2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2014 -> 11:56 PM)
Depending on your opinion of Godzilla.

Well, it's making a lot of money so far, which is equally important.

It's Star Wars. Only Brett Ratner would ruin the buzz.

I enjoyed Monsters more than Godzilla.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 23, 2014 -> 12:38 AM)
Love Anna Kendrick and Drinking Buddies. Happy Christmas looks awesome to me.

Liked DB as well but everyone I've recommended it to got mad at me because they thought it was boring. Guess they wanted a more cliche ending.

Edited by Brian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:17 PM)
X-Men will be fine, from everything you read.

Godzilla was terrible. The MUTO's looked like overgrown staplers with spindly legs that were bootlegged from a discarded Atlanta Falcons' NFL helmet design from a decade ago. The lead actor made Freddie Prinze, Jr., Orlando Bloom and Ryan Philippe look like Masterpiece Theatre thespians extraordinaire.

I think I would actually rather watch the 1998 movie again rather than see that particular film a second time.

As far as movies to be excited about in the future, try Nolan's INTERSTELLAR.

Somehow I knew you would find a reason to say this. Admittedly I loved Godzilla, because I love the original(in which Godzilla appeared for exactly 17 minutes), and I honestly dont care about the human story because it is a Godzilla movie. Complaining about how a MUTO looks is hilarious when you think about what every other costume creature looked like in Godzillas history.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 22, 2014 -> 11:20 PM)
Disney with a great hire as Gareth Edwards will direct one of the Star Wars spin offs.

Well they negated that by hiring Gary Whitta with him.

Edit: I actually post on another forum with him. I knew he was a big Star Wars geek who hated the prequels and bashed them every opportunity. I just went to go check out his thoughts from 2010 and saw he edited every one of his posts yesterday after it was announced he would be writing the next film, lol.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Brian @ May 23, 2014 -> 06:43 AM)
Liked DB as well but everyone I've recommended it to got mad at me because they thought it was boring. Guess they wanted a more cliche ending.

It bored the hell out of me. And I didn't think it was possible to be bored when I get to stare at Anna and Olivia Wilde for 2 hours but that movie accomplished it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
Movie selection f***ing sucks these days. My wife and I are taking the day off work tomorrow and the kiddo gets to go to day care. Free parent day. Everyone rejoice. How to spend our free time? Let's go see a movie in the theaters for the first time since last fall. My choices are s*** (all comic book movies), s*** (Million Dollar Arm, the movie with the three chicks and Jamie Lannister, Rio 2) and a movie I do want to see (The Neighbors) but refuse to pay 20-25 bucks to see when I can watch it for a $1.50 in 6 months.

So our choice is Godzilla, which I'm mildly excited to see. But it's going to cost us $40 bucks to see a movie that comes with a 50% chance of being awful if what i'm reading is true.

Can hollywood please just come up with some original ideas for the summer? I saw a lot of the Oscar nominated movies last year and they were mostly good. But summer blockbusters are always f'n terrible. Just make some good, non-comic book, non-reboot action movies. Is that really too much to ask for?

What a ridiculous post. If the one movie you want to see is out you see it. All movies will be available to rent at some point.

Tomorrow, the wife and I are seeing X-Men. Captain America, The Neighbors, and Godzilla are all excellent. You just hate everything. The selection right now is awesome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2014 -> 07:34 PM)
DOFP was ok, even pretty good, but First Class was clearly better. The roles were better written, deeper, and more well played, and the action scenes in DOFP didn't measure up to what I was hoping for.

Saw DOFP and Godzilla at the drive in last night...i would agree with this assessment of Xmen.......Godzilla was nothing special (I will admit I wasn't expecting much going in either)

Saw Godzilla in IMAX 3D this weekend. I really enjoyed it. I personally liked the way they slowly built to Godzilla's arrival and the build-up to the big battle at the end. There were some great scenes with the MUTO, too. The scene on the railroad bridge was awesome.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 27, 2014 -> 06:06 AM)
Saw Godzilla in IMAX 3D this weekend. I really enjoyed it. I personally liked the way they slowly built to Godzilla's arrival and the build-up to the big battle at the end. There were some great scenes with the MUTO, too. The scene on the railroad bridge was awesome.

I couldnt agree more. I really really liked it. I knew going in that

Godzilla's presence was relatively minor

. I like the twist that

Godzilla was the "good guy"

I liked the nice balance between story and destruction, and it wasnt destruction just to have destruction.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2014 -> 07:34 PM)
DOFP was ok, even pretty good, but First Class was clearly better. The roles were better written, deeper, and more well played, and the action scenes in DOFP didn't measure up to what I was hoping for.

I loved First Class aside from the abundance of incredibly stupid mutants they included in it...but the main characters were all great.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 27, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
I couldnt agree more. I really really liked it. I knew going in that

Godzilla's presence was relatively minor

. I like the twist that

Godzilla was the "good guy"

I liked the nice balance between story and destruction, and it wasnt destruction just to have destruction.

I liked the balance, too. And I thought the quick snippets of fights before switching to another scene really built on the suspense of the big final battle. My son and I (along with others in the theater) cheered when Godzilla

killed the second MUTO by breathing fire down its throat.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 27, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
I liked the balance, too. And I thought the quick snippets of fights before switching to another scene really built on the suspense of the big final battle. My son and I (along with others in the theater) cheered when Godzilla

killed the second MUTO by breathing fire down its throat.

My first thought was

"maybe he should have started with that move"

lol

It was difficult for me to get past how dumb the military was in that movie. Both simple things, like carrying around pistols and holding them at a ready position when searching for godzilla/MUTO's (because that'll do something?), and more complex things,

like moving that nuke by train, out in the open, despite knowing that the MUTO's are attracted to and will be searching out radioactive material, like a nuke.

That was all incredibly stupid.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 27, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
It was difficult for me to get past how dumb the military was in that movie. Both simple things, like carrying around pistols and holding them at a ready position when searching for godzilla/MUTO's (because that'll do something?), and more complex things,

like moving that nuke by train, out in the open, despite knowing that the MUTO's are attracted to and will be searching out radioactive material, like a nuke.

I just turn off that part of my brain in Godzilla movies. They are always incredibly dumb, and always have to wait for Godzilla to bail them out.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 27, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)

They had to move them by train. The two M.U.T.O were using electromagnetic pulses to crash the planes.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 27, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)

They had to move them by train. The two M.U.T.O were using electromagnetic pulses to crash the planes.

It's not like they were driving a steam locomotive though... I mean I guess if an EMP hit them it wasn't going to crash, but still.