Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Hey, TUC.

I know you were a big supporter of Kolek ( me too), just curious what your thoughts are about Rodon.

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Our best first round draft choice since Sale. Seriously there can not be any Sox fan who is upset about this at all. It would be impossible, literally.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Hey, TUC.

I know you were a big supporter of Kolek ( me too), just curious what your thoughts are about Rodon.

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

He wants to make baseball babies with him.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
Thoughts on Michael Cederoth for the upcoming pick?

Not crazy about taking a reliever, mostly because it seems that what the system is full of at this point. Would prefer someone with a better shot at starting or a position player with a solid hit tool.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
Any of the ESPN Insider articles have anything regarding the Sox first day? What about the Cubs? No idea what they are doing unless they grab Bakauskus/Nix today.

This was the analysis of the Sox pick:

The presumed No. 1 selection since April of his sophomore year, Rodon's inconsistent season and concerns about his high workload saw him fall from that status -- but not very far. He's still got one of the best sliders I've seen from a southpaw, and he'll touch 97 with his fastball. If the fastball command improves, he could be a member of the White Sox rotation late in 2015, and summer 2016 is very likely. There's as much boom and bust in this lefty as in any we've seen in a long, long time.

On the Cubs, they are echoing the WTF? sentiment.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
Our best first round draft choice since Sale. Seriously there can not be any Sox fan who is upset about this at all. It would be impossible, literally.

Rodon wasn't by any means my first choice, more like 3rd or 4th, that said I'm happy as hell we have him so I definitely agree with you. Hoping the Sox give Rodon a shot at taking a similar path as Sale, if he takes a bit longer that would be fine.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
He wants to make baseball babies with him.

Awe sheeiiit. So we can expect to see the offspring somewhere around the 2032 draft?

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
Rodon wasn't by any means my first choice, more like 3rd or 4th, that said I'm happy as hell we have him so I definitely agree with you. Hoping the Sox give Rodon a shot at taking a similar path as Sale, if he takes a bit longer that would be fine.

Awe sheeiiit. So we can expect to see the offspring somewhere around the 2032 draft?

Little Wite-Rodons.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
I don't really want to see Rodon on the big league roster this year. Give him a few minor league innings at Kanny and Winston Salem. I could see him starting next year at Birmingham and moving quick though. Is that unrealistic?

I think "starting arbitration this year" is more of a negotiation tactic I'd be fine with Sox using.

No, I don't see a reason to rush. But oh man am I excited for Coop to get working on Rodon.

Okay so I like that Chris Diaz kid a lot, but in case we're not in on him at 3rd or 4th is there anyone else out there like that? I mean, potential quality, realitively quick moving LH reliever with upside to start, especially with fastball command and sink? There are a lot of arms it seems that are more projectable and more Holmbergish and so on, but I'd really like to get someone from the left side in the pen here pretty soon. Scott Downs is completely horrible and it doesn't look like there's much behind him since Leesman and Veal bombed. Then there's that guy we got from the Rays but he was here 1 whole day and didn't pitch, and given how abysmal our pen has been at times, I think that probably says a lot about what our FO thinks of his prospects as an MLB reliever.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
Okay so I like that Chris Diaz kid a lot, but in case we're not in on him at 3rd or 4th is there anyone else out there like that? I mean, potential quality, realitively quick moving LH reliever with upside to start, especially with fastball command and sink? There are a lot of arms it seems that are more projectable and more Holmbergish and so on, but I'd really like to get someone from the left side in the pen here pretty soon. Scott Downs is completely horrible and it doesn't look like there's much behind him since Leesman and Veal bombed. Then there's that guy we got from the Rays but he was here 1 whole day and didn't pitch, and given how abysmal our pen has been at times, I think that probably says a lot about what our FO thinks of his prospects as an MLB reliever.

BA on Diaz:

"He pitches with a below-average fastball that he must command to succeed, sitting in the 86-89 mph range and tickling 90"

I don't like the sound of that personally.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
I think "starting arbitration this year" is more of a negotiation tactic I'd be fine with Sox using.

No, I don't see a reason to rush. But oh man am I excited for Coop to get working on Rodon.

The Coop factor is a big thing for us too. Ptatc doesn't care much for the follow through, and maybe there are other things too. I'd much rather have Coop and Hermie right there watching him and providing instruction than in the minors somewhere even though the coaching there seems solid at worst. And of course the LH help in the pen right now would be a huge lift for those who think we can contend (I kind of hope we don't, or at least if we do we don't make backwards moves). As it is when Scott Downs comes in I immediately think he's gonna get pulled, and on the radio they always say "send him to the showers" when that happens and in Downs' case that's perfectly fitting because he stinks. When Robin calls Downs in from the pen he shouldn't point to the pen he should point to the nearest dumpster and Downs should pop his head out & drop his bedroll and run out to the mound.