2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 18, 2014 -> 01:06 AM)
I thought Godzilla was f***ing terrible. Unbelievably boring movie.

Glad someone else agrees with me here. What a disappointment. Horrible writing and dialogue, so-so action, just painful to watch overall.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Movie selection f***ing sucks these days. My wife and I are taking the day off work tomorrow and the kiddo gets to go to day care. Free parent day. Everyone rejoice. How to spend our free time? Let's go see a movie in the theaters for the first time since last fall. My choices are s*** (all comic book movies), s*** (Million Dollar Arm, the movie with the three chicks and Jamie Lannister, Rio 2) and a movie I do want to see (The Neighbors) but refuse to pay 20-25 bucks to see when I can watch it for a $1.50 in 6 months.

So our choice is Godzilla, which I'm mildly excited to see. But it's going to cost us $40 bucks to see a movie that comes with a 50% chance of being awful if what i'm reading is true.

Can hollywood please just come up with some original ideas for the summer? I saw a lot of the Oscar nominated movies last year and they were mostly good. But summer blockbusters are always f'n terrible. Just make some good, non-comic book, non-reboot action movies. Is that really too much to ask for?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
Movie selection f***ing sucks these days. My wife and I are taking the day off work tomorrow and the kiddo gets to go to day care. Free parent day. Everyone rejoice. How to spend our free time? Let's go see a movie in the theaters for the first time since last fall. My choices are s*** (all comic book movies), s*** (Million Dollar Arm, the movie with the three chicks and Jamie Lannister, Rio 2) and a movie I do want to see (The Neighbors) but refuse to pay 20-25 bucks to see when I can watch it for a $1.50 in 6 months.

So our choice is Godzilla, which I'm mildly excited to see. But it's going to cost us $40 bucks to see a movie that comes with a 50% chance of being awful if what i'm reading is true.

Can hollywood please just come up with some original ideas for the summer? I saw a lot of the Oscar nominated movies last year and they were mostly good. But summer blockbusters are always f'n terrible. Just make some good, non-comic book, non-reboot action movies. Is that really too much to ask for?

You seem very hard to please when it comes to tv and movies. So yes, probably too much to ask for.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
You seem very hard to please when it comes to tv and movies. So yes, probably too much to ask for.

I'm critical, sure, but if you don't like comic book movies, you haven't seen a decent action movie in years. It sucks.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
I'm critical, sure, but if you don't like comic book movies, you haven't seen a decent action movie in years. It sucks.

just not true

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)

Why is a matinee so expensive?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 22, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
just not true

List me off a couple please. No comic book based movies, and no re-boots or sequels.

World War Z was the only one that I could think of from last year. And it sucked for the most part.

Edit: ok here's a list from 2013:

http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2013

I'll admit Catching Fire was good and I enjoyed it, despite being a sequel. Gravity I also enjoyed a lot, although it wasn't really a summer blockbuster, nor was it all action, but whatever, throw it in the mix. What's next? The Hobbit, haven't seen it yet. World War Z, sucked. Captain Phillips? Eh, ok, I liked it. Elysium sucked. Lone Ranger sucked. Oblivion sucked. Olympus has Fallen looked terrible. Didn't see Pacific Rim, heard very mixed reviews. After Earth sucked, I made it 15 minutes before turning it off. What else did I miss that would be considered a good summer blockbuster?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

Yeah, Hollywood is going to stop making comic book movies. They only make billions of dollars.

I think comic book movies make great summer blockbuster movies. What should we go back to making summer blockbusters like Armageddon and Wild Wild West.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
List me off a couple please. No comic book based movies, and no re-boots or sequels.

World War Z was the only one that I could think of from last year. And it sucked for the most part.

Edit: ok here's a list from 2013:

http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2013

I'll admit Catching Fire was good and I enjoyed it, despite being a sequel. Gravity I also enjoyed a lot, although it wasn't really a summer blockbuster, nor was it all action, but whatever, throw it in the mix. What's next? The Hobbit, haven't seen it yet. World War Z, sucked. Captain Phillips? Eh, ok, I liked it. Elysium sucked. Lone Ranger sucked. Oblivion sucked. Olympus has Fallen looked terrible. Didn't see Pacific Rim, heard very mixed reviews. After Earth sucked, I made it 15 minutes before turning it off. What else did I miss that would be considered a good summer blockbuster?

You see, there is a difference between action movies you don't like and don't want to see , and no action movies. And you complained about none being original and a few you just listed were original.

Will see X-Men tonight here in China. Reviews have been great.

Godzilla was borderline terrible to me. Some pretty polarizing reactions to that film around here.

I like the description of the MUTO's as overgrown staplers with spindly legs. Their heads reminded me of the Atlanta Falcons' mascot. I won't go so far as to say the 1998 version with Broderick/Jean Reno and a now-forgotten actress as tv reporter/ingenue was better, but that wasn't close to as good as Pacific Rim.

Were you referring to "The Other Woman," about the movie with three girls/chicks, including Kate Upton?

X-Men will be fine, from everything you read.

Godzilla was terrible. The MUTO's looked like overgrown staplers with spindly legs that were bootlegged from a discarded Atlanta Falcons' NFL helmet design from a decade ago. The lead actor made Freddie Prinze, Jr., Orlando Bloom and Ryan Philippe look like Masterpiece Theatre thespians extraordinaire.

I think I would actually rather watch the 1998 movie again rather than see that particular film a second time.

As far as movies to be excited about in the future, try Nolan's INTERSTELLAR.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:17 PM)
As far as movies to be excited about in the future, try Nolan's INTERSTELLAR.

Intriguing trailer. Gives very little away. I like it.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 22, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)
Intriguing trailer. Gives very little away. I like it.

When the screenplay is derived from a book written by a Cal Tech professor (Kip Thorne), you know it's going to be pretty deep stuff to digest.