• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything :) but with regards to minor leaguers/Sox draft:

- I didn't want Sox to draft Trout, as I thought he was too much like Rowand

- Was against Wacha due to 2-pitch repertoire

- Liked the Mitchell draft pick after watching him in CWS

- Loved the Beckham draft pick after watching him in CWS

- I thought Anderson would hit .300 this year (I bought into the hype from Jason Parks' scouting report on him)

- I'm still waiting for Dexter Carter to be Sox closer of the future

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
Nice fathom, some of those I was on too. But was more looking for this year, if possible - guys you thought would look good this year but haven't, or guys you were down on that have looked good so far.

The easiest one for this year is Matt Davidson. I liked his numbers from his MLB at bats last year, and I remember the bomb he hit in the Futures Game. Never did I imagine that he would struggle so much for Charlotte. Carlos Sanchez is starting to put together some good numbers, as I haven't considered him a prospect at all for over a year.

With the obvious caveat of Balta saying he's obviously working on other pitches, Beck has been a disappointment this year for me. If I think of others, I'll post them later too. Also, if you see others from me, please feel free to post them in here. I have no problem being called out! (and I will fight back ;) )

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 27, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)
With the obvious caveat of Balta saying he's obviously working on other pitches, Beck has been a disappointment this year for me. If I think of others, I'll post them later too. Also, if you see others from me, please feel free to post them in here. I have no problem being called out! (and I will fight back ;) )

Well you and I were two of the biggest supporters of Marcus being the starter at 2b all season. Granted I do think he'd be fine as the season went on if he were getting regular ab's but so far Gordon has been better.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 27, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
Ya definitely EJ. I thought he would have no problems being a middle of the rotation starter this year.

I'm not incredibly surprised by struggles from EJ, that's what I expected from a near-rookie pitcher and why I kept calling this a rebuilding year, but the velocity loss is more than a bit surprising.

Micah Johnson has been much better than I was expecting.

Possibly Carlos Sanchez who I was very down on, though his .377 BABIP and career worst 20.2 K% don't point towards his production being sustainable. The uptick in BB% is nice though.

Adam Engel's contact rate has been very disappointing. I liked him a lot.

Semien has been a big disappointment. I was hoping/expecting him to take the reigns at 2B and never look back.

Had some concerns about Davidson's K's, but could have never expected him to be this bad. Same for EJ, who could have predicted his diminishing velocity?

I was somewhat hopeful that Trayce could put it all together this year. Was very encouraged by his improved K% last year and hoped it would carry into '14 along with a return to his normal power level. Rather it's been the K% that returned to normal and the power has been worse.

Unfortunately more of these are on the negative side than positive.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ May 27, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)
I was really looking forward to Jake Cose this year, that ended before it started. Historically speaking I thought CJ Retherford was going to be the next Casey McGehee after his breakout year in Birmingham, pretty sad to see him struggle and not in Indy ball.

Going back some, I thought Jeremy Reed was gonna be a STUD. Like amazing player. He could field, he could run, he could walk, hit for an amazing average. I am most surprised that he didn't even become a solid major leaguer.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 27, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
Going back some, I thought Jeremy Reed was gonna be a STUD. Like amazing player. He could field, he could run, he could walk, hit for an amazing average. I am most surprised that he didn't even become a solid major leaguer.

Hadn't thought about that name in YEARS, how could you not get your hopes up about him after 2003?

Matt Davidson - I didn't see this bad of a start coming

Erik Johnson - Where did his stuff go? tonight in 4IP 8H 3BB and 8ER...

Jacob May - I thought it A+ might be a little bit of a challenge for him but he is struggling, his K% & BB% remain the same and his BABIP is .75 down but wow, I hope he is able to turn int around

Other than Davidson, who I still expect to fare well, I thought Wilkins would have a better year and maybe look like a MLB replacement candidate. Not seeing that yet.

I also was more down on Micah Johnson than most people, as I wouldn't have predicted his start in AA

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ May 27, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)
Some dude named Abreu

I give Hahn a lot more credit for pulling the trigger than Paddy.

Anyone could see Abreu's talent. It's finding undervalued guys like Alexei Ramirez and Tadahito Iguchi that's MUCH more difficult.

Plus, I'm still not over Nestor Molina and disappointed that we put any faith in him, Zach Stewart or Jeff Marquez ever amounting to anything.

Keenyn Walker, too. We only know that name because he was the first player drafted that particular year.