White Sox Winner!

flavum

Abreu is a genuine superstar. Even when he's struggling, which he has been, he is still productive. And when he's hot, he's unstoppable. He can really use a couple of days off though.

What a bush league dirty slide by Donaldson kicking Ramirez when Alexei was way wide of the bag. File that one and make him pay when they meet again.

Nice job by Rienzo.

Good win to avoid the long losing streak.

Conor Gillaspie is quietly putting together a very good season. He's been solid with the glove and he's doing what he needs to do at the plate to be a MLB regular. That was a freaking steal by Hahn. The guy always had 1st round talent, just needed a place to find it.

If he turns into a good player for us I will give Ventura a lot of credit.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 14, 2014 -> 05:41 PM)
He's earned his spot. No question.

His peripherals are terrible because he gives up a lot of HRs. But I've always liked him and it's good to see him succeed so far. However, from an objective point of view, he's gotta stop giving up the long ball. Sooner or later, those solos he's given up will be 3 run homers and he won't be so lucky.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 14, 2014 -> 07:55 PM)
His peripherals are terrible because he gives up a lot of HRs. But I've always liked him and it's good to see him succeed so far. However, from an objective point of view, he's gotta stop giving up the long ball. Sooner or later, those solos he's given up will be 3 run homers and he won't be so lucky.

I haven't seen him as much th is year, but last year he was throwing a big curveball that seemed like it was at risk of turning into a hanger sometimes. I wonder if learning how to control/tighten up/vary speeds on that curveball will help with that over time.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:26 PM)
gillaspie has a wRC+ of 134 verse RHB and a wRC+ of 40 against LHP. He and Semian should be in a strict platoon. Semien's future might well be as a utility player so I see no harm in getting him innings at 3B as much as possible, even if it hurts this year's team a bit.

You're practically guaranteeing his future as a bench player if you restrict him to occasional starts against LHP

QUOTE (Jake @ May 15, 2014 -> 01:12 AM)
You're practically guaranteeing his future as a bench player if you restrict him to occasional starts against LHP

Well right now he's the odd man out due to a number of factors. Hopefully Gordon plays himself off the team in the form of a legit prospect and Semian is the full time 2B the rest of the way. But until then I think you gotta start Conor and Gordon most days.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 15, 2014 -> 12:25 AM)
Well right now he's the odd man out due to a number of factors. Hopefully Gordon plays himself off the team in the form of a legit prospect and Semian is the full time 2B the rest of the way. But until then I think you gotta start Conor and Gordon most days.

Bottom line, Semien is getting 4-6 days a week in the majors or he should be in the minors. His future COULD be as a utility player, but Gordon Beckham's could too and frankly his future as a utility player is far likelier at this point.