2014 Video game thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
How is it? I bought a PS4 a couple weeks ago and was planning on picking it up for it once it came out

Visuals are better than last year's game - I love the new lighting.

Gameplay-wise, a lot of it is the same, but the animations are better this year and for the most part, keepers are better.

A lot of people are complaining that defending is too hard and that only pace matters in this year's game...I haven't found that to be completely true since I still have trouble blowing by slow CBs with players who have pace in the mid 80s on professional.

It builds on top of last year's game and I thought last year's game was a lot of fun, so I think it's worth the $60.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
crazy that they went gamecube retro with it. Its cool that they respect the following that Melee got, though

To this day Melee might be my favorite game of all time. I don't own a Wii U but if Smash can't get me to buy one, nothing can.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
To this day Melee might be my favorite game of all time. I don't own a Wii U but if Smash can't get me to buy one, nothing can.

well this game is supposed to be awesome, and they have a gamecube extension port and started selling new cube controllers again.

SSB is one game i never really got into, but i will watch my buddies throw down

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
well this game is supposed to be awesome, and they have a gamecube extension port and started selling new cube controllers again.

SSB is one game i never really got into, but i will watch my buddies throw down

Why wouldn't you? Smash is in the Trash Talk Hall of Fame.

They've been very smart in marketing this game. The little tourney at E3, the simultaneous 3DS release, the character videos. The fanbase is in a lather.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
Why wouldn't you? Smash is in the Trash Talk Hall of Fame.

They've been very smart in marketing this game. The little tourney at E3, the simultaneous 3DS release, the character videos. The fanbase is in a lather.

i am just not much of a fighting game guy, not really my thing. translated: I really suck at them and I dont like to lose

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
I'm going to have to, but stlll too obsessed with NHL to dive into that right now.

I heard the server issues are unbearable, the game is more or less unplayable right now because of it. I think I'll wait. I'm still playing a ton of FIFA. I haven't even started playing Destiny yet.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 12:04 AM)
I heard the server issues are unbearable, the game is more or less unplayable right now because of it. I think I'll wait. I'm still playing a ton of FIFA. I haven't even started playing Destiny yet.

I picked it up yesterday and didn't have any issues.

I finally beat Watchdogs. Really solid gameplay and beautiful environment, just a bad storyline. If they make a sequel with new characters, it could be a favorite game.

Somehow I was still able to trade it in for $23 at Best Buy. Gamestop and Amazon were only offering like $10-$11 for it. Probably going to get Madden 15 soon. Amazon has it for $45.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 06:31 PM)
I finally beat Watchdogs. Really solid gameplay and beautiful environment, just a bad storyline. If they make a sequel with new characters, it could be a favorite game.

They did, in the form of a DLC called 'Bad Blood' which you, since selling your game, can't play. In Bad Blood you play as Raymond Kenny (I refuse to call him T-Bone, because its the dumbest name ever). Kenny's character is so incredibly more interesting than Aiden Pierce. His melee weapon is a stun gun and has a remote control car with its own skill tree.

Its mind boggling, in retrospect, that Ubisoft could have released a new IP with such a dud of a main playable character. Even Clara would have been a better focal point.

But anyway, Raymond Kenny is a badass and his safehouse is badass. You should borrow a copy from a friend and play through the DLC (should take 20 hours or so). Also in the DLC is a new set of gang attacks that are co-op online. Haven't tried that yet (and likely won't) because Ubisoft's Watch_Dogs multiplayer servers are so laggy its pointless to even try to play.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 02:23 AM)
They did, in the form of a DLC called 'Bad Blood' which you, since selling your game, can't play. In Bad Blood you play as Raymond Kenny (I refuse to call him T-Bone, because its the dumbest name ever). Kenny's character is so incredibly more interesting than Aiden Pierce. His melee weapon is a stun gun and has a remote control car with its own skill tree.

Its mind boggling, in retrospect, that Ubisoft could have released a new IP with such a dud of a main playable character. Even Clara would have been a better focal point.

But anyway, Raymond Kenny is a badass and his safehouse is badass. You should borrow a copy from a friend and play through the DLC (should take 20 hours or so). Also in the DLC is a new set of gang attacks that are co-op online. Haven't tried that yet (and likely won't) because Ubisoft's Watch_Dogs multiplayer servers are so laggy its pointless to even try to play.

The DLC is 20 hours long? I typically never buy DLC based on principle, unless it's on sale for like $2. But 20 hours sounds much more substantial than "Here are 5 new cloaks and 2 new missions and a shiny weapon skin!"

If the DLC is that big, it may be a stand alone download, like Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, which so far is the greatest DLC ever created IMO, and I won't need the disc.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
The DLC is 20 hours long? I typically never buy DLC based on principle, unless it's on sale for like $2. But 20 hours sounds much more substantial than "Here are 5 new cloaks and 2 new missions and a shiny weapon skin!"

If the DLC is that big, it may be a stand alone download, like Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, which so far is the greatest DLC ever created IMO, and I won't need the disc.

Having never played Blood Dragon, I will just say that Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep was absolutely phenomenal and it's by far my #1 DLC. Bethesda has had some really good DLC too between the Elder Scrolls and Fallout too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
Having never played Blood Dragon, I will just say that Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep was absolutely phenomenal and it's by far my #1 DLC. Bethesda has had some really good DLC too between the Elder Scrolls and Fallout too.

I know we talked about that DLC in the past year, so freakin' good.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)

Thought Dragon Keep was a little overrated because a lot of the new stuff was pointless (magic spell grenades?), but it was long and funny,

and the reveal of Butt Stallion and her loot mechanic at the end was fantastic,

so I had a good time with it. I think the Mister Torgue campaign was my favorite BL2 DLC.

Forget the name of it, Steel Something or Other, but the Fallout 3 DLC that raised the level cap to 30 and added all the new perks remains my absolute favorite. Never played the GTAIV stuff but it's supposed to be great too.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
Thought Dragon Keep was a little overrated because a lot of the new stuff was pointless (magic spell grenades?), but it was long and funny,

and the reveal of Butt Stallion and her loot mechanic at the end was fantastic,

so I had a good time with it. I think the Mister Torgue campaign was my favorite BL2 DLC.

Forget the name of it, Steel Something or Other, but the Fallout 3 DLC that raised the level cap to 30 and added all the new perks remains my absolute favorite. Never played the GTAIV stuff but it's supposed to be great too.

Broken Steel. I haven't played either Fallout in a long time but those were good games with, for the most part, really good DLC. I thought Mothership Zeta kind of sucked though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
Broken Steel. I haven't played either Fallout in a long time but those were good games with, for the most part, really good DLC. I thought Mothership Zeta kind of sucked though.

Broken Steel, thank you. I only played Fallout 3 and that was actually the only DLC I bought for it - the others all seemed kind of lackluster. But that game definitely sucked me in.