Is Adam Dunn necessarily a goner after this year?

VAfan

QUOTE (LDF @ May 1, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)
yeah.... he wasn't that good of an outfielder period. I think it was always understood he was going to be the next dh.

They've done him no favors with the number of position switches he's been put through. With his arm he could still well be an average OF but switching positions every year or so is a recipe for a guy to never get good at a position.

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread here but it's on-topic..

Are there any statistical studies that support the need to consider handedness in line up construction? I get the concept, but I have to wonder whether it is an overrated consideration and/or if teams are ridiculously overpaying just to have a "power lefty" in their lineup.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ May 1, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread here but it's on-topic..

Are there any statistical studies that support the need to consider handedness in line up construction? I get the concept, but I have to wonder whether it is an overrated consideration and/or if teams are ridiculously overpaying just to have a "power lefty" in their lineup.

Actually, it was discussed on here a little bit. Basically, the most effective lineup is one that alternates between left and right throughout the lineup (much like the Sox). I don't know if or how much of that is affected by starting pitchers, but it wears out bullpens.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
Actually, it was discussed on here a little bit. Basically, the most effective lineup is one that alternates between left and right throughout the lineup (much like the Sox). I don't know if or how much of that is affected by starting pitchers, but it wears out bullpens.

there was a great talk even longer than a little while back. but I don't remember a study ever being done.

baseball experts were the one who thought of it. I remember a long time ago I believe in the 90's where we were

all righty except 1 hitter. the other team just threw lefty at us. do you remember when we had, what something

like 3 or 4 lefties pitching.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 1, 2014 -> 05:35 PM)
there was a great talk even longer than a little while back. but I don't remember a study ever being done.

baseball experts were the one who thought of it. I remember a long time ago I believe in the 90's where we were

all righty except 1 hitter. the other team just threw lefty at us. do you remember when we had, what something

like 3 or 4 lefties pitching.

That was the lineup that Ozzie would always throw against Johan Santana.

I think Dunn is gone at the deadline for prospects or pitching. I think the organization is soured enough on the whole experience with Adam that they won't keep him around another year no matter what he does the rest of this one. I think we have our 2015 DH in the making with Tank.

QUOTE (DashFan @ May 1, 2014 -> 11:19 PM)
I think Dunn is gone at the deadline for prospects or pitching. I think the organization is soured enough on the whole experience with Adam that they won't keep him around another year no matter what he does the rest of this one. I think we have our 2015 DH in the making with Tank.

I respectfully disagree. Dunn is a class act, his return on the money invested may not have been rewarding, but

he provides more to the org..... look at what he did, by picking up the check a couple of weeks ago. sorry, but I

can't remember why, but I remembered the gesture. that is but 1 example of what he has done... there are a couple

more, but I am sure you got my point.

The other factor here is that Dunn would likely give the Sox a discount, given how badly he played for them over a significant part of his current contract. Which might make his next contract a bargain, believe it or not.

QUOTE (VAfan @ May 1, 2014 -> 07:06 PM)
The other factor here is that Dunn would likely give the Sox a discount, given how badly he played for them over a significant part of his current contract. Which might make his next contract a bargain, believe it or not.

The problem with that is, even if Dunn has a better year than te last couple, he's not getting much money anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2014 -> 12:23 AM)
The problem with that is, even if Dunn has a better year than te last couple, he's not getting much money anyway.

\I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities that Dunn is back with the Sox. But, it won't be at $14M a year nor do I see him getting that kind of money anywhere. I can see Viciedo at DH but he can play the OF too. He has a strong arm and if not moved around all the time can learn his position better. He won't be a Torii Hunter though by any means. If he goes to DH in 2015 it means the Sox promote a minor league OF prospect to play RF. Interesting decisions to be made

QUOTE (VAfan @ May 1, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)

I really dont see how you could deduce that, these guys are trying to get good paychecks. Goodwill is far overstated

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 2, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
Or both. He could be traded and be back next year.

Take over his salary, maybe a prospect and a player to be named later. He would be the fifth guy in MLB history to be traded for himself. :lol: :huh: :o

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
I really dont see how you could deduce that, these guys are trying to get good paychecks. Goodwill is far overstated

This. These guys know what the other players at their position make, are competitive, and want the best paychecks. Just like real people with ordinary jobs.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)

Although it seemingly entered into the Peavy contract he signed with the White Sox...at least to an extent.

Different circumstances entirely with Dunn, though.