Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 4m

Nick Hostetler told me Adams was one of three good names CWS were looking at for No. 44. Adams was at the top of those three

White Sox feel as if they got a first round talent in Adams in the second round

Adams, of course, is far more removed from the big leagues in comparison to Rodon. Typical high school pitcher path to Majors

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:57 PM)
Not trying to hate but does anybody know what the hell the Cubs are doing?

I just kind of assumed with their first pick they were saving money to distribute through the draft but then they took a guy who definitely appears to be an underslot college arm in the 2nd which makes no sense because it isn't like there are so many elite players falling that they will be able to grab top talent throughout rounds 3-10.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:01 PM)
OK, so who do you want at 77 tomorrow? If you actually have an opinion at this stage.

Reetz if they can sign him. Would love to get a bat in the system.

EDIT: I'm assuming Dylan Cease isn't signable at this point anyway.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:47 PM)
I heard it was a 50% chance we sign both of them, so I didn't know how to take that.

If you don't sign him, you lose the slotted amount in the pool. That would leave the Sox pretty bare. They will sign him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:58 PM)
No, but of course Jason Parks is all over their nuts saying he loves every pick and what not. So dumb.

Yeah, I like Jason Parks and I really enjoy the Fringe Average podcasts, but man, he is constantly ALL OVER the Cubs and their prospects. No idea if he is a fan of theirs or not, but every damn podcast he brings up how great Baez and Bryant are.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:01 PM)
OK, so who do you want at 77 tomorrow? If you actually have an opinion at this stage.

It is really tough to say without knowing how much money they have to play with and what guys they think they can sign. I expect we see a decent amount of college players taken in rounds 3-10 though.

BA: Rated #9 RHP in the draft. (Ahead of Luke Weaver, Jack Flaherty, Michael Kopech)

Spencer Adams, White County HS, Cleveland, Ga.

Spencer Adams

Adams is one of the best athletes among the pitchers in this draft, a standout basketball player who has an impressive highlight reel of in-game dunks. The quick-armed Adams has been on an upward trajectory since getting off the hardwood, with his velocity steadily increasing. In a late spring start he sat 93-95 mph, touching 96 with plus fastball life, sink and bat-breaking potential at its best. He has a four-pitch mix, and his mid-80s slider is a true out pitch with at least plus potential. His feel for the changeup has not been there consistently, but it shows at least above-average potential. Although he has some effort in his cross-body delivery and tends to spin off toward first base, Adams is a natural strike-thrower with a chance for above-average control. He can pitch to either part of the plate in the lower half of the zone. At 6-foot-3, 171 pounds, he’s long, loose and lean and offers physical projection, though his frame is somewhat narrow. He is committed to Georgia.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:54 PM)

Nick Hostetler told me Adams was one of three good names CWS were looking at for No. 44. Adams was at the top of those three

White Sox feel as if they got a first round talent in Adams in the second round

Adams, of course, is far more removed from the big leagues in comparison to Rodon. Typical high school pitcher path to Majors

I would say this is all accurate. They were shocked.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)
You guys.....we are 2 picks away from possibly stealing Jakson Reetz in the 3rd RD.

Quinarvy and I would probably cry with joy if that happens.

add me to that list

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:59 PM)
I just kind of assumed with their first pick they were saving money to distribute through the draft but then they took a guy who definitely appears to be an underslot college arm in the 2nd which makes no sense because it isn't like there are so many elite players falling that they will be able to grab top talent throughout rounds 3-10.

Yeah so did I. I assumed they'd lock up a true signability risk at #45 but Stinnett is ranked BA #24 RHP and has a mid-reliever ceiling?!