2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (qwerty @ May 13, 2014 -> 11:04 PM)
About twelve in the last five days. Too many too mention. Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak from 1988 was one of them... which is their take on Romeo and Juliet. As far as I am concerned it is the best take on Romeo and Juliet I have ever seen. His raw emotions for his "Juliet'' is beyond compare. To say he loved her would be a disgrace to the meaning of the word. The ending? Superbly shot... gut wrenching. Heh. Also, I am sure you being a teacher you love the film ''Like Stars On Earth''? If you did not know, it was a rather personal film to him, and it was his directorial debut.

His new film, which he has co-written, Peekay (2014) sounds rather intriguing to me.

I'll have to check that out. Where did you even find that old one, from online/streaming or you bought it?

Have seen Like Stars on Earth and have shared it with a lot of my classes over the last 2-3 years, especially my lower-level ESL classes that needed some encouragement or hope when things were a bit of a slog.

Really a great movie.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 15, 2014 -> 08:34 PM)
Better than Pacific Rim?

If you try to watch Pacific Rim at home, it just doesn't do it justice.

That's one of those movies, unless you watch in IMAX/3-D with surround-sound, isn't going to be nearly as enjoyable.

With Godzilla, it would be a shocker if China outgrosses the US, because Godzilla's coming out here in the middle of June, and quite a few will have already seen it online...that said, if it's really good, Chinese really love to go see 3-D movies at the theatre.

Titanic remake-3D conversion also did better box office here than in the States.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 16, 2014 -> 03:07 PM)
Fun movie, very respectful of the originals. Aaron Taylor-Johnson was flat, but nbd to me

Studios seem to be struggling to break out a new male star.

Taylor Kitsch bombed in Battleship and John Carter.

Charlie Hunnam was decent in Pacific Rim but didn't register in the U.S.

Aaron Paul's Need for Speed was barely noticed.

Kit Harington in Pompeii.

Andrew Garfield hasn't exactly set the world on fire as Spider-Man. Better as Eduardo Saverin in The Social Network.

Edited by caulfield12

Finally watched MONSTERS since Godzilla is all the hype. It's solid. Nothing great. Guessing it's how Godzilla is structured. Not too much monsters, lots of characters.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 16, 2014 -> 07:20 PM)
Finally watched MONSTERS since Godzilla is all the hype. It's solid. Nothing great. Guessing it's how Godzilla is structured. Not too much monsters, lots of characters.

Eh, once the monsters start up, it gets past the characters

Nobody saw "Million Dollar Arm" yet?

Saturday Update: Warner Bros. reports that Godzilla stormed the box office on Friday for $38.53 million, giving it the best opening day of any film so far in 2014. That figure includes $9.3 million from Thursday shows and $6.2 million from IMAX screenings. BoxOffice currently projects a $98 million weekend based on yesterday's business, which would give it the best debut of the year up to this point (Captain America: The Winter Soldier currently holds that title with $95 million).

Early word of mouth looks mostly positive with an 80 percent Flixster score as of Saturday morning, although the film's reported CinemaScore was a modest "B+". Regardless, the opening validates one of the most effective, and impressive, marketing campaigns to come along in awhile. WB wisely sold the film as a character-driven disaster flick rather than a straight-up creature feature, and the dividends are paying huge as mainstream audiences connected with the reboot on a level that few saw coming. Where legs go from here will depend on the aforementioned word of mouth, as well as immediate competition from X-Men: Days of Future Past (opening next week).

Meanwhile, Disney's Million Dollar Arm posted $3.46 million in its debut yesterday. BoxOffice projects a $10.8 million weekend from there. The Jon Hamm-led baseball drama was expected to open modestly well, while staying power is the name of the game as Disney hopes buzz for the film spreads through and beyond Memorial Day weekend. For now, the opening is in line with recent sports-centric flicks Draft Day ($9.8 million opening weekend) and Trouble with the Curve ($12.2 million).

from boxoffice.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
If you try to watch Pacific Rim at home, it just doesn't do it justice.

That's one of those movies, unless you watch in IMAX/3-D with surround-sound, isn't going to be nearly as enjoyable.

With Godzilla, it would be a shocker if China outgrosses the US, because Godzilla's coming out here in the middle of June, and quite a few will have already seen it online...that said, if it's really good, Chinese really love to go see 3-D movies at the theatre.

Titanic remake-3D conversion also did better box office here than in the States.

Pacific rim needs to be watched on a huge tv with really loud surround sound. It's the only way.

Godzilla did Godzilla things

fire breath!!

, that's all I asked for. They tried to add a compelling human story, but that ended when

Cranston died, which really disappointed me

. All in all, the fight scenes were more than enough to make me forget about Aaron Taylor Johnsons non-moving non-emotional face

Also, I saw Fast 6 last night on HBO. The final scene on the runway, that had to be at least a 50 mile runway, right? Lol

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 18, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
Godzilla did Godzilla things

fire breath!!

, that's all I asked for. They tried to add a compelling human story, but that ended when

Cranston died, which really disappointed me

. All in all, the fight scenes were more than enough to make me forget about Aaron Taylor Johnsons non-moving non-emotional face

Also, I saw Fast 6 last night on HBO. The final scene on the runway, that had to be at least a 50 mile runway, right? Lol

My main problem with the movie is we only got to see Godzilla in action for like 5 minutes and even the fight seems weren't very compelling. But if you are going to make a giant monster movie that doesn't really feature the monster you really need to have non-awful human characters and it would be nice if something of interest happened before the final 15 minutes.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 18, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
My main problem with the movie is we only got to see Godzilla in action for like 5 minutes and even the fight seems weren't very compelling. But if you are going to make a giant monster movie that doesn't really feature the monster you really need to have non-awful human characters and it would be nice if something of interest happened before the final 15 minutes.

It was the "Jaws" approach, hide the monster until the very end. The movie was inspired by the 1954 Godzilla movie where you really don't see him until towards the end as well.

I was a bit let down that we didn't really see anything happen

in Hawaii when the train scene happened,

but I get it. The tsunami and power outage were awesome

Godzilla 2 in development

http://screenrant.com/godzilla-2-in-development/

Godzilla had the biggest international opening yet in 2014 and the second biggest domestic opening (behind Captain America 2), taking the number 1 spot in the U.S. Right out of the gate, Godzilla raked in $9.3 million in Thursday night advance showings, pulling a total of $93 million domestically and $196 worldwide. Godzilla also had the biggest IMAX opening of the year with $14.1 million – 15 percent of its total domestic earnings – while 51 percent of the film’s international gross was from IMAX screens. Deadline reports that, in response to the promising numbers, Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures are already developing a Godzilla 2.

Comparatively, the King of the Monsters’ last American film – Roland Emmerich’s 1998 Godzilla – grossed $55 million in its Memorial Day opening weekend, $136 million domestically, and $379 million overall (on a $130 million budget).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Nobody saw "Million Dollar Arm" yet?

Saturday Update: Warner Bros. reports that Godzilla stormed the box office on Friday for $38.53 million, giving it the best opening day of any film so far in 2014. That figure includes $9.3 million from Thursday shows and $6.2 million from IMAX screenings. BoxOffice currently projects a $98 million weekend based on yesterday's business, which would give it the best debut of the year up to this point (Captain America: The Winter Soldier currently holds that title with $95 million).

Early word of mouth looks mostly positive with an 80 percent Flixster score as of Saturday morning, although the film's reported CinemaScore was a modest "B+". Regardless, the opening validates one of the most effective, and impressive, marketing campaigns to come along in awhile. WB wisely sold the film as a character-driven disaster flick rather than a straight-up creature feature, and the dividends are paying huge as mainstream audiences connected with the reboot on a level that few saw coming. Where legs go from here will depend on the aforementioned word of mouth, as well as immediate competition from X-Men: Days of Future Past (opening next week).

Meanwhile, Disney's Million Dollar Arm posted $3.46 million in its debut yesterday. BoxOffice projects a $10.8 million weekend from there. The Jon Hamm-led baseball drama was expected to open modestly well, while staying power is the name of the game as Disney hopes buzz for the film spreads through and beyond Memorial Day weekend. For now, the opening is in line with recent sports-centric flicks Draft Day ($9.8 million opening weekend) and Trouble with the Curve ($12.2 million).

from boxoffice.com

I saw Million Dollar Arm. I remember reading about the actual story in SI a few years back. It was fine for a cliched sports movie. My girlfriend is a Pirates fan and wanted to see it. John Hamm was good but I wouldn't blame anyone waiting for it to come out on Blu-Ray.

I saw Neighbors too. Pleasantly surprised. I laughed pretty much throughout. Seth Rogen is so hit or miss.