With the logjam, Dunn to get time in the outfield

brian310

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 08:57 AM)
Dunn has played the OF for the White Sox in 2011 and 2012.

I think he played a couple games in LF last year, too. He wasn't brutal if I remember correctly. But, it seems silly to state that he's going to get time in the outfield because there's a logjam at 1st when there's a logjam in the outfield, too. Unless Viciedo or De Aza is traded, those guys should be patrolling that corner over Dunn. Dunn should be DHing and playing the very occasional 1st base...primarily against righties.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
I think he played a couple games in LF last year, too. He wasn't brutal if I remember correctly. But, it seems silly to state that he's going to get time in the outfield because there's a logjam at 1st when there's a logjam in the outfield, too. Unless Viciedo or De Aza is traded, those guys should be patrolling that corner over Dunn. Dunn should be DHing and playing the very occasional 1st base...primarily against righties.

But it doesn't add to the logjam. It just creates another possibility. It isn't like Dunn is going to be out there an extended time. If he's going well, it's another place to put him.

I also think the roster will be different by opening day.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
But it doesn't add to the logjam. It just creates another possibility. It isn't like Dunn is going to be out there an extended time. If he's going well, it's another place to put him.

Good point. Who knows, maybe Dunn will have a good year. It will be sort of a contract year for him. Not that he has any chance to get a big (or even halfway decent) offer next offseason, but if he's planning on playing beyond 2014, he'll need some team to give him a chance.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
I have to believe this is all about trying to give him some extra value to a NL team.

Both good points. Really nothing to complain about in doing this.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)

Yeah...I have no problem with this. At least they'll be prepared if some unforeseen injuries come up.

I loved Dunn's comment in the paper this morning...should be our '14 motto:

"We’re not building rockets for NASA. It’s baseball.” :D

QUOTE (Wanne @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
Yeah...I have no problem with this. At least they'll be prepared if some unforeseen injuries come up.

I loved Dunn's comment in the paper this morning...should be our '14 motto:

"We’re not building rockets for NASA. It’s baseball.” :D

I read this, literally, while reviewing documents for submitting a funding proposal to NASA in the next couple months.