2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

Went to see Edge of Tomorrow the other day, and was actually liking it... until the theater experienced technical difficulties 2/3 of the way through the movie (and all the other screens went out too). Waiting 15 minutes, didn't know when it would be fixed, decided to leave.

At least I got free passes to go see it again. That was really frustrating.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm late to the game on this one, but I really enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow (now that I got to see all of it). I'd describe it as a good popcorn movie - plus. It had that fun summer action movie thing down, but added a little more in the way of character study (but not too much), some nice humor, and a couple slightly unusual story line angles. The combo worked well, and it was deeper and better than I expected it to be. Loved Bill Paxton's character.

Went and saw Rio 2 with the fam at the dollar theater on Friday.

Pretty clever - nice to see so many celebs doing voices in it. I'd say it was a solid 3 out of 5 stars.

Not memorable, but worth seeing at a discount.

Never saw the first Rio movie so I hope that I didn't miss out on anything exciting. ;)

The Raid 2 (A-)....awesome movie, the last 30 minutes (and it's a 2:30+ hour movie) has one of the best knife fights you'll ever see.

Gareth Evans directed. The first movie was grittier and more memorable, this one is flashier, higher budget and comes at you with probably 1 hour and 15 minutes of almost non-stop fighting sequences and Tarantino-esque and beyond violence.

The Fault in our Stars...B (more of a fan of the novel, but the film was pretty faithful to the source material...definitely a tear-jerker for the last 1/4th of the movie)

Neighbors...B+

Loved Xmen and Edge of Tomorrow -- have zero interest in fault of our stars or whatever that movie is called. I make it a point to avoid tear jerking depressing movies -- all you need to do is turn on the news if you're looking for that.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
Had the day off on Friday so decided to go to a movie solo for the first time and ended up being the only person in the theatre, so that was cool. Saw X Men and loved it.

I love going to Wed matinees in Round Lake alone. My day off. Empty theatre that is surprisingly nice.

Edge of Tomorrow was fun, despite the guy who brought his 3 young daughters and never told them to sit down and be quiet when the continuously stood up and talked, disturbing everyone.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
Edge of Tomorrow was fun, despite the guy who brought his 3 young daughters and never told them to sit down and be quiet when the continuously stood up and talked, disturbing everyone.

Who even brings young kids to a movie like that? Drives me nuts.

I've said before, would love to see movie theaters designate certain screens/rooms to be 18 and over only. I've been to too many movies where some idiot(s) bring their toddlers and little kids to an R-rated movie.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)

I've said before, would love to see movie theaters designate certain screens/rooms to be 18 and over only. I've been to too many movies where some idiot(s) bring their toddlers and little kids to an R-rated movie.

Well, depends on the kids age -- that WAS a PG13 movie, after all.

And they have these...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/ShowPlace...4ca3f07a5a09b1f

ICON Showplace is 21 and older upstairs, and regular theater downstairs for the childrens ... Muvico in Rosemont also does this.

Oh, and they serve alcohol, too. ;)

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
Well, depends on the kids age -- that WAS a PG13 movie, after all.

Well sure, I'm not talking about 14 year olds here. By that age they are at least capable of controlling themselves.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
And they have these...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/ShowPlace...4ca3f07a5a09b1f

ICON Showplace is 21 and older upstairs, and regular theater downstairs for the childrens ... Muvico in Rosemont also does this.

Oh, and they serve alcohol, too. ;)

Fascinating.

When I went to see Neighbors I saw two or 3 parents bring their kids who were younger than 14 at least, a couple looked younger. I don't understand why they would bring kids to a movie like that.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
When I went to see Neighbors I saw two or 3 parents bring their kids who were younger than 14 at least, a couple looked younger. I don't understand why they would bring kids to a movie like that.

Some lady brought her 10 year old to 22 Jump Street. Well behaved but I'd never bring my 10 year old to that.

The R-rated scenario happens very frequently here in South Texas. Too much for my taste.

Also, Alamo Drafthouse is pretty similar to Icon...18+ only even for PG movies because of the alcohol you can get while watching the flix. Good food too. Great experience.

Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
Random question, but how do you guys know the ages of the children these people are bringing to the movies?Do they announce it as they sit, or do you ask them?

You can just tell.. I didn't know the exact ages but there was 4 or 5 that were at least under 14 or 15.. I know when I was that age I would not want to go to a rated R movie about frat parties with my parents.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
Random question, but how do you guys know the ages of the children these people are bringing to the movies?Do they announce it as they sit, or do you ask them?

It's not difficult to distinguish between a kid that's say 8, 12 or 16. I bet I could peg a kid under 13-14 with pretty high accuracy. I'm sure most people could. Not only by how old they look but how they talk and move around.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
It's not difficult to distinguish between a kid that's say 8, 12 or 16. I bet I could peg a kid under 13-14 with pretty high accuracy. I'm sure most people could. Not only by how old they look but how they talk and move around.

It can be ... growing up I was always mistaken for a very young kid when I wasn't. At 18, people thought I was 13, and at 21, unless I had 537 forms of picture ID, every last bar/restaurant would reject serving me alcohol because I still looked about 15.