Sox make more roster moves

Y2Jimmy0

Someone with more mastery of arbitration clock details help me out- so assume Semien starts the season in Chicago for 2 weeks and goes down to Charlotte when Beckham comes off the DL. The # of days he was with the big league club count towards his arbitration status. What, roughly, is the threshold for # of days this season that would mean we get an extra year out of him before free agency?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
Someone with more mastery of arbitration clock details help me out- so assume Semien starts the season in Chicago for 2 weeks and goes down to Charlotte when Beckham comes off the DL. The # of days he was with the big league club count towards his arbitration status. What, roughly, is the threshold for # of days this season that would mean we get an extra year out of him before free agency?

I think the number is actually unknown because the Super-2 deadline depends on what everyone else's numbers are as well. The rule is that the player must be in the top 22% of players that year for service time accrued.

Generally that translates to guys having to wait until early July to come up. Since Semien was also up last year, it's possible this 2 weeks could require keeping him in the minors through part of early August.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 05:41 PM)
I think the number is actually unknown because the Super-2 deadline depends on what everyone else's numbers are as well. The rule is that the player must be in the top 22% of players that year for service time accrued.

Generally that translates to guys having to wait until early July to come up. Since Semien was also up last year, it's possible this 2 weeks could require keeping him in the minors through part of early August.

A September call-up is counted as well?

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 06:47 PM)
A September call-up is counted as well?

Yes, if you check his service time right now it's like 0.027 years or something like that. That would add in to his super-2 count if he is sent back down and called up again later this year.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 11:31 PM)
If Veal makes this roster I'm going to throw up.

Veal was really good the final 2 months of last season, and he was dynamite in 2012. As a 2nd lefty on a team that probably isn't going to contend, they could do far worse than giving him a roster spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
Yes, if you check his service time right now it's like 0.027 years or something like that. That would add in to his super-2 count if he is sent back down and called up again later this year.

aha, got it. Thanks

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
MLB.Com had a nice piece on Cleto. How Cooper changed his delivery, bring his glove higher and doing away with the dreaded slide step.

He managed to pitch his way out of a pretty nasty situation against the Cubs today...all things considered, he's been very good this spring.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 1m

White Sox option reliever Guerra to AAA Charlotte. Was claimed from the Dodgers on Wed.

Interesting. Daniel Webb most likely makes the team.

Like I said. Webb will be closing by summer.

So we have to change the thread, Boggs released but back on minor league deal...he gets hot, my thread title is still POSSIBLE, but Boggs is now behind Jones/Lindstrom/Webb/Belisario and probably Cleto as well.

That said, a LOT of things can change in the span of 2+ months. Just like we're seeing with the first round draft pick decision.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
So we have to change the thread, Boggs released but back on minor league deal...he gets hot, my thread title is still POSSIBLE, but Boggs is now behind Jones/Lindstrom/Webb/Belisario and probably Cleto as well.

That said, a LOT of things can change in the span of 2+ months. Just like we're seeing with the first round draft pick decision.

This would be like had I said that Jordan Danks is going to be the cleanup hitter at some point. The fact that he's in the organization gives it a chance, but unless about 5 or 6 injuries happen, there's no chance of it happening other than in the technicality world.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
This would be like had I said that Jordan Danks is going to be the cleanup hitter at some point. The fact that he's in the organization gives it a chance, but unless about 5 or 6 injuries happen, there's no chance of it happening other than in the technicality world.

If Connor Gillaspie can hit 3rd on opening day...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)

Boggs knows he has a chance with the Sox in the future and Cooper has been pretty instrumental in showing a plan.