Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:06 PM)
Did not expect us to pick another guy who is going to want overslot. This is amazing if we sign them both, but it makes me think we must be going way off the board in later picks.

That is ok because later picks are crapshoots anyway.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)
Marc Hulet ‏@marchulet 12m

Not loving the delivery from #whitesox pick Spencer Adams based on http://mlb.com video #MLBDraft

Is he related to Tim Hulet? Oops, definitely not....it's Hulett (former White Sox infielder).

“We were surprised,” Laumann said. “We had pretty good information throughout the process here, especially the last couple of days, it sounded like he was going to be gone. Sometimes these things go sideways for one way or another, and I think we found out right after the first pick and leading to the second pick.

“We watched the progression over several years and thought he was the consensus best guy on the board.”

Thought to be the most polished pitcher in the draft, Rodon is believed to be the player who could reach the major leagues the fastest. Armed with a good slider/fastball combination, one American League scout called Rodon “one of the top 10 pitchers on the planet” in the spring.

White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper said Wednesday he liked all four of the pitchers the club was looking at.

“The closest to the big leagues is Rodon,” Cooper said.

Some around the White Sox have suggested Rodon could pitch in the majors as a reliever later this season the same way Chris Sale did after he was drafted in 2010. While Laumann said it’s unfair to put Rodon on “the Sale track,” it is feasible the 21-year-old could pitch in Chicago in 2014.

“With the type of fastball and slider he has, certainly could be a guy is on a so-called fast track,” Laumann said. “The most important thing is we get start on getting him comfortable with the organization.”

www.csnchicago.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:08 PM)
That's fine with me if they get the top 2 signed

Yep. If you go through past drafts it is very rare to get a really good player after the first couple of rounds anyways. Give me the two elite talents and then just hope to get lucky with some of the other picks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 04:10 AM)
I will be stunned if Hawkins is above Anderson. All the "experts" seem to love Anderson.

Those two are fairly interchangable for me, but I like Hawkins' bat just a little more at this point. If Anderson was walking maybe it would be different.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:11 PM)
So what are the rules after Round 10? Is it back to the Wild West like under the old CBA, draft whoever you want wherever, throw all kinds of money at them? The slots go away but are there max amounts you can offer?

Anything over $100k counts against your pool.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 07:44 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 9m

Scouting director Doug Laumann said Carlos Rodon "pretty much was consensus guy we had targeted since his sophomore season."

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 9m

Laumann" "He was consensus best guy on the board"

JJ Cooper ‏@jjcoop36 1h

Teams were worried about Rodon's back which has given him problems, but at his best, he's the best player in this draft.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 5m

Laumann on Rodon signability: "personaly I don't (have concerns). Rick and Scott Boras have fairly good relationship.''

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 4m

Doug Laumann said he would be surprised if the CWS don't get Rodon in the fold

From that awful follow through

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:11 PM)
So what are the rules after Round 10? Is it back to the Wild West like under the old CBA, draft whoever you want wherever, throw all kinds of money at them? The slots go away but are there max amounts you can offer?

Any pick over $100,000.00 counts against pool. Many teams though, draft some college seniors in the top 10 rounds for really cheap so that they can overdraft after round 10 using the pool money.