Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:21 PM)
I love everything Rodon says. I feel like his rep is bad but he's a smart kid. Everything is honest, makes sense and with just the right amount of cockiness/confidence. Reminds of a little bit more lively version of Carlos Quentin.

His team rode him hard to try and make playoffs and I think he did everything possible to help them win vs. himself.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
LOL at the money aspect again.

Hawk was going on about that again last night too.

No matter who you pick at #3 and give $5M+ to, you're still paying Jeff Keppinger more money than that to sit at home and slap his pickle around.

Perspective.

Don't be a-scared. Buy a dog if you're a-scared.

Perspective is how much of your draft do you want to NOT sign, to sign one guy?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:29 PM)

If they truly believe Rodon is a future ace, then I'm fine with them risking most of their draft on him. I read a review of the Cubs draft a few years ago with Baez, and they missed on almost all of their picks after him. If he ends up a perennial all-star, then I would say they had a good draft.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 05:31 PM)
If they truly believe Rodon is a future ace, then I'm fine with them risking most of their draft on him. I read a review of the Cubs draft a few years ago with Baez, and they missed on almost all of their picks after him. If he ends up a perennial all-star, then I would say they had a good draft.

When the Sox selected McDowell, Ventura and Thomas the rest of those drafts were basically nothing.if the Sox draft Rodon and he turns into a star, they had a great draft.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)

This has worked out so well for the Sox .............pay the best draft pick available for once. This is why Sox system is so low on talent.

Edited by Soxfest

I think they would if they believed that, but I don't think either of the guys that they feel that way about will be there at #3.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 05:35 PM)
This has worked out so well for the Sox .............pay the best draft pick for once. This is why Sox system is so low on talent.

The Sox have done a great job of drafting the last two seasons, the system is starting to build but the system needs quality AND quantity to help build up the system so that they have reliable players to graduate to the ML roster.

Yup.

(Hopefully) we don't get a #3 draft pick for a long time. Let's not waste a chance at a top tier talent because we are afraid to spend the year that we are this high.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 05:39 PM)
The Sox have done a great job of drafting the last two seasons, the system is starting to build but the system needs quality AND quantity to help build up the system so that they have reliable players to graduate to the ML roster.

Yes because of the slotted system, Sox do not need to get too cute on this 3rd pick just get the best talent at the 3rd spot and pay the man.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 05:45 PM)
John Manuel ‏@johnmanuelba 39s

Hearing more Aaron Nola than Tyler Kolek at 3 to CWS at this time, change from previous mocks #mlbdraft

from Secaucus, NJ

Expand

This all changes if Aiken doesn't go 1.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 05:44 PM)
Yes because of the slotted system, Sox do not need to get too cute on this 3rd pick just get the best talent at the 3rd spot and pay the man.

Sure. The problem is there is no clear cut guy, there are 4-5 guys that you could serious consider drafting at the third spot. So if you have 5 guys with the same grades, which do you pick? Probably the guy that cuts you the best deal.