2014 Video game thread

Kyyle23

This thread is a thing?! :D

Didn't notice anybody mentioning No Man's Sky. The hype has cooled off considerably since E3 - once people started wondering if anything in the game will actually be fun - but I'm still irrationally excited for it. I love open-world games; Minecraft was my jam for like a year and a half.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
Except for those times your own blockers get in your way. I had a screen play yesterday result in a fumble because Tony Fiametta thought it'd be a good idea to run into Jay Cutler while he was throwing the screen. It's like the AI thinks they can use your own players to play defense. Not to mention the numerous times where the FB would block a hole I was going to run through up the middle, resulting in at least 4-5 less yards.

Other than that, good game so far.

Fullback? Do you have it set on 1990's mode? Get with the times man.

QUOTE (TRU @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
Fullback? Do you have it set on 1990's mode? Get with the times man.

I run out of the I-form a lot. Good play action, plus you get a blocker up the middle on runs. It's great for grinding out the clock in MUT.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
I run out of the I-form a lot. Good play action, plus you get a blocker up the middle on runs. It's great for grinding out the clock in MUT.

I got Alfred Morris in MUT, so when its time to grind out the clock I just set it to chew clock mode and run dive after dive after dive.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
Didn't notice anybody mentioning No Man's Sky. The hype has cooled off considerably since E3 - once people started wondering if anything in the game will actually be fun - but I'm still irrationally excited for it. I love open-world games; Minecraft was my jam for like a year and a half.

I'm excited for it, but it's probably pretty far away still so I'm not getting too worked up about it. It looks phenomenal. The art style and the presentation look so good.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 7, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
I'm excited for it, but it's probably pretty far away still so I'm not getting too worked up about it. It looks phenomenal. The art style and the presentation look so good.

Yeah, it's gorgeous.

I'm worried about Destiny. I've enjoyed every Halo I've played so there's reason for optimism, but that beta didn't grab me at all. Like Borderlands, but somehow missing the things I loved about those games. I might sit this one out.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
Yeah, it's gorgeous.

I'm worried about Destiny. I've enjoyed every Halo I've played so there's reason for optimism, but that beta didn't grab me at all. Like Borderlands, but somehow missing the things I loved about those games. I might sit this one out.

You'll be missing out then. They barely released anything in the Alpha/Beta, I'm stoked for this game.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
You'll be missing out then. They barely released anything in the Alpha/Beta, I'm stoked for this game.

Hope you're right. I haven't made up my mind yet. Don't even know if I can look to reviews because they're usually not meaningful for big releases like this, so I need word-of-mouth.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 01:10 AM)
NHL 15 review from IGN wasn't that great. Gave it a 7. Said they stripped a lot of features out of the game this year, and basically masked it with a beautiful shell. I think I'll be skipping out on NHL for the first time in like 5 years.

For me, it's a no-brainer purchase. What's missing is stuff like the EASHL which is something I never do anyway. Apparently it's a great game of hockey, the franchise mode works (which is all I ever do - the quest for Toews/Kane dual 100 point campaigns is always fun), and online play against my friends works.

I picked it up yesterday, though it didn't get to spin at all because Destiny is so amazing. No worries, NHL always has a super long shelf life for me.

You're a big fan of the EASHL, right Joe? If that's the case, apparently EA will be adding it back in as a patch, so you can probably just pick it up when it drops to $50 or when you can nab it for $40 on eBay.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
For me, it's a no-brainer purchase. What's missing is stuff like the EASHL which is something I never do anyway. Apparently it's a great game of hockey, the franchise mode works (which is all I ever do - the quest for Toews/Kane dual 100 point campaigns is always fun), and online play against my friends works.

I picked it up yesterday, though it didn't get to spin at all because Destiny is so amazing. No worries, NHL always has a super long shelf life for me.

You're a big fan of the EASHL, right Joe? If that's the case, apparently EA will be adding it back in as a patch, so you can probably just pick it up when it drops to $50 or when you can nab it for $40 on eBay.

The thing that worried me the most was that they said Be a Pro got stripped down, even removing the shortcut to skip to the next shift. That's a feature breaker for me. I have no interest in sitting on the bench for a minute at a time watching the CPU play, I just want to hit a button and have my next shift start.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
That would be brutal.

Yes, it would be. After playing The Show with simulated counts turned on, I can't even imagine playing a brutally long hour long baseball game anymore. I want fast paced and quick games. You can only turn the period lengths down so much before sacrificing realistic statistics.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
Yes, it would be. After playing The Show with simulated counts turned on, I can't even imagine playing a brutally long hour long baseball game anymore. I want fast paced and quick games. You can only turn the period lengths down so much before sacrificing realistic statistics.

Yeah, I just play games with the Blackhawks. It takes like 20 minutes to get a game in and the stats come out realistic.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)

I dont think theyre adding EASHL with a patch. They plan on adding OTP which would be 5 vs 5 using real NHL teams and players with computer goalies and you wont be able to easily jump in games with your friends because it will do random matching. EASHL is basically the only game mode Ive played since NHL 10 so Ill be skipping NHL 15. What EA did on the 360 and ps3 is even worse. They released NHL 14 again and just put 15 on it. They didnt even change the menus. When I first saw gameplay I thought it was a joke. For people who just play vs or hut the next gen versions should be fine, the gameplay seems much improved. I just cant believe they couldnt get EASHL into the game, they were the only sports game to not release a next gen version in 14 because they said they didnt want to rush it and then they still cant finish the game. #FIRERAMMER on twitter will get you some entertaining reactions from fans about NHL 15.