White Sox @ Rangers 2:05 PM - CSN

Hawkfan

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
It's not annoying, it's just the law of averages.

Over the course of 2000 some plate appearances, no hitters are going to have half of their balls in play turn into hits. Many would be extremely lucky to have 35% of those fall. It's just not plausible to have half of them turn into hits.

Flowers isn't going to have a .567 BABIP for the rest of the year. What he's doing now just isn't sustainable. There's nothing annoying about it, it's just reality.

It's annoying in the context of the way it's being presented. It's as if we shouldn't care that our guy just got on base because advanced stats says it's not gonna last forever.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
Even if it's around .350, he might be a .250 hitter, which I'd be fine with.

But you have to realize that luck is not a skill. The chances of Flowers replicating his high BABIP in following years is pretty unlikely.

What would be really nice for Flowers is to see a few more balls banging off the fences/leaving the park right now.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
Even if it's around .350, he might be a .250 hitter, which I'd be fine with.

But you have to realize that luck is not a skill. The chances of Flowers replicating his high BABIP in following years is pretty unlikely.

I agree with that. He is still fanning a lot and not walking at all, but we might as well take whatever we can get out of him. If it's jam shot loopers to RF at a .360 clip, that is far better than what the Sox have ever gotten out of him before.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
It's annoying in the context of the way it's being presented. It's as if we shouldn't care that our guy just got on base because advanced stats says it's not gonna last forever.

This.. He brings up all the time and it is getting annoying. I think we know Flowers isn't going to sustain this. I don't need some advanced stat to tell me that every game

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)

Uh, the first mention of it in this thread was followed by a :D face

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)

I want Flowers to succeed as a player.

But when I look at it objectively, I still don't think very highly of him, even when he's almost hitting .400 this year.

Tyler has never had a hot streak like this. So that means that he has created a huge progression, which is something to celebrate. Hopefully the regression has a higher support level going forward due to this new growth, maybe even a head and shoulders bottom if you will. We used to just say stay hot flowers.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
This.. He brings up all the time and it is getting annoying. I think we know Flowers isn't going to sustain this. I don't need some advanced stat to tell me that every game

It's one of the more remarkable things about the season. It's 120 points higher than anyone in the league.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 07:53 PM)
Does anyone remember when Bevington got so sick of walks he started yanking guys after they walked 2? It didn't last long. The walks did.

that is hilarious. I'd love to see that, just for the laughs.