Avisail Garcia is out for the rest of 2014

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
Thank alot you lawn ornament Viciedo. You are part of the reason Avi is out rest of 2014.

Seriously...anyone writing this didn't watch Garcia's dive last week. Unless someone got him to stop doing that, he was going to damage something while diving.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
I was immediately back in high draft pick mode. I want to turn on the games to watch Abreu, Eaton, and Semien. I am looking forward to Matt Davidson coming up and Chris Sale starts. Other than that, I will check that Winston Salem box score and hope that Hahn can dump a bunch of guys by the deadline. What a f***ing downer of a day.

You may not be watching Semien much longer once Beckham and Kepp return.

let's put things in perspective for all those who thought the White Sox were actually competing for the Central. the biggest hit from this is (like someone said before) Avi losing the development time this season. like it was said before, we have him under control for years. we weren't going to win anything this season, so let's not give up on this team just yet. there are still pieces in place that might be serviceable for the 153 games left. LOL Jordan Danks had a GREAT spring so we know he can play ball...maybe he's more ready than Avi to play every day...? who knows. all we had going into this year was an IDEA of what Avi could produce. maybe we can get a little of that production between Danks, Viciedo and De Aza. it's a shame for sure, but it's not the end of the world.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 07:11 PM)
Seriously...anyone writing this didn't watch Garcia's dive last week. Unless someone got him to stop doing that, he was going to damage something while diving.

That poster who said Piersall hates outfielders diving for the ball intrigued me. If it is frowned upon, shame on the Sox for not instructing their guys better. Garcia's career now in serious jeopardy. Just another guy to fill one of baseball's DH spots now if he can hit well enough.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
That poster who said Piersall hates outfielders diving for the ball intrigued me. If it is frowned upon, shame on the Sox for not instructing their guys better. Garcia's career now in serious jeopardy. Just another guy to fill one of baseball's DH spots now if he can hit well enough.

I don't know that it's frowned upon...but Avisail Garcia looked terrible in both attempts. In the one last week I thought he was an inch from breaking his wrist in half. This one, well...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)

would you calm the f down? all you do is post doom and gloom (the undertone in all your posts are like this) surprised you haven't blamed Robin or Dunn for this.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
let's put things in perspective for all those who thought the White Sox were actually competing for the Central. the biggest hit from this is (like someone said before) Avi losing the development time this season. like it was said before, we have him under control for years. we weren't going to win anything this season, so let's not give up on this team just yet. there are still pieces in place that might be serviceable for the 153 games left. LOL Jordan Danks had a GREAT spring so we know he can play ball...maybe he's more ready than Avi to play every day...? who knows. all we had going into this year was an IDEA of what Avi could produce. maybe we can get a little of that production between Danks, Viciedo and De Aza. it's a shame for sure, but it's not the end of the world.

One of the main reasons in which I watch these games is out for the season. I didn't think they'd compete either but there only chance at competing included Garcia in the middle of that order. Not to mention the fact that everyone wanted to watch him play.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
One of the main reasons in which I watch these games is out for the season. I didn't think they'd compete either but there only chance at competing included Garcia in the middle of that order. Not to mention the fact that everyone wanted to watch him play.

I agree just a huge blow to Avi's overall development.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)

Yup, a big bummer for the present and near future. I had a good view of it from the seat I was in. He was in a lot of pain.

Looked up labrum repair.

http://blog.c-o-r.com/2012/03/28/what-to-e...y-slap-bankart/

It says the recovery time is typically 3 months, which means with a rehab stint and advanced treatment he could be back by late August at worst. If the Sox are holding him out for the season, that is a good thing to allow him additional time to heal and re-build strength before taking on baseball activities. Sure it sucks that it will stunt him a little, but having him work his way back slowly may payoff off well in the long term.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 10:36 PM)
Looked alot like an AC injury from the way he hit and the way he held it. Herm did all the right tests it was difficult the results. Hopefully its' just a mild one. If the X-rays didn't show a separation it shouldn't be too bad.

Since it's a torn labrum, does it matter that it's the left shoulder rather than the right shoulder?

I'm one guy who did not want Tank traded, he is too young to give up on. He now has his chance to step it up and reach the potential we all thought he had when we signed him. Up until now it looked like a platoon role for him but with Garcia out for the year Tank has to do the job, I'm not a big DeAza fan but I guess he gets LF full time and Danks will be the 4th outfielder and a late inning replacement for Tank. It could still be a fun year as we watch some of these guys develop.

Position players have labrums too. Angels third baseman Troy Glaus may miss the rest of the year with his "frayed" labrum (there's no difference between a fray and a tear). Last year, Dodgers slugger Shawn Green lost a significant amount of power because of a severe labrum tear. - Slate.com article from 2004 titled "Baseball's most feared injury."

Joy.

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
I'm one guy who did not want Tank traded, he is too young to give up on. He now has his chance to step it up and reach the potential we all thought he had when we signed him. Up until now it looked like a platoon role for him but with Garcia out for the year Tank has to do the job, I'm not a big DeAza fan but I guess he gets LF full time and Danks will be the 4th outfielder and a late inning replacement for Tank. It could still be a fun year as we watch some of these guys develop.

While this is all true - it still sucks.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
While this is all true - it still sucks.

You're right, no doubt about it. Hate to bring it up but down through the years going back to Monty Stratton the Sox have had some good young talent who suffered some bad injuries, Bill Melton and Carlos May are two that come to mind.

Edited by The Mighty Mite