2014 Video game thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting closer to buying a wii u over a ps4 with all of these mario kart reviews. But I know in the end it's going to be a waste of money. For my gaming habits, which are limited these days, it's basically 2 mario games, mario kart, and maybe, maybe the zelda game if it's amazing (which the reviews will all say it is, despite the last couple being lame and boring). I'm torn.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
I'm getting closer to buying a wii u over a ps4 with all of these mario kart reviews. But I know in the end it's going to be a waste of money. For my gaming habits, which are limited these days, it's basically 2 mario games, mario kart, and maybe, maybe the zelda game if it's amazing (which the reviews will all say it is, despite the last couple being lame and boring). I'm torn.

Yeah, that's why I don't buy Nintendo consoles or handhelds anymore. You basically get the console for one game (Pokemon for handhelds, Mario-related games for the consoles) and then there's almost nothing else that's good for it.

I really wanted to buy a 3DS for Pokemon X and Y, but then I remembered that I don't think I'll ever play anything else on it. I had a Vita and I barely played it. So it definitely didn't make sense to spend $180 on what's basically a Pokemon machine...

Edited by chw42

Probably an understatement.

Obviously I enjoy MK8 and most Mario offerings, but I am hoping this E3 brings some big announcements. A few rumors have Retro announcing a new Metroid, some more new Zelda gameplay, and some possibilities like Starfox and whatever solo Mario project is in the works. They are gonna livestream a Smash Bros competition with the top 20 players in the world during E3, I am gonna drop in and watch a little bit. Im not much of a fighter game guy, but it is fun to watch those who know what they are doing. I think there will be some news on Yoshis Yarn and Monoliths "X" project as well.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 11:29 PM)
Soul Suspect has a metacritic of 59...

OK so its really slow moving. Takes forever to get through an objective when you, as the player, know exactly whats coming.

At any rate, its not a $60 value for a AAA title. I'd rather have had the opportunity to buy it used for say $35... can't expect to do that on release day.

At any rate, its a nice change of pace from the FPS games and Watch_Dogs and my wife actually wanted to play missions with me. *shrug*

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:20 PM)
I don't understand the appeal to Nintendo. They just make baby games designed for kids. Their audience just keeps buying nostalgia.

complaining_francis.jpg

Seriously though, it's pretty easy to see why people like Nintendo. They are universally considered the best developer on the planet and you know when you buy their games they will be quality given their track record and extremely polished, which is sadly a big deal these days.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:32 PM)
complaining_francis.jpg

Seriously though, it's pretty easy to see why people like Nintendo. They are universally considered the best developer on the planet and you know when you buy their games they will be quality given their track record and extremely polished, which is sadly a big deal these days.

None of what you said disputes the fact that their target demo is little kids.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 12:17 AM)

Their games are just fun, they are meant for everyone. Their target demo is family play

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 12:40 AM)
With the new draft picks I am going to start my franchise over again in MLB The Show.. If anyone finds a good Rodon in the vault let me know!

Yeah, I haven't started my offline franchise yet, so hopefully I can find a version with at least a couple rounds of draft picks included.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 12:17 AM)

That's funny you say that since their home consoles demos skew higher than the competition and that's maybe a problem for them. Although makes sense when system sellers like Call of Duty/GTA and it's 100 clones are targeted towards kids and otherwise completely brainless, no matter how much I enjoy them and aren't going to move consoles on Nintendo platforms.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:20 PM)
I don't understand the appeal to Nintendo. They just make baby games designed for kids. Their audience just keeps buying nostalgia.

Have you played games like Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, etc.? Even for adults those games are a lot of fun.

With a 2 year old and limited free time, my gaming habits have really changed. I used to love long single player campaigns. I vegged out on WoW for a while. But I can't do that anymore. Even without my son I don't think i'd have the patience to sit down in front of the TV/computer for 5 hours at a time like I used to. So I need shorter bursts of gaming. That's somewhat why the Wii U appeals to me. The mario games are nothing great (Mario Kart, Galaxy 1 and 2, etc. excluded, because they were), but they're games that aren't so serious and you don't need to devote so much time to it. You can play in 20-30 minute spurts.

I still love the occasional long single player games - Last of Us, Uncharted, maybe Watchdogs. But they're a rarity these days for me.

Left Behind, the DLC for Last of Us, was awesome btw. The last sequence had my heart pumping.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
Have you played games like Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, etc.? Even for adults those games are a lot of fun.

With a 2 year old and limited free time, my gaming habits have really changed. I used to love long single player campaigns. I vegged out on WoW for a while. But I can't do that anymore. Even without my son I don't think i'd have the patience to sit down in front of the TV/computer for 5 hours at a time like I used to. So I need shorter bursts of gaming. That's somewhat why the Wii U appeals to me. The mario games are nothing great (Mario Kart, Galaxy 1 and 2, etc. excluded, because they were), but they're games that aren't so serious and you don't need to devote so much time to it. You can play in 20-30 minute spurts.

I still love the occasional long single player games - Last of Us, Uncharted, maybe Watchdogs. But they're a rarity these days for me.

Left Behind, the DLC for Last of Us, was awesome btw. The last sequence had my heart pumping.

Aside from Zelda, this is a big thing missing from Nintendo for me. I am hoping that changes soon. Watchdogs was delayed, and I am not too confident it comes to WiiU, i think it is gonna be cancelled like Aliens Colonial Marines was(although that was for the better)

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)

Mario Kart is fun, but that's not a system seller for me and the only time I play is it when someone else has it. I wouldn't buy that on my own.

I'm getting old for the 40+ hour games myself. Watch Dogs has that much content if you do all the side stuff, which I insist on doing. I simply can't do that many of those games a year. It's just that Mario whatever or Zelda doesn't really interest me regardless of game length.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 12:06 AM)
Mario Kart is fun, but that's not a system seller for me and the only time I play is it when someone else has it. I wouldn't buy that on my own.

I'm getting old for the 40+ hour games myself. Watch Dogs has that much content if you do all the side stuff, which I insist on doing. I simply can't do that many of those games a year. It's just that Mario whatever or Zelda doesn't really interest me regardless of game length.

That's fine that they don't interest you, but to say they are "baby games" and that they only target kids is absurd. I just beat Portal 2 on Friday, an all around awesome game. Before that I put 50+ hours into GTA V, which is one of my favorite games of all time. I love mature games when they are well done, like the Uncharted series, but sometimes I want to play something that's about pure gameplay. The new Mario Kart is amazing in short bursts and looks more next gen than anything I've seen on Xbox One or PS4 so far. Super Mario 3D World, while nowhere near as good as the Galaxy games, is still a tons of fun and the fact I can play it with my wife is a bonus. Hell, I just started Wind Waker HD yesterday and it's crazy now good that game really is, unfortunately it doesn't have the "cool" factor a lot people in our demographic base their purchasing decisions on. The point I'm trying to make is that Nintendo games don't have be mutually exclusive with more mature games. They both offer different experiences that are enjoyable on their own merits. I personally think that if most people got over the "kiddy" image concern, most hardcore gamers would find plenty of Nintendo titles they'd love.