2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

Watched Gravity this weekend. I enjoyed it, but I think it probably lost a lot of what made it so good on DVD. I really wish I had made it to the theater. I saw the preview in front of Pacific Rim in IMax, and the trailer alone blew me away.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cate Blanchette is quickly becoming the female version of Daniel Day-Lewis.

I will say I wouldn't really be interested in watching Blue Jasmine again, it, just like Reservation Road, Love Liza (P. Seymour Hoffman) or Before Midnight. Too depressing and grating.

It's nice to know that a lot of people will be watching Dallas Buyer's Club because of all the honors for Leto and McConaughey.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
The Grammys have sweet musical performances and everyone is drunk at the Golden Globes. The Oscars is just a bunch of pretentious assholes acting like the world depends on them.

Awesome wording of that post! Loved it.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
Now that you mention it, yes. There are always old, vain goats who have problems reading off it and weirdos too zonked to read it properly (Travolta), but it seemed like it kept happening to Ellen, too

Great post! What did Travolta do?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 07:51 PM)
rightfully so.

From what I have read, Bill was mad at Harold for taking credit for creating the Bill Murray movie role, and Harold was mad at Bill for acting like he was too good for Harolds movies anymore. So, ego ruins a good thing

I thought the Murray tribute was really great. It was pure class to throw that in there quickly and he immediately apologized to this year's finalists.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
Watched Gravity this weekend. I enjoyed it, but I think it probably lost a lot of what made it so good on DVD. I really wish I had made it to the theater. I saw the preview in front of Pacific Rim in IMax, and the trailer alone blew me away.

I watched it in IMAX 3D...The Oscars that it got for the technical awards were well deserved. Best sounding, and looking movie I've seen in theaters.

It's a one of those movies that should come out for a few weeks every other year or so in IMAX 3D so people can watch it that missed it(or to watch again).

Edited by onedude

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Gravity on Friday.

My Mini Spoiler Free Review: The cinematography is some of the best you'll ever see, especially in 3D (I didnt see Avatar in theaters). This movie will not have the same impact in a home environment. It's so immersive that it needs a large screen. The opening dialogue (10 minutes or so) was really bad and seemed forced, they could have used some better writers.

Really, do astronauts have that kind of conversations with ground control? I would expect more professionalism.

The plot is a little far fetched... but aren't the plots of most movies a little hard to believe? If you suspend disbelief, it's fine.

Seriously, she magically made it from the middle of nowhere to TWO different space stations? Please.

I was kind of hoping the ending would be the opposite of what happened.

In my opinion, when she was putting herself to sleep would have been a great ending. Of course she survived, I mean, if a space shuttle explodes in space, naturally she would find a way to travel to a far of space station and use its escape pod.

Don't bother watching NEED FOR SPEED, even if you're a Jesse Pinkman fan.

Wait for DVD. Well, the cars are cool, at least. And the English actress is adorable.

Have been on a Japanese animation kick recently:

Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, Up on the Cliff, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa in the Valley of the Wind

Caught some movies on plane rides this weekend:

12 Years A Slave - good solid movie, but something about it keeps it from being in the great category. I don't think it was as "deep" as it could have been. It was more of a " and then this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened" kind of movie. 10 more minutes of some back story would have been helpful to engage me a little more with the characters. I'm also not really sure why Nyong'o won for best supporting actress. Admittedly I'm not sure about her competition, but I really didn't see anything special about her performance. Especially since her screen time seemed relatively brief. Frankly out of everyone in that movie I thought Fassbender did the best. Ejiofor was also good, but I felt like he overacted a bit at times. (the "i'm trying to survive" or whatever line was way over the top). Also LOL at Brad Pitt. Christ is he awful. Maybe that's why it wasn't great. His addition was so distracting it immediately took me out of the movie.

Wolf of Wall Street - again, good solid movie, very entertaining, but not great. Why Leo was nominated is beyond me. He's literally just playing Leo from every movie he's ever made. Same with Hill - he was funny, but what was so great about that performance? Minor gripes, since the movie itself was pretty good. Typical Scorcese though, 20-30 minutes too long.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)

Wolf of Wall Street - again, good solid movie, very entertaining, but not great. Why Leo was nominated is beyond me. He's literally just playing Leo from every movie he's ever made. Same with Hill - he was funny, but what was so great about that performance? Minor gripes, since the movie itself was pretty good. Typical Scorcese though, 20-30 minutes too long.

I think Leo role was damn good.

My main gripe with the movie was the poo-pooing of what they were actually doing illegally really hurt the movie.

I thought Kyle Chandler was the best role in the movie and would have preferred he play a bigger role (the boat scene was by far the best).

I saw it this past weekend, and after seeing it, I think a lot of the criticisms of the movie were pretty valid. It was just a bro-heaven genre movie. The last 30 minutes when the party stopped did not redeem that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)

I don't think I could watch that on a plane. Too afraid someone would happen to glance over and see something. Lots of very not family-friendly stuff going on in there. Perhaps I'm overly paranoid about that though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
I don't think I could watch that on a plane. Too afraid someone would happen to glance over and see something. Lots of very not family-friendly stuff going on in there. Perhaps I'm overly paranoid about that though.

I watch stuff on my ipad on the train and once in awhile some girls gets naked when I'm not expecting it and I kinda turn the screen in embarrassment.

Lol, it's funny you guys mention that. My wife and I were watching it. She was in the middle seat, I was next to the window. Every time there was even a chance of a boob she quickly bent forward to "block" anyone seeing it. I was cognizant of it, but I didn't care as much as she did.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
I think Leo role was damn good.

My main gripe with the movie was the poo-pooing of what they were actually doing illegally really hurt the movie.

I thought Kyle Chandler was the best role in the movie and would have preferred he play a bigger role (the boat scene was by far the best).

I saw it this past weekend, and after seeing it, I think a lot of the criticisms of the movie were pretty valid. It was just a bro-heaven genre movie. The last 30 minutes when the party stopped did not redeem that.

I thought DiCaprio was great in it. My main complaint with the movie was that it was about a half hour too long. The whole scene with the boat in the storm easily could have been cut.

And you're right, Kyle Chandler was fantastic, as was the boat scene.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 03:37 AM)
The whole scene with the boat in the storm easily could have been cut.

I agree, I think he was just trying to include a scene to show how he sacrificed everyone around him to keep the party going, and the catalyst for him getting clean.

Both of those were compensating for the fact that they did a terrible job of showing the first part in the earlier parts of the movie.