Game Thread 4/17 - BOS @ SOX

cabiness42

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)
I'd be concerned if the players didn't know it was a rebuilding year after the GM trades the previous season's closer for a minor league 3rd baseman.

That makes perfect sense to you and I....but we aren't on the field nearly every day possessing the competitiveness of professional athletes. You don't think these guys are pissed that their truly impressive efforts are being thwarted by a b.s. pen? The front office and coaching staff need to be reinforcing to these guys that this is a rebuilding year if they don't plan on fixing the pen.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 04:21 AM)
How old is he and how long do we have him?

They could give two s***s about 2014 and that's a quote from someone in management.

You have the word from management, so what's the big picture? Are the Sox supposed to have a dominant rotation in 3-4 years and have all the position players set by then? I thought most of our minor league outfielders are busts. If that's true, the outfield still needs to be rebuilt with only Eaton and maybe Garcia suitable fixtures.

I guess we have a minor league shortstop phenom, right? We have a third baseman in Davidson. Semien is future second baseman. Abreu at first. We have no catcher right now. We have a bullpen that can be built in free agency year to year i guess.

But what is management's plan? Just to keep sucking and drafting good starting pitchers and eventually build a kick-ass starting rotation? It appears to me defense is not a priority of management.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)
I mean look at that s***. Would you rather fix a rotation or a bullpen?

The bullpen, rotations are far to costly to fix. I also think our bullpen while a mess right now has some bright spots and solid development going on with Petricka & Webb. We also have a young major league lotto ticket in Cleto and last but not least Jones is will only be 29 going into next season and we've got Goldberg and Hansen moving up as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)
I personally think Dunn will net us our next set up guy at the deadline.

I'm with you I think when the sox begin to sell off this year we get some solid prospects and useful major league pieces.

Rock, please ask your management friends why they are laughing off this season when every other team in our division is just as rotten? Do they have something against winning a crappy division? Just because we'd get killed in the playoffs doesn't seem to me a good enough reason to not take this mediocre division in which all the teams are screaming they are .500 at best.

If the Sox had a bullpen better than Class A level they'd be 10-6 right now at the minimum and right there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
You have the word from management, so what's the big picture? Are the Sox supposed to have a dominant rotation in 3-4 years and have all the position players set by then? I thought most of our minor league outfielders are busts. If that's true, the outfield still needs to be rebuilt with only Eaton and maybe Garcia suitable fixtures.

I guess we have a minor league shortstop phenom, right? We have a third baseman in Davidson. Semien is future second baseman. Abreu at first. We have no catcher right now. We have a bullpen that can be built in free agency year to year i guess.

But what is management's plan? Just to keep sucking and drafting good starting pitchers and eventually build a kick-ass starting rotation? It appears to me defense is not a priority of management.

SS tim anderson?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/#list=cws

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)

Eh, no one would use the term phenom, but yes, our best prospect is a SS, Tim Anderson.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 01:56 AM)
Eh, no one would use the term phenom, but yes, our best prospect is a SS, Tim Anderson.

For now, but I still believe Hawkins has an equal if not greater chance to be a superstar.

Anderson's more like a bigger version of Ray Durham.