2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
The last Batman and Superman movies combined to make almost 2 billion dollars.

I wouldn't say DC is lost or a train wreck. I would say they are rich.

They are completely failing at creating a "cinematic universe" like Marvel. Out side of The Dark Knight movies, they have completely failed to capitalize on their other IP like Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman.

It's basically: Here's three awesome Batman movies... here's 2 bad superman movies... OH HEY, now they're together.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
True about the money but outside of Nolan's trilogy, the movies are awful.

They haven't done as well as Marvel, but it's not like Marvel hasn't made awful movies.

I'm amazed at how well the Marvel universe has worked out. It seems impossible to make that work because it can so easily veer into campy.

But I was sold after the first Thor. I couldn't believe how fun that was.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
Am I the only one on the planet that has not seen, or have any interest in seeing, any of these comic book movies (sans the Nolan Batman series)? I feel like I am.

You are.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
Am I the only one on the planet that has not seen, or have any interest in seeing, any of these comic book movies (sans the Nolan Batman series)? I feel like I am.

You sir, deserve to be executed.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
They are completely failing at creating a "cinematic universe" like Marvel. Out side of The Dark Knight movies, they have completely failed to capitalize on their other IP like Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman.

It's basically: Here's three awesome Batman movies... here's 2 bad superman movies... OH HEY, now they're together.

I think the one I'm most disappointed in is the Green Lantern. That has a chance to be a huge universe on it's own and they really messed it up and don't seem to be in a hurry to fix it.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
They haven't done as well as Marvel, but it's not like Marvel hasn't made awful movies.

Within the Avengers universe storyline, there hasnt been any awful movies IMO. There have been a few that leave a lot to be desired(Hulk, Thor 1), but even those movies look amazing compared to Green Lantern.

I didnt hate Man of Steel, but the Snyder effect really bothers me.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
Within the Avengers universe storyline, there hasnt been any awful movies IMO. There have been a few that leave a lot to be desired(Hulk, Thor 1), but even those movies look amazing compared to Green Lantern.

I didnt hate Man of Steel, but the Snyder effect really bothers me.

I think most of the movies in the Avengers universe have been pretty good, Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 were just ok. Just about everything outside of it has been either bad or just ok.

People always talk about how bad Green Lantern was, but look at Hulk(2003), Spider-Man 3 and X-Men 3. Those were just as bad if not worse.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
You sir, deserve to be executed.

Ha, probably. I dunno, I don't get the fascination. I was never into comic books as a kid, so i'm sure that's part of it. But I remember watching the first Spider Man with Toby McGuire and thinking this is so full of cliches and just awful, i'm never doing this again. The Batman movies were an exception, mainly because two of the three were filmed in Chicago and they were a little darker.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
True about the money but outside of Nolan's trilogy, the movies are awful.

I'll point out again, while it was a very different look and feel, the first Batman back in the late 80's was very good. Each successive movie after went downhill though, until Nolan came along.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
I think most of the movies in the Avengers universe have been pretty good, Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 were just ok. Just about everything outside of it has been either bad or just ok.

People always talk about how bad Green Lantern was, but look at Hulk(2003), Spider-Man 3 and X-Men 3. Those were just as bad if not worse.

I dont include those because those arent Marvel productions, those are Sony and Fox. The Ang Lee Hulk was pretty bad

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)

Yeah, Iron Man 2 sucked. 3 was okay, but the ending was a CGI mess.

Thor has been decent...but it's not like it has torn up the box office or anything. The most interesting character in those movies has always been Loki, and that's not a good thing if he's not the person the movie is named after, (unless it's Heath Ledger, the one exception). For example, why were we supposed to care that Natalie Portman's assistant was dating someone...just a silly subplot that was tacked on. And what kind of enemy was the Aether or whatever it was?

The first 30 minutes of the original Thor film...setting up Asgard and that realm, that was great film-making by Branagh. As soon as he came down to Earth, it got just a bit campy. It was a fun type of camp, and harmless fun....but the storytelling and tone is nothing approaching the quality of the two Captain America films (so far).

It was almost, but not quite as ridiculous as that amorphous blob villain from Green Lantern.

Captain America: The First Avenger was one of the better movies but not as well marketed as it should or could have been.

Incredible Hulk has been bungled ever since Ang Lee took a shot at it....whether it was Eric Bana or Norton.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
I dont include those because those arent Marvel productions, those are Sony and Fox. The Ang Lee Hulk was pretty bad

It's gotta kill Marvel that they don't have control of some of their characters.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
It's gotta kill Marvel that they don't have control of some of their characters.

Could you imagine what they would be doing right now if they had Spiderman, Xmen, and Fantastic 4? This Avengers universe story would be insane

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
Could you imagine what they would be doing right now if they had Spiderman, Xmen, and Fantastic 4? This Avengers universe story would be insane

They have to sit back and watch Fantastic Four 1 and 2 get made. That would drive me to homicide.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
You are.

They're nowhere near as good as this thread would have you believe. Thor was solid and had some really good comic relief. Iron Man was very good because RDJ totally carried it with his charisma. Hulk was just okay. The Avengers was pure cheese. I didn't even finish Captain America. None of the Marvel movies are even in the same stratosphere as the Batman Trilogy or Hellboy IMO.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
I'm honestly not sure there is a single thing I find redeeming about that film.

It was f***ing terrible. The only redeeming part of the film is that he did look like a solid Superman.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
I'm honestly not sure there is a single thing I find redeeming about that film.

The only thing I liked was that they did some back story on planet Krypton, which was never done in the Reeves Superman.