2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
If the subject matter doesnt interest you, not much else you can say. The movies arent overly complicated, but they are much more complicated than "good guy vs bad guy". starting with Loki and Bucky Barnes and it seems moving up through the Civil War storyline, it looks like Marvel is bringing a lot more complex bad guys that have more layers than merely "bad guy".

Im sure Y2HH isnt the only person that isnt a fan of the MCU movies, though

It isn't my thing either, but then again, I'm not watching a bunch of them and complaining about them, so YMMV.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
It isn't my thing either, but then again, I'm not watching a bunch of them and complaining about them, so YMMV.

Hold the phone here, it's not like I'm complaining without reason.

I loved some of these superhero movies, I'm simply expressing my opinion that at this point, it's overdone. Every year it's more superhero movies, and it'll be like this until the crush the entire genre into a fine powder and then we'll get none (or no quality ones) for the next decade.

It's the same reason why we have 4 Transformer movies, 3 of which are horrible beyond horrible, yet they keep breaking bank, so they keep making more.

I wish they'd just stop for a while.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
Hold the phone here, it's not like I'm complaining without reason.

I loved some of these superhero movies, I'm simply expressing my opinion that at this point, it's overdone. Every year it's more superhero movies, and it'll be like this until the crush the entire genre into a fine powder and then we'll get none (or no quality ones) for the next decade.It's the same reason why we have 4 Transformer movies, 3 of which are horrible beyond horrible, yet they keep breaking bank, so they keep making more.

I wish they'd just stop for a while.

honestly, this is a long long long way from happening. The comic universes have been rebooted and reimagined many times. Marvel could totally reboot a lot of their properties from scratch if they felt like it. We already have seen it with Batman three times, and we are about to see it a fourth time

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
The problem then is that transformers 4 made over a billion dollars due to global sales. It was pretty good in US but not amazing.

These movies globally just crush moneywise.

Bay might be a lot of things, but he does know who to market to and how to market to them.

He just cannot seem to find anyone that can write a script to save their lives. But, he doesnt care, he is swimming in piles of money like Scrooge McDuck

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 09:17 PM)
Bay might be a lot of things, but he does know who to market to and how to market to them.

He just cannot seem to find anyone that can write a script to save their lives. But, he doesnt care, he is swimming in piles of money like Scrooge McDuck

I notice that when the movies are partly made in a different country, esp the Asian market, the movie

receipts go thru the roof.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
DC news. Hard to get excited for it when they blow so far.

http://m.hitfix.com/news/batman-v-superman...20for%20release

There's so much potential in this universe, but when your anchor is an already brutal Superman franchise and Ben Affleck as f***ing Batman, the opportunity to build upon it is already pretty shot.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 04:37 PM)
Better late than never for DC. At least they could finally admit to themselves Marvel has it right and map out a plan

After Guardians, I'm sure DC realized it was time to back off of the Cap 3 release date.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 04:56 PM)
There's so much potential in this universe, but when your anchor is an already brutal Superman franchise and Ben Affleck as f***ing Batman, the opportunity to build upon it is already pretty shot.

An old batman was a weird decision. They are pretty much having to reboot the character for the universe they are just now establishing. Batman is supposed to be old and tired, he will have to pass the torch (you would think) to a younger person.

Unless they plan on going with a Batman Beyond type situation

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 04:56 PM)

Plus you are banking on a Snyder directed film which is just gross.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 07:39 PM)
The Theory of Everything looks like it will be good, in a Beautiful Mind sort of way

I know it's not really about Stephen Hawkings life but a movie like that needs to be made.

Not sure what to make out of Interstellar (just saw the preview/trailer).

Hard not to think of Jodie Foster and Matthew McConaughey's earlier hit, Contact. Doesn't seem like he's been around nearly 20 years, as only recently has he been taken seriously as a dramatic actor.

Sure it will be thought-provoking, though, with Nolan directing.

Finally, hope someone finally gives Zoe Saldana an opportunity to headline a non-sci fi/action movie. The last one I remember her in was Colombiana...but that was still more action than drama imo.

Edited by caulfield12

I liked Lucy, although the Bradley Cooper version (less scientific) was preferable and a better script.

On the other hand, any movie that forces you to think and has Morgan Freeman in it...can't be all that bad. However, I can certainly understand why the rottentomatoes rating is hovering right around 60%, which is considered the bottom cutoff for good and turning into mediocre.

It's definitely worth seeing, though.

Guess they had to make the Koreans the bad guys in this one (and their motivations/reasons for villainy are one of the script weaknesses)...instead of the Chinese/Taiwanese. That's not a plot spoiler, as Jang is clearly supposed to be a Korean drug/crime boss and most importantly speaks Korean, haha.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
I liked Lucy, although the Bradley Cooper version (less scientific) was preferable and a better script.

On the other hand, any movie that forces you to think and has Morgan Freeman in it...can't be all that bad. However, I can certainly understand why the rottentomatoes rating is hovering right around 60%, which is considered the bottom cutoff for good and turning into mediocre.

It's definitely worth seeing, though.

Guess they had to make the Koreans the bad guys in this one (and their motivations/reasons for villainy are one of the script weaknesses)...instead of the Chinese/Taiwanese. That's not a plot spoiler, as Jang is clearly supposed to be a Korean drug/crime boss and most importantly speaks Korean, haha.

I guess that is one way to think about it. I am more incline to say it is to get the world wide interest in the

movie and thus make a bigger profit at the gate.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
I guess that is one way to think about it. I am more incline to say it is to get the world wide interest in the

movie and thus make a bigger profit at the gate.

We've already seen this happen with the Red Dawn remake, where the Chinese were exchanged for North Koreans inexplicably launching an invasion of mainland USA (Washington state, I think).

As some films already are even more profitable in China than the U.S. (Pacific Rim, Titanic 3D, Cloud Atlas, Transformers 4), nothing is surprising when it comes to pandering to the Chinese, even the product placement of a famous Chinese milk and tea.