Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
If Aiken and Rodon are off the board do you prefer Kolek, Nola or Jackson? I'd probably go with Jackson at that point. The highest rated position player in any given draft is almost always at least a MLB player.

I'd be fine with Jackson but I think we'll pass on him and take a pitcher. I'd like him over Nola for sure. I would probably prefer Kolek though just because I think we really suck at developing hitters, and we'd probably screw him up and turn him into a late bloomer at best. I think taking Jackson is a great pick though.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
If you can get a potential ace for $5M you take the chance over a "sure" #2-3.

I'd take a number 2 pitcher in a heartbeat and I'm sure most, if not all, teams would agree. Even drafting at #3, it's still a crapshoot. Look at the draft's history. What's a pitcher like Quintana worth on the open market versus the number #3 pick?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
If you can get a potential ace for $5M you take the chance over a "sure" #2-3.

Would you want a 10% shot at drafting and developing an ace or a 80% shot at drafting a #3?

I'm those types of conversations are occurring in war rooms right now, possibly ours.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
So why? His main draw his his polish and "knowing how to pitch". Good 93-94 fastball, tops out at 97. 4 pitches for strikes.

Just because he is 3 inches taller? Lefty? What is the reason why Nola is trash in your book but Aiken is a high reward guy?

I'm not fond of Nola's arm slot, not a stretch to see him having trouble getting lefties out.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
So why? His main draw his his polish and "knowing how to pitch". Good 93-94 fastball, tops out at 97. 4 pitches for strikes.

Just because he is 3 inches taller? Lefty? What is the reason why Nola is trash in your book but Aiken is a high reward guy?

Better fastball, better secondary stuff, left-handed, and the greatest pitching coach in the world says that he's the best pitcher in the draft. Generally lefties with the same stuff as righties have higher ceilings. Q as a RHSP isn't the same thing, neither is Danks for that matter. Aiken has more ability than either of those guys. Also having Sale, Q, and Danks here to help him along would put him ahead of the curve.

Also I never said Nola is trash. If we had a pick in the middle range I'd be with everyone else in hoping he fell to us. I don't want him at #3.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Yes...you put him in the OF and let him swing away. That's what your drafting him for.

Haha the fact we answered simultaneously completely opposite of each other should tell everyone what type of draft this is going to be. Wacky

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Would you want a 10% shot at drafting and developing an ace or a 80% shot at drafting a #3?

I'm those types of conversations are occurring in war rooms right now, possible ours.

Get me an ace. A moneyed team like the Sox can buy a #3

I still wonder what Buddy holds over everyone to remain employed in baseball.

When he managed, with every organization he managed, the team was better the year before and the year after he managed them than they were when he managed them. And his comments about some of the stiffs currently in the White Sox system lead me to believe he must be a volunteer they just don't have the heart to tell him to go take a walk.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
Haha the fact we answered simultaneously completely opposite of each other should tell everyone what type of draft this is going to be. Wacky

Yep for sure...it depends on what teams value as far as price and all around playing ability. Jackson you just want him to hit the crap out of the ball and anything you get from him defensively is a bonus.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 08:56 PM)
No. There is talk of Conforto or the Indiana kid being the first hitter drafted above Jackson.

Money may be the bigger factor than talent in this happening though. Rumors that Jackson wants a lot of money and may slide to the back end of the top 10.

The one thing everyone is forgetting is, what are the plans in the rebuilding for next yr

and are we going to venture into the FA market..... only JR, Hahn, and to a degree KW

knows that answer.

With that answer, you will then know how the Sox will draft at #3 tonite.

However don't let this stop the great exchange on info..... I learned at lot esp in the

aspect of pitching and the development of their stuff.

with that, Nola at #3 for the savings.

I wish would be Kolek would be picked.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
No. There is talk of Conforto or the Indiana kid being the first hitter drafted above Jackson.

The only reason they are being talked about above Jackson though is because the Cubs want someone they can make a deal with and that has a relatively low floor. Jackson is the consensus top bat in the class, but odds are he is not offering any discounts.

Money may be the bigger factor than talent in this happening though. Rumors that Jackson wants a lot of money and may slide to the back end of the top 10.

It seems to me that with the new slot system, leaking word that you are looking for a big payday is a surefire way to slide right down the draft board. It's not like you can demand #1 money at the #5 pick anymore. The best way to get drafted as high as possible is to make yourself seem as signable as possible.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
The only reason they are being talked about above Jackson though is because the Cubs want someone they can make a deal with and that has a relatively low floor. Jackson is the consensus top bat in the class, but odds are he is not offering any discounts.

Right, talent wise it's Jackson > the rest of the position players. I've seen his bat compared to Harper, maybe not quite the raw power, but similar players and similar tools.

I think Nola is the safe pick at 3, but is anyone concerned with his durability? He's not a real big guy (Chris Sale is at least tall, Nola's 6'1) and his arm angle and mechanics seem iffy to me.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
I think Nola is the safe pick at 3, but is anyone concerned with his durability? He's not a real big guy (Chris Sale is at least tall, Nola's 6'1) and his arm angle and mechanics seem iffy to me.

Screw the "safe" pick we need another ace to pair with Sale, if the Sox can get an ace there they have to try imo. You get two aces, suddenly playoff series' become a lot more winnable.

Rick (Philadelphia): Any chance of Kolek making it to #7 for the Phils?

John Manuel: Sorry for the delay, had a phone call to take. Anything could happen with Kolek; heck, it wouldn’t totally shock me if he went 1-1. He’s such an outlier I would believe anything. Our best info at this point is the White Sox prefer him at 3. But the Aaron Nola rumors will not go away, and that could send Kolek down to 7.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/baseb...a-draft-chat-2/

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 03:07 PM)
It seems to me that with the new slot system, leaking word that you are looking for a big payday is a surefire way to slide right down the draft board. It's not like you can demand #1 money at the #5 pick anymore. The best way to get drafted as high as possible is to make yourself seem as signable as possible.

Or, its the best way to dictate the team that takes you. "Teams 1-5, my demands are $7M" and then secretly to team 6 "I'll sign for slot".