2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
I saw Draft Day. The NFL Draft is my favorite event of the year. The movie was pretty bad but I love that they actually made a movie about the NFL Draft. I don't want to give too much away but some unrealistic things happen obviously and it was kind of thrown together. It was cool seeing the actual team facilities though in the movie and if you like the NFL Draft it is worth seeing. Just know what you are seeing ahead of time.

It was ridiculous and over the top and way too dramatic, even for the NFL Draft, but the gf asked if the Draft itself was that crazy and my response was, "Well, yeah, it kinda is crazy and nuts like that."

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
I just saw leaked Wondercon footage of the train destruction scene in Godzilla(before it was pulled by the studio)

Good lord they look like they nailed it

Everything I've seen about this movie looks awesome. This is one of those flicks that I will spend the money to see in IMax 3-D.

Got a chance to see Divergent yesterday. I haven't read the book, but my daughter did, and she said it followed it pretty well.

I enjoyed it. I would say that the movie was done for a wider audience than the Hunger Games movies (epecially Catching Fire). Even though I had read the Hunger Games books, I felt that the movies were made more for people who had read the books.

Plus, Shailene Woodley is extremely cute.

I just saw a free advance screening for Brick Mansions, the 'action' flick starring Paul Walker. I knew it was going to be ridiculous and it did not disappoint. Definitely one of those awesomely-bad movies. Like, it was terrible, but highly entertaining. The director and cinematographer definitely watched The Raid: Redemption on repeat before filming the first few action scenes (the first fight for both of the leads, respectively). I also feel like if you've seen The Rock more than twice, you'll hear a number of common lines.

"There is no f***ing money." "We bluffed, they called it." The whole concept of the Rocket Man. I could go on.

The movie was bad, but it was fun-bad. Rza is entertaining, and it was quite fun to see David Belle reprise his role from the French Version "District B13". Plus, Paul Walker at his Paul Walker-est.

And for those that haven't used it, check out GetScreening.com or follow them on Twitter. They give away free tickets to advance screeners meant for the press (they just fill the empty seats in the theater). I've seen a bunch of movies for free before they come on doing this, though it helps to be downtown in a major city.

"JOE" Nicholas Cage movie...is actually very good, mostly underacted for a change by Cage.

A FLASH OF GENIUS, Greg Kinnear movie about the invention of the intermittent wiper blades, Ford basically stealing the design and manufacturing themselves and the subsequent legal battle and personal struggles of Dr. Robert Kearns, really enjoyed this one. Kinnear's a lot like Kevin Costner is his "everyman" roles and Lauren Graham was good, too, as the frustrated but proud wife.

Transcendence was beautiful to watch but super slow in the middle...good chemistry with Depp and Hall, but it just fell completely flat in its ambitions.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 05:47 AM)
The Amazing Spider-Man was just really flat and non-cohesive...something was just a bit off, it's hard to put it into words on first viewing, but it's going to be considered a disappointment and pale imitation of the Tobey Maguire/Franco/Dunst version.

Agreed. The only way I'll see 2 is if the reviews are top notch. The trailers are not impressive.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 05:47 AM)
The Amazing Spider-Man was just really flat and non-cohesive...something was just a bit off, it's hard to put it into words on first viewing, but it's going to be considered a disappointment and pale imitation of the Tobey Maguire/Franco/Dunst version.

Are you talking about Spiderman 2 vs. The Amazing Spiderman 2? I thought Sam Raimi's Spiderman 2 was the best of the three by far. I particularly liked the nod to the Evil Dead with the Doc Ock scene in the hospital.

All of the reviews I have read of ASM2 have been 6s and 7s out of 10. Action awesome, a ton of plot that is stretched out because they are trying to bring in everything to push forward to Sinister 6.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)
The Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies were awful. The second one was ok, but in general they are badly dated.

I thought the first was ok, 2nd great, 3rd brutal.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
I thought the first was ok, 2nd great, 3rd brutal.

This

I hate the new Spider-Man movies. Peter Parker wasn't a misunderstood hipster with great hair, he was a nerdy geek.

Tobey > this British doofus

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
I agree with this setup, but I also note that they seem like they haven't held up as well with time as was noted previously.

I notice how corny they are a lot more now

Garfield was great in The Social Network, and I can even agree that Emma Stone matches or betters Kirsten Dunst, but there was something about the chemistry between Maguire/Dunst that is lacking.

Maybe it's because I keep thinking of him as Eduardo Saverin and Maguire as Spider-Man, not unlike the idea Bourne/Damon can't be replaced by a Jeremy Renner.

Maybe it's just that the screenwriter was trying TOO hard to inject a humorous sense into Spider-Man, that it became a bit forced. There are a number of supposedly emotional scenes that I just had NO feeling or reaction to whatsoever, and I'm the type of moviegoer who could get emotional about Marley & Me or the scene in Field of Dreams with Costner playing catch with the younger version of his father if I'd watched it 10 times already.

I definitely like the 2012 version a lot better.

Not to mention we're seeing a repeat of the Green Goblin story all over again, and I couldn't keep myself from comparing Dafoe, as much as he overacted that part, at least he had a presence. Chris Cooper, great character actor, appeared for maybe 3 minutes in the same role and there just wasn't enough time for him to establish an identity. Same with Campbell Scott as Peter's father, and Sally Field was REALLY overacting in this one.

At the heart of the Maguire movies was the relationship with Peter and Uncle Ben...and the earlier version of that relationship just nailed it, IMO. And I have nothing against Martin Sheen or Denis Leary, they're both fine actors, but this movie is just too derivative/been there done that to truly enjoy.

Plus, we've all been exposed to so much 3D/CGI that scenes of Spider-Man swinging through the streets pale in comparison to a much more organic flying experience in movies like Avatar or How to Train Your Dragon.

And then there's simply the typical villainous motivations that seemingly materialize out of nowhere...just feels too contrived and overdone, somehow.