Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
It was more like 25-40. Which, given how long they were dragging that thing out last night, was PLENTY of time.

Good man! Glad to hear your priorities are in order. You can always DVR the draft, but you cannot DVR a good shagg.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Longenecker of BA's top 10 BPA:

No. 33 Jacob Bukauskas, rhp, Stone Bridge HS, Ashburn, Va.

Bukauskas is one of the hardest-throwing prep pitchers in the draft–sitting 93-96 mph, touching 98 at his best–in a class known for its velocity. He sent a letter to teams late in May asking them not to draft him because of his commitment to North Carolina. If Bukauskas gets drafted at this point, it likely won’t be until after the 10th round, when his selection would not put a portion of a team’s bonus pool at risk.

No. 45 Michael Cederoth, rhp, San Diego State

Cederoth is the highest-ranked college player left on the board. He has premium stuff, with a fastball that can sit 94-97 mph and touch 100. His role has changed from reliever to starter, then back to the pen, where he probably fits long-term. His control (4.9 walks per nine) remains an issue.

No. 48 Milton Ramos, ss, American Heritage HS, Hialeah Gardens, Fla.

Ramos is the premier defensive shortstop in a class that’s short on true up-the-middle profiles. He has plus speed, has drawn comparisons to Alcides Escobar and is committed to Florida International.

No. 53 Carson Sands, lhp, North Florida Christian HS, Tallahassee, Fla.

Sands, a Florida State commit, improved significantly as a senior, showing increased velocity, feel for pitching and two offspeed pitches that show at least average potential. After sitting 90-92 mph and touching 95 down the stretch, he showed reduced velocity in his final appearance of the spring at the Florida high school all-star event in Sebring, at 88-91 mph.

No. 57 Mac Marshall, lhp, Parkview HS, Lilburn, Ga.

Marshall, who has a curveball and changeup that show above-average potential, showed reduced velocity toward the end of the season, sitting in the high 80s and touching 91-92 mph in some starts. He is considered a tough sign away from his Louisiana State commitment.

No. 59 Matthew Railey, of, North Florida Christian HS, Tallahassee, Fla.

Railey offers a pure lefthanded stroke, natural hitting ability and at least average power potential. Although he is a plus runner in the 60, some expect him to move to a corner outfield spot, and his below-average arm will play better in left. He is committed to Florida State.

No. 61 Brett Graves, rhp, Missouri

The second-highest-ranked college player left on the board, Graves is an athletic strike-thrower (1.8 walks per nine) with a fastball that sits in the low 90s with life, touching 95, and a curveball that shows above-average potential.

No. 62 Jakson Reetz, c, Norris HS, Firth, Neb.

Reetz is the top-ranked prep catcher remaining, in a deep position for this draft. The Nebraska commit has a high-intensity game with hitting ability, athleticism and an above-average arm behind the plate.

No. 63 Josh Morgan, ss, Orange (Calif.) Lutheran HS

The UCLA commit is an instinctive player with passion for the game and a chance to remain at shortstop, with smooth actions and soft hands. He has a contact-oriented righthanded stroke with a chance to hit, while offering average or slightly better speed and arm strength.

No. 66 Chris Oliver, rhp, Arkansas

Oliver has some of the best velocity from the college ranks, sitting 93-95 mph and touching 97 with downhill plane. His slider shows plus potential. His statistical performance has not matched his raw ability in his first year as a starter, as he struck out 5.7 per nine with a 1.6 strikeout-walk ratio.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
BA on Diaz:

"He pitches with a below-average fastball that he must command to succeed, sitting in the 86-89 mph range and tickling 90"

I don't like the sound of that personally.

Hmm, MLB says it sits around 90mph with heavy sink & he's aggressive with it and throws strikes. MLB says 3 pitches with that have a chance to be at least average.

That's the thing about these guys, who really knows? There's always conflicting information out there. As long as the Sox know what they're looking at, that's all that matters.

A reliever in general is a great pick here if he's a quick mover, especially if he's underslot, but whoever it is I am hoping for a lefty. I really like Putnam, Petricka, Webb, and Belisario who we also control. Guerra has a nice arm too, we would control him should he develop a bit more from where he is now. And of course we're getting Jones back. Right now we have a lot of depth from the right side.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
Chris Longenecker of BA's top 10 BPA:

This sounds like us.

No. 61 Brett Graves, rhp, Missouri

The second-highest-ranked college player left on the board, Graves is an athletic strike-thrower (1.8 walks per nine) with a fastball that sits in the low 90s with life, touching 95, and a curveball that shows above-average potential.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
A reliever in general is a great pick here if he's a quick mover, especially if he's underslot, but whoever it is I am hoping for a lefty. I really like Putnam, Petricka, Webb, and Belisario who we also control. Guerra has a nice arm too, we would control him should he develop a bit more from where he is now. And of course we're getting Jones back. Right now we have a lot of depth from the right side.

Sounds like Sands if your pick then. If he fails at a starter, he'll probably get closer to that "touches 95" consistently as a reliever.

Kiley McDaniel's analysis is up and free:

3. White Sox - Carlos Rodon

This one was expected if Rodon didn't go 2nd, as I explained in today's mock draft. I had Rodon 2nd on my board and the pre-draft buzz was he'd want full slot if he went here and possibly more, so I'll project a couple ticks above slot and the biggest bonus thus far. Here is Rodon's free scouting report and video.

Draft Pick Allotment: $5.72 million

Projected Bonus: $6.10 million

Worth a read there's lots of general thoughts in there, including thoughts on the Cubs' strategy:

The Cubs went underslot with their first two picks and I know they wanted a shot at Jack Flaherty, but he went before their 2nd pick, so they're sure to take some shots at overslot guys tomorrow and in day three. I know they'd like some pitching to balance out the system, so here's some names for Cubs fans to look out for as high ceiling overslot arms still on the board: Zech Lemond, Austin DeCarr, Carson Sands, Dylan Cease, Michael Cederoth, Bryce Montes De Oca and Pat Connaughton.

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1409043.html

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
Sounds like Sands if your pick then. If he fails at a starter, he'll probably get closer to that "touches 95" consistently as a reliever.

Yeah but a kid like that I don't even think about as a reliever.

Sands 3rd round, Diaz 4th if he's still there & he's more of the MLB write up than the BA one.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
Yeah but a kid like that I don't even think about as a reliever.

No, but if you end up with a starter instead, go sign the reliever. It's like you said about the availability of mid-rotation guys, but even easier.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
No, but if you end up with a starter instead, go sign the reliever. It's like you said about the availability of mid-rotation guys, but even easier.

Exactly. Reliever must be the easiest position to acquire/develop and has the lowest potential value. I'd be hard pressed to take a reliever in the top 5 rounds.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
After reading up, I really highly doubt sox go anything other than college senior next few rounds.

This is true. We should all probably temper our expectations for today -- we just drafted TWO overslot guys yesterday, so it's not likely we're going to be able to fit any more in.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
This is true. We should all probably temper our expectations for today -- we just drafted TWO overslot guys yesterday, so it's not likely we're going to be able to fit any more in.

If we do draft that HS Catcher though, we may as well start entering our names in the draft because there will be nothing left.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
Exactly. Reliever must be the easiest position to acquire/develop and has the lowest potential value. I'd be hard pressed to take a reliever in the top 5 rounds.

Ring was the centerpiece for acquiring a hall of famer and Reed was plenty valuable for us before being shipped off for a top prospect. Small sample sizes and all that but they both worked out. Trying to think of anymore high reliever picks we made. Anyways, relievers can move quickly and be more of a sure thing. I'm all for it for now on.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)

Is there any indication that Adams will be an overslot guy? We can probably assume so based on his ranking vs. draft position, but anyone seen a rumored demand? Merkin tweeted that the Sox are not worried about his signability. I'm not sure if that means they think he's going to sign for slot or if they're just confident about getting it done.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)

That's kind of our MO though if you look at our draft history. And with 2 guys who may need overslot $$ it is an absolutely excellent move to take a RP 3rd round IF you think he's a fast mover & helps your pen sooner than later.

We're at the point of the draft now where IMO you target 1 of 2 things with each pick: big upside that needs a lot of work OR guys that you think are going to be valuable Major League contributors, sooner rather than later. So it's ceiling + work vs. polish + floor, and you do this because we're well into the hit-or-miss stage where most of these guys we take are never going to see the big leagues unless they buy a ticket.

As much as I hated the idea of Nola at 3, this is the point where I love the overachiever type, clean mechanics, contact in hitters, etc.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
Is there any indication that Adams will be an overslot guy? We can probably assume so based on his ranking vs. draft position, but anyone seen a rumored demand? Merkin tweeted that the Sox are not worried about his signability. I'm not sure if that means they think he's going to sign for slot or if they're just confident about getting it done.

I think it's fair to assume that anyone who was pegged as being in a range of lower third first round slot money would request a greater amount than the slot at #44. These kids need to look out for themselves, that's why they're paying their agents/advisors whatever you call them. He should definitely ask for more money, I would, you would, we all would.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion