, Allison Pill and John Hurt.

Quite interesting premise...enjoying it so far.

The Grand Budapest Hotel...loved Fiennes in this role of the good guy for once, as well as Lobby Boy (debut performance)

Snowpiercer....Korean-directed dystopian futuristic film starring Chris Evans before he became super-popular for Captain America, Tilda Swinton, Jamie Bell, Allison Pill and John Hurt.

Quite interesting premise...enjoying it so far.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)
My favorite part is that Kim Jung Un has a problem with it.

Not Neighbors, the next movie from Rogen and Franco coming out about killing Un is the one he has a problem with.

Critics on Rotten Tomatoes are destroying the new Transformers movie.

If you like ear-piercing explosions and bizarre spaceships and wooden dialogue that serves simply to get from one action scene to another, "Transformers: Age of Extinction" delivers on all fronts.

----

Nothing coheres. Movies usually try to come together at the end; this one falls apart. If that's Bay intention, then cinema has finally entered its Age of Extinction.

----

It is scattered, weightless, impossible to get hold of, and somehow, after seven years and more than 10 hours of screen time, I could not tell you what these films are about.

----

If the "human scenes" all reek of adolescent dialogue and dopey snark masquerading as character development, it's a toss-up if that's better or worse than seeing clattering collections of caliginous junk

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:01 PM)
I like my make-believe violent movies to have depth and meaning!

I remember a movie in the 70's that came out, the critics destroyed it, and mentioned that

the white and black of the army reminded them of hilter the Nazis. the critics were siskel and ebert. (sp)

move was Star Wars.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
I remember a movie in the 70's that came out, the critics destroyed it, and mentioned that

the white and black of the army reminded them of hilter the Nazis. the critics were siskel and ebert. (sp)

move was Star Wars.

Star Wars was nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars and Ebert's review of the film was positive.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
While I do not agree with the making of this movie, how is it treasonous? Are the film makers North Korean?

My bad, terrorist was the word, not treasonous

A foreign ministry spokesman, quoted by the North's official KCNA news agency, said the film was an act of terrorism and threatened to unleash a "merciless counter-measure" if Washington failed to ban it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-25/nort...ination/5550524

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)
I like my make-believe violent movies to have depth and meaning!

I don't think it is unfair to have an expectation that the movies aren't complete s*** in every way imaginable like the last two Transformers were and this one apparently is. Even the action scenes in those movies aren't entertaining because Michael Bay likes to do the quick cuts every 3 seconds.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
I don't think it is unfair to have an expectation that the movies aren't complete s*** in every way imaginable like the last two Transformers were and this one apparently is. Even the action scenes in those movies aren't entertaining because Michael Bay likes to do the quick cuts every 3 seconds.

TF3 actually cut a lot of that out because he filmed it in 3D. T2 was terrible in every way imaginable, 1 and 3 were tolerable, 3 was just way too long.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)
Star Wars was nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars and Ebert's review of the film was positive.

not when it first came out... my family and I watch the siskel and ebert reviews...

they may have change their mind afterward.

just as another movie > I went saw it and loved it. I took family and friends and after 4 or 5 times

the theater was barely filled. the actor was nominated and won the award... I can't remember if it was

best actor or supporting actor. the movie was usual suspects and Kevin Spacey was the actor

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 05:25 PM)
not when it first came out... my family and I watch the siskel and ebert reviews...

they may have change their mind afterward.

just as another movie > I went saw it and loved it. I took family and friends and after 4 or 5 times

the theater was barely filled. the actor was nominated and won the award... I can't remember if it was

best actor or supporting actor. the movie was usual suspects and Kevin Spacey was the actor

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-wars-1977

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 04:32 AM)

imdb said it came out may 25, 1977, yahoo search > may 25, trivia for movies > may 25, 1977.

yet ebert saw it on jan 1, 1977

fyi, I do remember the comment, however everything I found on google says something else. I will not

say you are wrong nor will I say I am wrong on this ..... it is over for me

It's becoming a great sport of course for the critics to outdo each other....screaming for attention by coming up with the most outlandish comments they can possibly make about the latest Bay directorial effort, or any Adam Sandler movie.

In the end, it makes them furious when those movies are so popular and profitable that they spawn more and more sequels.

Transformers, in the end, is about marketing and selling toy robots. In terms of whether it accomplishes that goal, Bay does it better than the Happy Meal (tricking all the kids into buying the food to get the surprise inside) or sugar-laced cereal advertising on Saturday mornings.

Then you have the cultural criticism that's intertwined with the tone of many movies that are coming out which are joint ventures between the U.S. and China. The last 35 minutes takes place in China/Hong Kong/Chongqing UNESCO World Heritage Site and is clearly pandering to achieve increased China box office results. At least, from what I understand, Li Bing Bing is more than just a face on the screen, in comparison to fellow Chinese star Fan Bing Bing, who was utilized to negligible effect at the end of Iron Man 3 and also the recent X-Men film. They even had a branded Transformers reality t.v. show, essentially a competition to select and cast 2 professional actors and 2-4 amateurs in the final version of the film...as well as the premieres and promotions in Shanghai and Hong Kong.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 05:46 AM)
It's becoming a great sport of course for the critics to outdo each other....screaming for attention by coming up with the most outlandish comments they can possibly make about the latest Bay directorial effort, or any Adam Sandler movie.

In the end, it makes them furious when those movies are so popular and profitable that they spawn more and more sequels.

Transformers, in the end, is about marketing and selling toy robots. In terms of whether it accomplishes that goal, Bay does it better than the Happy Meal (tricking all the kids into buying the food to get the surprise inside) or sugar-laced cereal advertising on Saturday mornings.

Then you have the cultural criticism that's intertwined with the tone of many movies that are coming out which are joint ventures between the U.S. and China. The last 35 minutes takes place in China/Hong Kong/Chongqing UNESCO World Heritage Site and is clearly pandering to achieve box office results. At least, from what I understand, Li Bing Bing is more than just a face on the screen, like Fan Bing Bing was used to little effect at the end of Iron Man 3 and also the recent X-Men film. They even had a branded Transformers reality t.v. show, essentially a competition to select and cast 2 professional actors and 2-4 amateurs in the final version of the film...as well as the premieres and promotions in Shanghai and Hong Kong.

a great insightful comment nice..........