Attendance

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 07:36 PM)
Trains are better than buses, and if the weather is OK, a bike is better than a bus. If I take the bus to work, even with bus tracker which will tell me when the bus will be at my stop, it takes about 20 minutes from the time I step on the bus to the time I sit at my desk. It's about 12 minutes from the time I walk out my door until the time I sit at my desk if I take a bike. If I take a bus to work, I will walk home.

I don't own a car anymore. I use car sharing. Zipcar. The other thing is, when you are used to it, you walk a lot. Walking a mile or 2, I think nothing of it. When I was younger and lived in the suburbs, I would drive to go half a mile.

Agree on all accounts. On weekends going east to west in the city, you will save 30 minutes by bicycling.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ May 14, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
Agree on all accounts. On weekends going east to west in the city, you will save 30 minutes by bicycling.

And you can take all of the little one way roads and worry less about getting killed every second. Lawrence and Irving Park are terrifying, lol.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 14, 2014 -> 08:11 PM)
And you can take all of the little one way roads and worry less about getting killed every second. Lawrence and Irving Park are terrifying, lol.

I rode irving park for .5 mile to get to Rib Fest one year and I swore to never do it again. As a whole I know most all of the bike friendly roads but I'm rarely that far north.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 14, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)

One good thing Rahm has done is put bike lanes on a lot of streets. Even then, it seems people driving cars get more than a little frustrated when a bike is making better time than them and try to do something about it. I don't know how many times cars have weaved into the bike lanes right in front of me. I swear they all can't be unintentional.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
One good thing Rahm has done is put bike lanes on a lot of streets. Even then, it seems people driving cars get more than a little frustrated when a bike is making better time than them and try to do something about it. I don't know how many times cars have weaved into the bike lanes right in front of me. I swear they all can't be unintentional.

One of these days I will get you.

For sure -- a bike lane is great, but some roads are just not to be ridden on regardless. Riding on Western, for example, is reserved for thrill seekers. It's got to be at least as risky as base jumping, lol. The killer for me is parked cars opening their doors. I had a life-altering moment on Belmont once where I had to swerve into traffic to avoid a door and just by dumb luck there was nothing that hit me when I swerved.

To me, Damen is like the ultimate bike highway N/S for as long as it runs. I'll never understand why so many people choose to use Ashland. At least on the North side, there is flat out NOT enough space for bikers on that road.

Both Clark and Lincoln got a lot better when they expanded the bike lanes.

I actually rode from Bucktown to The Cell for a game a couple times, worked really well, except the mayhem right around the park. I took it slower so I wasn't a sweaty mess, but it was nice, about 8-9 miles.

Also walked from Bucktown (Damen/Webster) to The Cell for a game once, just as an adventure. Took the train home. But the walk was kind of a fun cultural experience, seeing all the neighborhoods.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
I actually rode from Bucktown to The Cell for a game a couple times, worked really well, except the mayhem right around the park. I took it slower so I wasn't a sweaty mess, but it was nice, about 8-9 miles.

Also walked from Bucktown (Damen/Webster) to The Cell for a game once, just as an adventure. Took the train home. But the walk was kind of a fun cultural experience, seeing all the neighborhoods.

Whew that sounds tiring. I want to ride my bike to a game but get confused which roads are good after Pilsen.

I thought I was a good walker for walking to UC from Chicago and Damen all the time.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 14, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Whew that sounds tiring. I want to ride my bike to a game but get confused which roads are good after Pilsen.

I thought I was a good walker for walking to UC from Chicago and Damen all the time.

I live out in the burbs now, but I used to love just wandering around in the city. The Sox game thing was a one-time deal, just wanted to try it once. I took it semi-slow, stopped once for some water, and again at Ricobene's for some grub. Took Milwaukee most of the way to downtown, then Canal south to Cermak, went east and cut south on local streets through Chinatown and Union Park. Took like 4 hours.

When I lived in Oak Park, my church was right near Damen/Webster. Spent a lot of time in that area.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 15, 2014 -> 07:05 AM)
When I lived in Oak Park, my church was right near Damen/Webster. Spent a lot of time in that area.

St. Hedwig's I assume? Beautiful building, had a fire a few years ago but I think they've fixed everything now.

rahm has made things WORSE. there was no need to put barriers on the bike lanes forcing parked cars to essentially be in the middle of the street. i hav eno prblem with bike lanes, but rahm used bikers as an excuse to hook up his buddies with a contract for the new barriers AND mini-snow plows that clean the bike lanes.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 13, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
They do average more attendance on weekends. A little over 19,000 on Fri-Sun and about 17,000 Mon-Thurs.

It would be a bigger difference but the weekday total is boosted by opening day and the 2 games vs the Cubs.

a 2k difference is not a major increase. if weekend attendance was 25k and up, then there would be truth to the " i cant get out on a weeknight with the kids" bulls*** excuse.

Sox have put giveaways on saturdays, sometimes coupled with fireworks postgame. they offer FREE autographs for kids along side $10 parking and $5 tickets. yet all i hear are excuses that I94 traffic sucks on the weekends.

it's pathetic that this fanbase keeps making excuses to not go to games. I at least respect eh guys that say " I prefer to watch on tv".

QUOTE (bmags @ May 14, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)

By good, do you mean "not black" or "i won't get his by maniacs all day long"?

Halsted is your best bet, as that's the closest to the park. Ashland and western are ok. all three have uninterrupted runs from belmont-39th. Also, all thee have bus routes, so you could take the bus for a bit too.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ May 15, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
By good, do you mean "not black" or "i won't get his by maniacs all day long"?

Halsted is your best bet, as that's the closest to the park. Ashland and western are ok. all three have uninterrupted runs from belmont-39th. Also, all thee have bus routes, so you could take the bus for a bit too.

I mean good for bikes. I have a hard time believing Ashland and Western are ever good to hop on a bike on.

I went to a game last year that ended around 10:30PM and had parked at least 4 or 5 blocks away, albeit among other Sox fans in a private lot that was actually just some guy using his convenience store's lot for baseball parking. There were police on every block on my walk back to the car.

Later, I went to the Cleveland DH debacle and just parked in the stadium lot. As cheap as anywhere else and no worries about walking around.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 15, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
I don't remember people ever complaining that the neighborhood around Chicago Stadium & the UC was too bad for people to attend games.

The UC is STILL a worse neighborhood than USCF is. It really isn't even close.