Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
2 predictions that are locks:

Whoever the Sox select first, it will be the player they have been targeting all along, and they will be in disbelief that the player they select with their second choice slipped to them.

And the one thing I will be skipping tonight when watching the draft is Bud announcing the Dodgers and Angels picks. His pronounciation of Los Angeleese is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

You forgot the other lock: Soxtalk will immediately crash due to the overwhelming response that the Sox have doomed the franchise with this obviously blown pick. And that KW should not have over ruled RH and picked the player.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
I'd be happy with any of the 4 guys speculated. I'm rather high on Nola. I know the draft is about projection, but I like production. 12-1 with a 1.57 ERA in the SEC??? Uh ya, I'd have no problem with that.

The production put up by the high school kids is nice, but what was the level of competition there?

I'm not saying I have Nola at the top of my list but I wouldn't question the pick one bit.

Nola's numbers are what confuses me when some say we have to take Rodon if he's there but say no to Nola. Nola does have better college numbers than Rodon, though I realize you can't hinge everything on numbers alone. IMO, Rodon has been over-hyped.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
Baseball Hall ‏@BaseballHall 12m

No player selected with the overall No. 1 pick since the start of the #MLBDraft in 1965 has earned #HOF election.

Pretty misleading stay when it rules out anyone from like 1990 on.

Edit: or Griffey in 1987.

We've had Griffey, Arod, and Chipper since then.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
Using extreme examples to illustrate a point doesn't make it less valid. This is the internet, extreme examples are commonplace.

Also, telling a kid who's used to throwing with max effort to not throw harder isn't easy. A lot of pitchers can't maintain their control when they ease back. It's like trying to ride a bike slow. It's hard to stay upright.

Doesn't mean it's right. I think we can agree that most of these players in the draft will not perform at a HOF level during there career. So the example isn't very realistic.

I disagree about teaching the pitching aspect. Pitchers have poorer control when they try to over throw. If you have them back off the control improves. It's not a given that everyone can do it but most can.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
Doesn't mean it's right. I think we can agree that most of these players in the draft will not perform at a HOF level during there career. So the example isn't very realistic.

I disagree about teaching the pitching aspect. Pitchers have poorer control when they try to over throw. If you have them back off the control improves. It's not a given that everyone can do it but most can.

Seems like one of those things that the Sox seem to be better at teaching than most as well. Even though he's a high schooler, Kolek seems like the perfect guy for the Sox coaches to get a hand on.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/sec...salute-to-nola/

Yes, he maintained 92-94 into the 8th inning according to Baseball America's Aaron Fitt. Also touched 96 early, but was probably just the adrenaline.

He also pitches on 7 days rest. That was something Mike Ferrin pointed out about college velocity at one point.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
Seems like one of those things that the Sox seem to be better at teaching than most as well. Even though he's a high schooler, Kolek seems like the perfect guy for the Sox coaches to get a hand on.

If they have moved past him, that should tell us that the Sox coaching staff doesn't agree.

Here's something interesting to consider with the draft... are there any family members of the front office or team in the draft? Casey Gillaspie is a late 1st-rounder so he's not a favor pick. Any obscure HS or college players we'll take in the lower rounds that are sons of people? Just curious if anyone knows.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
Baseball Hall ‏@BaseballHall 12m

No player selected with the overall No. 1 pick since the start of the #MLBDraft in 1965 has earned #HOF election.

Griffey will break that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
Here's something interesting to consider with the draft... are there any family members of the front office or team in the draft? Casey Gillaspie is a late 1st-rounder so he's not a favor pick. Any obscure HS or college players we'll take in the lower rounds that are sons of people? Just curious if anyone knows.

Kenny Williams' cousin's son twice removed on his mom's side is a 5-10" 160lb prospect outta San Poly Prep he's batting 200/230/330 against high schoolers but KW promises he's get high upside potential. Possible 40th round pick.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
I will watch it tonight, but really MLB network doesn't keep things all that interesting to me. They will probably have Harold Reynolds on again, who I like during the major league games, but he knows less about these prospects than 90% of this board.

You mean Gordon Beckham isn't going to be a Hall of Famer?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)

The fact that he hasn't been going crazy with the breaking balls is a good sign as well. He throws a slide and a curve that both flash plus, so the ability is there, make sure you get him throwing those things on op of the ball and doing it the right way, while focusing on control. You might have a guy that has it "click" for him in the next year and a half or so, and at that point he'll have nothing to prove in the minors. Just because he's a high schooler doesn't mean he's 4-5 years away and just because he throws hard doesn't mean he's a ticking time bomb either.

I'd love for arguably the best pure arm in the draft to fall to #3 with the Sox taking full advantage. If you're not afraid to take Sale or Danish then you shouldn't be afraid to take Kolek. In this draft there are 3 potential true aces at the top and the Sox are fortunate to be in position to get at least one of them. They should do that.

I'm so glad Hoffman is out of the question. Last thing we need is a righty with good velo, control problems, and no track record of success in a non-elite college conference. Aaron Nola is and was an infinitely better choice.

For me, Rodon - Kolek - Nola - Aiken. I'm pretty cool with any of them at this point.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
Kenny Williams' cousin's son twice removed on his mom's side is a 5-10" 160lb prospect outta San Poly Prep he's batting 200/230/330 against high schoolers but KW promises he's get high upside potential. Possible 40th round pick.

super original