Attendance

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
Are you people seriously watching games and looking at your watch wishing it was over 20 minutes sooner?

It's not the length of the game. It's the pace. If there happens to be more challenges than usual, fine, it happens. But when a pitcher is taking 30 seconds between pitches with nobody on base, or a hitter is stepping out of the box between pitches with nobody on base, that's got to stop. Because it makes the game really boring.

Edited by flavum

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you people seriously watching games and looking at your watch wishing it was over 20 minutes sooner?

There's a huge difference between a game going 3:30+ and 2:45.

But even so, it's boring as hell to watch guys stand around all game and delay the game on purpose. A nice pace of play makes things a lot more interesting.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
Pitchers- stay on the mound

Hitters- stay in the box

Call high strikes.

There's no way in hell you're going to get strikes called letter high, or "at the arm pits." You want 1-0 games, you'll have them every game if that's the case. The game has changed, guys are throwing harder. You simply can't hit fastballs up there, it's much harder than hitting a low pitch.

Guys are striking out enough right now, and scoring is down. That's not the problem. It's the first 2 things you mentioned.

I am watching games with going to work the next day in mind, and thinking, do I want to stay up for the last two innings because I have to be up early? Or should I just go to bed and check the score in the morning?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
There's a huge difference between a game going 3:30+ and 2:45.

But even so, it's boring as hell to watch guys stand around all game and delay the game on purpose. A nice pace of play makes things a lot more interesting.

There's no way in hell you're going to get strikes called letter high, or "at the arm pits." You want 1-0 games, you'll have them every game if that's the case. The game has changed, guys are throwing harder. You simply can't hit fastballs up there, it's much harder than hitting a low pitch.

Guys are striking out enough right now, and scoring is down. That's not the problem. It's the first 2 things you mentioned.

That's fair. I wasn't really meaning up in the pits, but at the belt or a little higher, a lot of times they're called balls.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
That's fair. I wasn't really meaning up in the pits, but at the belt or a little higher, a lot of times they're called balls.

Gotcha. I've just heard so many people quote the old "arm pits to knees" without really thinking about how ridiculous that would look in today's game.

I'm game for about one ball above the belt. I think that's workable. So many hitters b**** about balls right at the belt called strikes, which is just ridiculous.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)
Gotcha. I've just heard so many people quote the old "arm pits to knees" without really thinking about how ridiculous that would look in today's game.

I'm game for about one ball above the belt. I think that's workable. So many hitters b**** about balls right at the belt called strikes, which is just ridiculous.

I hate that, a belt high pitch is a meatball.

Back to attendance - it's all about season tickets. I just watched the highlights of the Yankees game tonight. Announced attendance was 41000+ (85 percent of capacity according to mlb.com). No way there was more than 32000 there (approx 65 percent of capacity).

It would be interesting to know the season ticket numbers for all of the teams. I bet actual attendance doesn't go much over the season ticket numbers on most days because of the secondary ticket market.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
They don't care about the guy that goes to a game here and there, it affects the season ticket holders greatly though as well as tv viewership. They have to make it where the expectation is to get the game over in 2:45 or less

Tv likes longer games. More ads to sell

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 12:54 AM)
Back to attendance - it's all about season tickets. I just watched the highlights of the Yankees game tonight. Announced attendance was 41000+ (85 percent of capacity according to mlb.com). No way there was more than 32000 there (approx 65 percent of capacity).

It would be interesting to know the season ticket numbers for all of the teams. I bet actual attendance doesn't go much over the season ticket numbers on most days because of the secondary ticket market.

I know that Dodger stadium is huge, but it didnt look like many people were there last night

Tv likes longer games. More ads to sell

Except that the amount of commercial time during a game varies only with the number of mid-inning pitching changes. Assuming the same number of pitching changes, a 3½ hour game has the same amount of commercial time as a 2½ hour game. TV should like shorter games

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 06:45 AM)
18,803 and 18,424 so far this week.

It has to be 25,000+ for Sale/Scherzer tomorrow night and the White Sox with a chance to cut the lead down to 1 1/2 games...doesn't it???

Maybe on a Thursday night, with kids out of school, but I doubt it. What are the advance sales? Nobody's going to walk up.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)
Maybe on a Thursday night, with kids out of school, but I doubt it. What are the advance sales? Nobody's going to walk up.

It should be a LOT of walk up...we've had crowds earlier in the year in only the 10-11,000 range, so the season ticket base for those games logically has to be around 8,500 to 9,500 before any additional ticket is sold.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 12:45 AM)
18,803 and 18,424 so far this week.

It has to be 25,000+ for Sale/Scherzer tomorrow night and the White Sox with a chance to cut the lead down to 1 1/2 games...doesn't it???

Pretty piss poor performance by the Tigers fans, usually they provide a jump in attendance.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 06:42 AM)
Pretty piss poor performance by the Tigers fans, usually they provide a jump in attendance.

Seems the Braves-like apathy is starting to set in...apathy, a bit.

Especially with the current Tigers' team on a 6-16 run, Verlander looking nothing like an ace and Scherzer looking merely human...on the other hand, how exciting is it when you're team's 27-12 and has the best record in the majors and just mowing down opponents and the division lead is already a full 7 games on May 18th and 19th?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 08:18 AM)
There were a s*** ton of Tigers fans there last night. It was us with the bad performance

How many is a s**ton exactly? :)

It was less than normal. I am guessing they were scared off by the rain.

Attendance last night was awful. Tonight better be better. Sox played awesome and exciting ball last night.

Plus....Kate Upton!