Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm warming on Nola. It makes sense and he could - it seems - be a call up in September this year or contribute in 2015. He's right handed and slots nicely between Sale and Jose.

I'll also be happy with Kolek and hope to see him in late 2016.

Then we have the pipe dreams of Aiken falling to us or Rodon.

Sure am glad it's not my ass on the line with this pick - because it's a tough one.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/06/draf...medium=facebook

White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper says that he likes all four of the arms rated most highly by the team, including the three mentioned above along with Aaron Nola, but prefers Aiken, reports Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com. “I liked them all,” said Cooper. “I liked the kid Aiken maybe the best. But a high school kid, that’s going to be a little longer. The closest to the big leagues Rodon and the second closest was Nola. It’s hard not to like the stuff coming out of the hand of Kolek. Those high school kids, there’s work to be done there.”

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
Today is only the first round, correct?

Are there any second round projections? I suppose I could just read a mock draft list and see who the 30 or so players are that start the rankings around 35.

Two rounds today, muthaf***a!

Actually three if you count the supp round.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)

Are there any second round projections? I suppose I could just read a mock draft list and see who the 30 or so players are that start the rankings around 35.

Tonight (6pm CT) is rounds 1 and 2, and the supplementals. Rounds 3-10 are Friday starting at noon, 11-40 Saturday at noon, all times Central.

1st and 2nd today. 3-10 tmrw. 11-40 on Sat.

We make our second pick tonight too

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
My order of preference (would probably put Jackson in there but sounds like we're really locked into a pitcher):

Aiken

Rodon

Nola

Kolek

I kinda want Jackson. Assuming Anderson doesn't play at SS and is moved to the outfield we could have one of the best outfields in baseball in 4-5 years with Anderson/Jackson/Garcia.

That said, I think for sure the Sox take one of the big 3 pitchers.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
We make our second pick tonight too

OK, thanks for the clarification.

I think it is a safe assumption that the Sox are getting a high-end player with their first pick. I am honestly more interested in their strategy for the second round and later...

Jack (Chicago)

Hi Keith, just read your mock and was disappointing in the White Sox. Is this back to the lower ceiling Kenny Williams days for the draft on Nola or am I missing something. I thought I remember you saying he might move to closer as well. Thanks

Klaw (1:45 PM)

Don't recall ever saying he'd move to closer. I don't understand why you'd be disappointed in them taking a close to major-league ready starter.

Ultimately, if we draft Rodon, he'll end up signing with us for a little over slot value, IMO. He just doesn't have the leverage players used to have. He's already seen his stock drop over the course of a year, and even if he went back for his senior year and DIDN'T decline and DID stay healthy, he'd be re-entering the draft with less leverage than before since he'll be a senior.

If they like Rodon the best, they should take him.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
Aiken

Kolek/Rodon: Kolek much easier sign probably, Rodon quick mover but Borass might play games with us

Jackson

As has been said -- what "games" is Boras gonna play? He is hand cuffed under the new CBA. See last year, when Appel was taken #1 overall and Boras couldn't do anything to get him overslot:

http://mlb.si.com/2013/06/20/mark-appel-as...top-pick-signs/

The worst thing that could happen with Rodon is he signs for like 5% over bonus. I don't think that's going to deter the Sox from taking him if he's a clear #1 on their board at that pick.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
Ultimately, if we draft Rodon, he'll end up signing with us for a little over slot value, IMO. He just doesn't have the leverage players used to have. He's already seen his stock drop over the course of a year, and even if he went back for his senior year and DIDN'T decline and DID stay healthy, he'd be re-entering the draft with less leverage than before since he'll be a senior.

If they like Rodon the best, they should take him.

+1, I just posted pretty much the same scenario.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
As has been said -- what "games" is Boras gonna play? He is hand cuffed under the new CBA. See last year, when Appel was taken #1 overall and Boras couldn't do anything to get him overslot:

http://mlb.si.com/2013/06/20/mark-appel-as...top-pick-signs/

The worst thing that could happen with Rodon is he signs for like 5% over bonus. I don't think that's going to deter the Sox from taking him if he's a clear #1 on their board at that pick.

Could he hold his guy out a year and pitch in an independent league?