2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
If only I had his $$.

Or women, lol.

So what are some of your favorite movies of the last 3-5 years (and I promise not to rip on them...since I generally find something likable about nearly every movie I watch)?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
Or women, lol.

So what are some of your favorite movies of the last 3-5 years (and I promise not to rip on them...since I generally find something likable about nearly every movie I watch)?

I'm sure i'm missing some, but looking at a list of some movies the last couple of years:

Serious movie category:

Gravity, Lincoln, Captain Phillips, Argo (although slightly overrated), Flight, King's Speech

Actiony summer blockbuster category:

Zero Dark Thirty, Inception, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Hunger Games (not great, but I enjoyed both), the Star Trek reboots were good, Nolan's Batman movies were good (though I seriously wonder if Chicago wasn't prominently featured how much I would really like them. The 2nd is clearly the best), Skyfall, the two Hobbit movies (nostalgia mostly)

Comedies:

21 Jump Street, This is the End, The Internship, Bridesmaids, Horrible Bosses...

"Other" movies:

Spring Breakers I liked, pretty much all of the Pixar/animated movies i've had to watch and have liked most of them for what they are.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
I'm sure i'm missing some, but looking at a list of some movies the last couple of years:

Serious movie category:

Gravity, Lincoln, Captain Phillips, Argo (although slightly overrated), Flight, King's Speech

Actiony summer blockbuster category:

Zero Dark Thirty, Inception, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Hunger Games (not great, but I enjoyed both), the Star Trek reboots were good, Nolan's Batman movies were good (though I seriously wonder if Chicago wasn't prominently featured how much I would really like them. The 2nd is clearly the best), Skyfall, the two Hobbit movies (nostalgia mostly)

Comedies:

21 Jump Street, This is the End, The Internship, Bridesmaids, Horrible Bosses...

"Other" movies:

Spring Breakers I liked, pretty much all of the Pixar/animated movies i've had to watch and have liked most of them for what they are.

Flight was a bit of an underrated movie, but then again, I like everything Denzel does.

Interesting pick with The Internship, of course it was formulaic and predictable in many ways, but it had its moments. We're to the point now with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson movies that it's hard for them to surprise us, so when they do "okay" work, it gets panned just like they're comparable with Adam Sandler these days. FWIW, Owen Wilson always makes me laugh, no matter how often he plays the same character over and over again. Vaughn can be another story.

Spring Breakers won't be on my class viewing list here in China....that movie was definitely WAY out there, but it was meant to be provocative and force us to think of Selena Gomez as "sort of" a bad girl. As with Vince Vaughn, a little Franco can go a long way (better in This is the End), but watching the piano/karaoke Britney Spears song was worth it just for that alone, and his ridiculous hipster grill and dreadlocks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 12:47 AM)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/12/o...kusaolp00000592

8 movies from the last 15 years that are way overrated...some interesting choices. The one I really agree on was The Hurt Locker. Blue Valentine was just depressing, although well-acted.

I'm one of the few that pretty much despised The Matrix.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 06:49 AM)
I'm one of the few that pretty much despised The Matrix.

Gravity was boring? What movie did she watch? That was nearly nonstop action for 90 minutes. Avatar's story was a little weak, but the visuals and the world he created made it great (and it's the best 3d movie ever so far). I agree Drive was overrated, and while I liked the Descendants the story was pretty hollow.

Redboxing it lately.

Despicable Me 2 - Funny, clever, cute - not as good as the first one due to thin plot. - 3.5 stars out of 5.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Entertaining, but felt like a "to be continued" film throughout as opposed to chapter two. - 4 stars out of 5.

Part I was easily 4.5 out of 5.

Flight - Exciting in the action scene, then then slows down and gets extra maudilin and slow and you feel like you're watching a parable. Overrated. - 2.5 stars out of 5.

Monuments Men - Tries to be clever - fails, tries to be historical - fails at that too. Had potential but kind of flat. - 2.5 stars out of 5.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
Gravity was boring? What movie did she watch? That was nearly nonstop action for 90 minutes. Avatar's story was a little weak, but the visuals and the world he created made it great (and it's the best 3d movie ever so far). I agree Drive was overrated, and while I liked the Descendants the story was pretty hollow.

Avatar was a weak retelling of Dances with Wolves, as there was almost no difference in the stories, just the settings. But yes, the visuals and action sequences were somewhat cool. Avatar was good, but being that it's like one of the highest grossing movies of all time makes me say it's overrated to a very high degree.

Oh, and I saw Avatar in 3D, and just like every other 3D movie I've ever seen, meh. I prefer it in 2D. I just do not like 3D movies.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
More like Pocahantas, but yes the story wasn't exactly original. Still, I don't see how you can call it overrated.

Pocahantas and Dances with Wolves are pretty much the same story anyways, as is Avatar

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 06:53 PM)
How To Train Your Dragon 2 is AMAZING. Good story, decent ending...and a curve. Wow.

Looking forward to it tomorrow with my son and daughter. The first one blew me away in 3d imax

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 05:53 PM)
How To Train Your Dragon 2 is AMAZING. Good story, decent ending...and a curve. Wow.

Still think the first one was the second best IMAX/3D movie ever, after Avatar.

I'd put Pacific Rim and Gravity up there now as well.

Finally saw Godzilla (it just debuted in China this weekend, five weeks late) in 3D and enjoyed it a lot more than online, but still wished there was more of Cranston and less of the lead actor. The whole "family drama," while requisite in these disaster/monster/aliens stories, was just flat from the halfway point of the movie. Ken Watanabe made it more watchable, and the monster battles in the 2nd half were pretty well done, but it wasn't a movie I would want to watch again anytime soon.

On the other hand, it is more true to the origins stories (nuclear era experimentation, aftereffects from Hiroshima and Nagasaki) and the idea of rooting for Godzilla is more true to the Japanese vision of him, versus the 1998 film.

Finally got around to watching Captain Phillips.......I liked it a lot. read about the incident and it didn't seem like too many liberties were taken by the movie.

Though my 12 year old kept shouting throughout the movie...."There is only 4 of them and how many of you????" lol

How to Train Your Dragon 2 was great.

kind of felt like Stoic would die, I know Gerard Butler wasn't too keen on reprising his role. Didn't expect Toothless to be the one to kill him though

Drago Bloodfist was a pretty good villain, Djimon Hounsou was very well voice cast for the part

Finally found a copy of The Fault in our Stars online, with Spanish subtitles, haha.

It's been pretty tough here in China not being able to watch Neighbors, The Other Woman, Chef, The Grand Budapest Hotel and 22 Jump Street, Million Dollar Arm. Pretty sure How To Train Your Dragon 2 comes out next month.

Transformers 4 next weekend...

Just to keep Greg happy, I've watched Noah, Son of God (not my favorite telling of that story, The Passion of the Christ or even The Last Temptation of Christ were much more compelling viewing), Heaven is for Real (always enjoy Kinnear), Blended (Chinese students love this movie, showed it the final week when we were done with reviewing for finals).

Edge of Tomorrow and X-Men are still playing here...along with Godzilla.

And then episodes of the new 24/Live Another Day season. Never watched the original, but am enjoying it.

Edited by caulfield12