2014 Video game thread

Kyyle23

Man the video game industry has gotten really disgusting with the launches of completely broken like Assassin's Creed, Drive Club, and Halo in the past month. Two of those are even first party games.

Nintendo should bring back their seal of quality. I don't think you'd ever find anything close to those examples on their consoles

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
Man the video game industry has gotten really disgusting with the launches of completely broken like Assassin's Creed, Drive Club, and Halo in the past month. Two of those are even first party games.

Nintendo should bring back their seal of quality. I don't think you'd ever find anything close to those examples on their consoles

I haven't experienced any issues with CoD: Advanced Warfare. Yet.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)
I haven't experienced any issues with CoD: Advanced Warfare. Yet.

No, that seems to be going fine and I think everything with Destiny was smooth as well. It's really hard to launch a big game today; you have concerns like servers that just weren't a thing before. That doesn't excuse Halo and such by any means.

But there were still some massive bugs in old games that got through QA, including Nintendo-developed games. Search "Link to the Past exploration glitch" or "Super Mario 64 backwards long jump tutorial" for an idea of what I mean.

Nintendo always drags with their games but produce the best quality on the market, but today's demographic looks for quantity instead of quality.

That's why unfinished games like AC Unity, Battlefield, etc. are released every year.

gotten? bug-filled major releases have been a staple forever, at least in the PC world.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
The whole DLC cost $12 bucks

First part of the Bioshock DLC was like $10

It took Nintendo forever to get into the DLC game, but i like it so far. I hope they plan on it with their upcoming first party releases(Starfox, im looking at you)

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
No, that seems to be going fine and I think everything with Destiny was smooth as well. It's really hard to launch a big game today; you have concerns like servers that just weren't a thing before. That doesn't excuse Halo and such by any means.

But there were still some massive bugs in old games that got through QA, including Nintendo-developed games. Search "Link to the Past exploration glitch" or "Super Mario 64 backwards long jump tutorial" for an idea of what I mean.

I don't think those are really comparable. Those seem more like glitches that you actively had to seek out. There are parts in newer games where you literally can't play a major portion of the game. I think a better comparison would be the schlock released on the NES which I believe directly lead to the "seal of quality" and pressure on 1st parties to actually handle quality control.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
gotten? bug-filled major releases have been a staple forever, at least in the PC world.

This is true but that's because there's no over seeing body of the pc games market. Microsoft and Sony are supposed to provide for some quality control to allow publishing on their system but they have obviously have completely abandoned that even in their own freaking 1st party games. It's sad.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
This is true but that's because there's no over seeing body of the pc games market. Microsoft and Sony are supposed to provide for some quality control to allow publishing on their system but they have obviously have completely abandoned that even in their own freaking 1st party games. It's sad.

At some point, you do need to the get the game out there because you can end up wasting a lot of time working on bugs that are virtually non-existent. Get the product out there, find the bugs, fix them, and patch it. That's the beautiful thing about live updates in games now a days. The problem is that, as you've said, they just throw a seemingly unfinished product out there and then wait for the bugs to appear. That's not how it should be.

Also, I didn't get on Destiny right away, but that hasn't had too many bugs that I've noticed.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
I don't think those are really comparable. Those seem more like glitches that you actively had to seek out. There are parts in newer games where you literally can't play a major portion of the game. I think a better comparison would be the schlock released on the NES which I believe directly lead to the "seal of quality" and pressure on 1st parties to actually handle quality control.

That is true and a good point, I was just pointing out that games are rarely squeaky clean. I agree with everything else you said as well.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 05:08 AM)
The excitebike track is the funnest and nostalgic.

The F-Zero kart is beast.

I forgot how much i loved Warios Gold Mine. Not really a fan of the Epona bike, the handling kind of sucks. But i really like all of Links actions, the sword posing and the triforce popping up above his head after certain moves is really cool.

Apparently Link was a big hit online yesterday.....

links.jpg

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 07:33 AM)
I forgot how much i loved Warios Gold Mine. Not really a fan of the Epona bike, the handling kind of sucks. But i really like all of Links actions, the sword posing and the triforce popping up above his head after certain moves is really cool.

Apparently Link was a big hit online yesterday.....

links.jpg

LOL I saw that, I raced 1 race online last night to verify and there were 4 Links

It's funny how the narrative can spiral away from reality with some of these games. AC Unity has run fine for me. I did have two occasions where the frame rate really dropped. One was when I went the wrong route on a timed puzzle early in the game. Once I realized I was going the wrong way it ran fine. The other I think was related to the companion app or my internet connection because it was really choppy after I had been playing for a few hours and it was right after I started messing around with the app. Once I experienced problems I just turned it off for the night and haven't had any problems since.

The game is really fun and I would hardly describe the game as broken or unfinished (although the patches may be a reason why it's run perfectly the last few days). It wasn't some unplayable mess or anything. I did hear the co-op was worse so maybe that's what is bothering people (haven't gone online with it yet), but if you like single player AC you'll like this game. A lot of improvements. The downward free-running is awesome although the upward climbing is tricky to get it do exactly what you want.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:35 PM)
Going to pick up Far Cry 4 right now. Hope to get a couple hours in tonight.

I'm debating between this and the new Dragon Age game. Though the Dragon Age game takes like 80 hours to beat, and with my gaming availability, it'll take me 6 months to play that much.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 11:16 PM)
Just bought a new vidcard recently and get to pick a free game. So Assassin's Creed Unity or FC4? is there a clear better choice or can't go wrong with either?

They are different genres, but Far Cry is getting far better reviews. The online stuff for both isn't working right (Ubisoft is saying all their recent releases are overloading their servers). But it really should be first person shooter vs. third person action/adventure.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 11:16 PM)
Just bought a new vidcard recently and get to pick a free game. So Assassin's Creed Unity or FC4? is there a clear better choice or can't go wrong with either?

I'd go Far Cry 4 not only because I love the FC series far more than the AC series, but also they crap out a new AC game every year. You get probably buy Unity by the spring for like $20 when they have announced the new game for that year. Far Cry takes a couple years for each game, so they hold their value longer.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 12:01 AM)
They are different genres, but Far Cry is getting far better reviews. The online stuff for both isn't working right (Ubisoft is saying all their recent releases are overloading their servers). But it really should be first person shooter vs. third person action/adventure.

I went with Dragon Age. By the time I finish it, FC4 will be $30 bucks.