Avisail Garcia is out for the rest of 2014

Buehrle>Wood

What sucks the most here is that we don't even know if he's any good. Next year we'll be wanting to put out a playoff-ready team but we'll have to start a 23 year old, iffy-fielding RF that swings at everything and has less than 500 ABs of track record. This was the perfect year to let him fail, but it will be a lot more difficult from here on out.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
Joy.

FWIW, labrum repairs have come a really long way since 2004. Beyond that, the kind of labral tear you get from impact like this is a lot more common and straightforward to repair. He should be 100%.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
What sucks the most here is that we don't even know if he's any good. Next year we'll be wanting to put out a playoff-ready team but we'll have to start a 23 year old, iffy-fielding RF that swings at everything and has less than 500 ABs of track record. This was the perfect year to let him fail, but it will be a lot more difficult from here on out.

Although I think this is a dark cloud assessment. It is dead on. He really needed this year to grow into his position and and get consistent instruction. If you look at his track record as a professional he has not spent very long in one place and advanced rapidly. That is not an ideal way to learn the game as a professional and work on growing as a player. This should have been a very important developmental year for him. No other way to put it. This sucks.

Well son of a b****! Just when things start really looking up...a kick right in the sack. Yea...the dive last week was brutal enough...I didn't see the one the other night that caused his injury...but can only imagine. This sucks!

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
It's most likely just a sprain of the AC joint, a capsulitis (jam) of the glenohumeral joint or a subacromial bursitis. If this is the case it's no more than a week or two on the conservative side.

He didn't move it so it's impossible to know if there was an injury more serious such as a SLAP lesion or bicep tendon injury. Those are unlikely but possible when you force the humerus straight up into the acromion.

Looks like it was one of the unlikely ones. At least it's not a 3rd degree sepration which are tough to fix. These aren't as bad unless the biceps tendon became heavily damaged as well. He will be good to go for next spring training.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
What hitters have successfully recovered from this injury? I saw Matt Kemp had labrum surgery a few years ago.

I believe Quentin did. He just kept hurting everything else.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
Looks like it was one of the unlikely ones. At least it's not a 3rd degree sepration which are tough to fix. These aren't as bad unless the biceps tendon became heavily damaged as well. He will be good to go for next spring training.

Nice to have the resident Doc on call :)

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
Looked up labrum repair.

http://blog.c-o-r.com/2012/03/28/what-to-e...y-slap-bankart/

It says the recovery time is typically 3 months, which means with a rehab stint and advanced treatment he could be back by late August at worst. If the Sox are holding him out for the season, that is a good thing to allow him additional time to heal and re-build strength before taking on baseball activities. Sure it sucks that it will stunt him a little, but having him work his way back slowly may payoff off well in the long term.

That's at the low end and not usually for someone in professional sports. With Gracia it's his front shoulder for the swing and the rotation strength really needs to be there. The actual time will be closer to 6 months before he is completely back to normal. It could be closer to the 3 months but I doubt it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
Since it's a torn labrum, does it matter that it's the left shoulder rather than the right shoulder?

It would be more challenging in the right as it would be the throwing shoulder. He should recover fine.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
Joy.

There is a difference between a "fray" and a 'tear" anatomically. With a fray the tissue has degenerated over time and there may not be enough viable tissue to use for a repair. At least in this case there should be a good repair.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)

FWIW, labrum repairs have come a really long way since 2004. Beyond that, the kind of labral tear you get from impact like this is a lot more common and straightforward to repair. He should be 100%.

Correct. The anchors they use for them now are much more effective, especially if th biceps is invloved.

QUOTE (Nokona @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
Could it affect his swing? Particularly the inner half, something he already struggles with...

Yes, it could. That's the worry with this one. However, it should be fine. The strength and stability at the end ranges of motion wil be the key. This is where the "bringing the hands in" could be effected.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 09:10 PM)
What I would like to point out is that this definitely opens up plenty of playing time for Viciedo, so we will see once and for all what the Sox have in him.

This sucks a big one though.

Or De Aza. I might add though that we may see more of Jordan Danks and get an idea if he is a platoon player or can give it a shot as a starter in the OF. Garcia hit right handed so now Viciedo is the only Right handed hitting option on the OF roster. Danks and De Aza now battling for the LH at bats/playing time. If people think we are left handed hitting heavy we are now more so certainly

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 04:39 PM)
Is Viciedo a defensive upgrade in RF?

f*** no.

Anyone not excited about Garcia is a moron IMO. Guy was projected for over 10 war over the next 4 reasons, and what he showed in a week and a half in 2014 is that that might have been way low. He was breaking out big time and now he just lost a year of his development.

If there is any silver ligning it's that it's his non throwing shoulder but that's it. He's not going to be able to pick up a bat or ball for 3-4 months.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 04:42 PM)
f*** no.

I haven't seen a lot of Garcia in RF, but from what I saw, he did not read the ball well off the bat, did not take good routes, and was pretty slow moving in the outfield even with his good speed. If anything, I think these two are a wash, but I'd honestly probably give Viciedo a slight edge.

Anyone not excited about Garcia is a moron IMO. Guy was projected for over 10 war over the next 4 reasons, and what he showed in a week and a half in 2014 is that that might have been way low. He was breaking out big time and now he just lost a year of his development.

If there is any silver ligning it's that it's his non throwing shoulder but that's it. He's not going to be able to pick up a bat or ball for 3-4 months.

I'm excited about the talent of Garcia, but I was and have never really been excited about the prospect of Garcia. There were a lot of things he does that are wrong, but the talent is undeniable and the best way to correct those mistakes is to have him play. He can't do that, so it's a huge bummer because we don't know if they're correctable and, if they are, we have to wait a full year for him now to start making those adjustments.

I am sorry about Garcia but we are bringing up Jordan Danks who played well during st seemed to have improved his hitting. His fielding has always been his strongest attribute. I felt that he should have made the 25 man roster from spring training Hope Avisail comes back with a well healed shoulder and hopefully about 25 pounds lighter so he can get to the ball without a head first dive.......

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 09:10 PM)
What I would like to point out is that this definitely opens up plenty of playing time for Viciedo, so we will see once and for all what the Sox have in him.

This sucks a big one though.

OOOOhhh.... I was waiting to see if someone would say it. I wasn't going to. Let's go Viciedo!