Dempster will sit out 2014

rowand's rowdies

The class act Canadian Ryan Dempster will sit this year (not retiring yet) and forfeit his $13.25 million salary. Can we dump something on them? Alexi? Sounds like they may have to sign Drew but they aren't excited...

What else do they need?

Any fits?

Any BoSox prospects of theirs that might be interesting?

Edit: I am not saying we should try and trade for Dempster, AT ALL. I'm saying they just opened up $13 million so they may be looking to address a need and take on salary.

Edited by rowand's rowdies

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
They have five starters without Dempster, so this doesn't change anything. Nothing to see here for White Sox fans.

Classy move by Dempster to walk away from $13 million.

Except that one of them, Buchholz, is literally made out of porcelain. This is strange, imo.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
They have five starters without Dempster, so this doesn't change anything. Nothing to see here for White Sox fans.

Classy move by Dempster to walk away from $13 million.

One of the better guys in baseball. He was at Kane county when I worked there. This kind of things doesn't surprise me from him.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
Except that one of them, Buchholz, is literally made out of porcelain.

They've also moved away from big deals. One has to wonder what's the plan for when Lester leaves. They're going to be in the market for a sixth starter anyway. They'd probably pay a heavy price for a young, controllable guy like Quintana.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
Would you pass up on that salary? I know I wouldn't.

No I wouldn't which is also why I said I wish haha but if your heart isn't it like Meche (retired with with a year and more than 10 mill left on contract) and Dempster than its possible. We have seen Dunn say that he will stop playing when hes not having fun so anything is possible (though I know he won't)

QUOTE (vegandork @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
They've also moved away from big deals. One has to wonder what's the plan for when Lester leaves. They're going to be in the market for a sixth starter anyway. They'd probably pay a heavy price for a young, controllable guy like Quintana.

Interesting idea, I'd like to see what they'd be willing to give for Quintana.

QUOTE (vegandork @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)

Lester is supposedly close to resigning w Boston. His agent is the same one Pedroia has and they are rumored to be doing the same approach of signing before summer.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 05:39 PM)
Alexi and Quintana for Bogarts and something else? Not sure I would do that but would be an interesting move...

You wouldn't do that from the White Sox perspective? Are you kidding? Bogaerts is going to be a MONSTER. He's a consensus top 1-2 prospect in baseball. That's not nearly enough for him. The only reason I wouldn't make that deal is because the only way it would be on the table is if Bogaerts either severely injured himself or was about to go to jail for 20 years.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
You wouldn't do that from the White Sox perspective? Are you kidding? Bogaerts is going to be a MONSTER. He's a consensus top 1-2 prospect in baseball. That's not nearly enough for him. The only reason I wouldn't make that deal is because the only way it would be on the table is if Bogaerts either severaly injured himself or was about to go to jail for 20 years.

It reminds me of the deadline when some on Soxtalk thought the Rangers would trade us Profar. Uh no.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
You wouldn't do that from the White Sox perspective? Are you kidding? Bogaerts is going to be a MONSTER. He's a consensus top 1-2 prospect in baseball. That's not nearly enough for him. The only reason I wouldn't make that deal is because the only way it would be on the table is if Bogaerts either severaly injured himself or was about to go to jail for 20 years.

Same thing was said about Dominic Brown and Jason Heyward

QUOTE (vegandork @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)

They've got Henry Owens ready to step in sometime this summer and Workman and Allen Webster probably ready to go now if they have an injury. They were said to be looking to deal two SP's at the winter meetings so that they could get one of Webster or Workman into the rotation.

Their rotation will be fine if Lester chases a big contract, and they would have no interest in giving anything of value up for Q until they know what they have in their own prospects.