Sox sign Tommy Hanson

GGajewski18

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 4m

#chisox sign tommy hanson to minor league deal

I like it.

Nice. I kind of feel like he won't return to his former self, but if he ever does we've got a major steal.

The usual low-risk, small percentage of high-reward accolades unto Hahn.

Yeah, I'm cool with it. I've seen him pitch a lot since I've been in Atlanta the last few years, and he was incredibly frustrating. You can't argue with his stuff, but he hasn't been very good or consistent since probably early 2011. Might as well give it a shot, though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
Any word on what has happened to him? Injury?

Huge workloads, lost velocity, many nagging injuries. Went from future stud in Atlanta to dud in LAA. He's pretty horrific now, sadly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
Any word on what has happened to him? Injury?

He has a bum shoulder, and its probably cost him his career. If he could ever get things back it would be a heck of a deal, but thats far from likely at this point. There are some people that have said that his mechanics are jacked up from pitching through the injury, but I think the Rangers cutting him loose probably shows he has little left in the tank.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
He has a bum shoulder, and its probably cost him his career. If he could ever get things back it would be a heck of a deal, but thats far from likely at this point. There are some people that have said that his mechanics are jacked up from pitching through the injury, but I think the Rangers cutting him loose probably shows he has little left in the tank.

Shoulder is the worst injury of all. It means he is most likely done for, and enjoy Charlotte.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
Any chance they look at him for the pen? Could really use him as a long man. Or does he go to Charlotte to be the first man up should an injury happen?

No 40 man spot I presume?

You know, they might well put him in one of their minor league bullpens to see how he reacts.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)

This. The Rangers are as desperate as they get right now for starting pitching, so if they can't even use this guy...

I'm would bet Hanson is looking at the Sox as the organization to go to see if he can be fixed. They have a great reputation for this kind of stuff. Hahn eluded to this last week, when he spoke of pitchers seeking out the White Sox to sign with. I wonder if negotiation was in the back of his head at the time, or if he was sending a message to Hanson to come here?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
I'm would bet Hanson is looking at the Sox as the organization to go to see if he can be fixed. They have a great reputation for this kind of stuff. Hahn eluded to this last week, when he spoke of pitchers seeking out the White Sox to sign with. I wonder if negotiation was in the back of his head at the time, or if he was sending a message to Hanson to come here?

This is very true. I wonder if that will work when Sox start to get good and compete and this factor will high end pitchers here.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
He's the poster boy as to why you shouldn't throw 25% sliders. Take note, Chris Sale.

(of course, Randy Johnson averaged 38.6% from 02-09)

Eh, Hanson's issues are with his shoulder. Sliders usually lead to elbow issues.

Hanson has a pretty bad timing problem in his delivery, which is why he's had shoulder issues.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Pitchi...ommyHanson.html

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
Any chance they look at him for the pen? Could really use him as a long man. Or does he go to Charlotte to be the first man up should an injury happen?

Unless Hanson completely alters his delivery (I think he tried to adjust it with Atlanta and it didn't do him any good), he's not going to stay healthy.

He should probably be used in the bullpen if you want any real productivity out of him.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
Eh, Hanson's issues are with his shoulder. Sliders usually lead to elbow issues.

Hanson has a pretty bad timing problem in his delivery, which is why he's had shoulder issues.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Pitchi...ommyHanson.html

Personally, I don't mind the late ER as much. Sale has some of this. It does create some stress. What I don't like is the lack of trunk flexion and hip flexion during the follow through. He stands up too straight after the pitch and wraps his arm around after the pitch. This makes the posterior shoulder absorb the forces that cannot be dissipated through a longer eccentric contraction. thus he gets to the fully cocked position late and doesn't dissipate the forces later. This was always my comment on Peavy. It drives me crazy when pitchers have the poor follow through.