Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 07:51 AM)
At least one catcher left pro ball, IIRC. Of the other two, one is on the Kanny DL and has not played this year (Fisher) and the other (Ayala) is still in Advanced ST. If you have optimism here, please share it. Maybe Fisher and Ayala are both slated to play Rookie Ball this year, not exactly a lot of info to go on.

It is two years post draft, and two of them were HS catchers. Not at lot of info is kind of the point of why it is extremely premature to be punting on a draft.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weisenberg sounds like he might be our best available pitcher but I bet he's an overslot type. If we're looking for an underslot guy I definitely like the fit of Chris Diaz if he's an option.

It's rare for a top high school right-hander out of Florida to be described as projectable, but it's a label that fits Weisenberg well. He has already seen his velocity jump in the past year, and scouts think he can make more gains, thanks to his long, lanky frame. Weisenberg's fastball now sits in the low 90s and can touch 95 mph, with good life. He has also made strides with his slider and shows an improving feel for his changeup. He repeats his easy delivery well and throws a lot of strikes as a result. Weisenberg earns praise for his makeup and intelligence.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
It is two years post draft, and two of them were HS catchers. Not at lot of info is kind of the point of why it is extremely premature to be punting on a draft.

Agree but in general I don't like drafting these guys and trying to devleop them. It's such difficult position to learn, and I'd much rather just let another team develop these players for me & then trade for them or sign them. Maybe later in the draft we take one.

Hahn should keep focusing on pitching. Sox pitching prospects actually turn out once in a while.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
Weisenberg sounds like he might be our best available pitcher but I bet he's an overslot type. If we're looking for an underslot guy I definitely like the fit of Chris Diaz if he's an option.

It's rare for a top high school right-hander out of Florida to be described as projectable, but it's a label that fits Weisenberg well. He has already seen his velocity jump in the past year, and scouts think he can make more gains, thanks to his long, lanky frame. Weisenberg's fastball now sits in the low 90s and can touch 95 mph, with good life. He has also made strides with his slider and shows an improving feel for his changeup. He repeats his easy delivery well and throws a lot of strikes as a result. Weisenberg earns praise for his makeup and intelligence.

From Kiley McDaniel:

109. Weisenberg, 163. Carter & 240. Summerville - Three Stanford commits that should get to campus like over 95% of Stanford commits from the last 10 years. All three have either asked scouts not to draft them (Carter) or set numbers at or over $1 million that almost certainly won't get met (Weisenberg & Summerville). I assume another ranked Cardinal commit, #248 Colton Hock, won't be an easy sign either, but I haven't heard that specifically

I like Jeren Kendall for this pick:

A Wisconsin high school position player hasn't been selected in the top 100 picks since the Twins took Scott Servais in the second round of the 1985 Draft. After starring at the Area Code Games in August, Kendall could end that drought. Kendall's best tool is his plus-plus speed. It serves him well on the bases and in center field, where he has a better arm than most at the position. The Vanderbilt recruit has a short left-handed stroke that allows him to make contact, though scouts would like to see him use his lower half more in his swing. He won't hit for a lot of power but does have more than might be expected from someone with his small frame. He'd be better served, however, by hitting more balls on the ground to take advantage of his wheels.

Or John Curtiss:

6'4" 205lbs DOB: 04/05/93 | Scouting video

Curtiss could have been a third-round pick out of a Texas high school in 2011 had he been willing to turn pro, but he was set on becoming a Longhorn. The most highly regarded arm in a deep Texas recruiting class, he had Tommy John surgery after his freshman season and missed all of 2013, when he also had a rib removed to alleviate thoracic outlet syndrome. He has come back strong as a closer as a redshirt sophomore this spring and should return to starting again in 2015. Curtiss has regained the velocity on his fastball, which sits at 92-94 mph and peaks at 96, and he uses his 6-foot-5 frame to throw his heater on a steep downhill plane. He still can run his slider up into the 80s, though it can get slurvy and he battles his command with it. Pitchers who have their elbows reconstructed often need time to get back their consistency and command of their secondary pitches, so his slider should get better. Because he's working in relief, Curtiss hasn't found much need for a changeup, which will require plenty of work when he joins the rotation. A potential No. 2 or 3 starter if everything comes together, he's also highly intelligent and graduated from Texas in three years with a double major in English and history.

Sounds like a buy low candidate.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:07 PM)
Yeah, those were the only things that I'd say he needs to delete. "xxxx is offically gay" and "Queer" are a couple of the captions. Doesn't offend me in any way, but as a pro athlete, people will find a reason to make a big deal out if it.

Ya just have to be smarter than that. Doesn't offend me but others in the media or people looking to exploit, definitely.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
Agree but in general I don't like drafting these guys and trying to devleop them. It's such difficult position to learn, and I'd much rather just let another team develop these players for me & then trade for them or sign them. Maybe later in the draft we take one.

Hahn should keep focusing on pitching. Sox pitching prospects actually turn out once in a while.

Catchers, by trade, have longer development curves than other positions because of the steep transition between college and pro ball. Ayala entered rookie league as a 17 year old and is still only 19, plenty of time for him to catch up. Hopefully he can put it together this year and earn an advancement to A- ball.

The problem with trading for them is that they often cost more in a trade than other players relative to their production because there are so few legit catching prospects.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 06:21 AM)
I just want you guys to know that so called baseball enthusiast "Eminor3rd" missed the entirety of picks 4-43* because of alleged sexual intercourse with a female partner.

(I was working during the Rodon pick, what am I supposed to do, control when I work?)

* - may be incorrect

Until we see the female partner, we may not hold judgment...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
Until we see the female partner, we may not hold judgment...

I think we need proof of both her existence and the reason for his absence. Without proof, we shall consider this an unexcused absence

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 12:48 AM)
As much as I harp on velocity being overrated, I'd kill for a RH fireballer. We're very LH heavy. Those LH pitchers have to differentiate themselves by giving hitter different looks.

That's why I was on Kolek train

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)

How many major league ready catchers are actually out there?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
How many major league ready catchers are actually out there?

Very few, and that's kind of the point.

If you have to throw a ton at someone for a Jason Castro (who is doing poorly this year, maybe we can get him now) or if you have to sign a more undesirable type like a Salty, because you can't count on a player the quality of an AJ getting nontendered for no reason by the Giants, then you do that if you have to IMO.

I think in general though if you can find yourself an AJ or a Fisk, no matter how expensive they are - and yes I know Fisk the HOF is certainly an impossible thing to ask, but I'm using him as an example since he was ours - then I think you have to do it. With AJ & Fisk we saw here how valuable it is to have a quality MLB catcher anchor a pitching staff and produce in the lineup for many years.

I mean if you get a Buster Posey in the draft that's one thing, but IIRC that same draft Wieters was the guy everyone wanted, and he's been quality but nowhere near what he was supposed to be, and I believe Kyle Skipworth was in there too and he must have busted by now because I haven't heard of him. I just think it's too hard to develop these guys yourself and IMO the Sox sohuld really focus on pitching.

I do like the sound of a contact-based skill player. At this point, give me contact and speed over power, definitely, assuming the power involves a massive amount of Ks. No more s***ty K machine OFers I think we've proven we can't develop these guys. Although as much as I love KW I bet he still gets a hardon every time he sees some s***ty K machine OF in the minors somewhere, and then he calls up Buddy Bell and they sword fight with their hardons over it. But thankfully Hahn's there to throw some water on the situation, cool those guys down and say "Let's just go get a pitcher instead."

FWIW: Bleacher reports 2nd round mock has us taking, Micheal Cederoth from San Diego State.

Previous Selections

3. LHP Carlos Rodon, North Carolina State

44. RHP Spencer Adams, White County HS (Ga.)

The Pick: RHP Michael Cederoth, San Diego State

Baseball America rank: 45

MLB.com rank: 59

The run on college arms continues with Michael Cederoth, but the big 6'6" right-hander has worked as a reliever this spring, where he has thrived thanks to one of college baseball's best fastballs.

He regularly works in the mid-90s but can dial it up to the triple digits, and while his secondary stuff is still developing, his slider is a potential out pitch. The White Sox need quality arms wherever they can get them, and after saving 20 games with a 2.28 ERA and 9.6 K/9 at San Diego State, Cederoth would be a welcome addition to their organization.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

And the Cubs taking Reetz with the next pick:

The Pick: C Jakson Reetz

Baseball America rank: 62

MLB.com rank: 40

Yes, the Chicago Cubs need pitching. And yes, they already drafted a potential catching prospect in Kyle Schwarber with the No. 4 pick in the draft. However, there's a good chance that Schwarber winds up at first base or in the outfield, and this is an organization that really has nothing behind Welington Castillo at the catcher position.

Jakson Reetz made a name for himself by winning MVP honors at the Perfect Game All-America Classic, and unlike Schwarber there is no question about whether or not he'll be a catcher over the long term. He brings good athleticism to the position and has all the tools to turn into a plus defensive catcher, and he should also develop into a solid hitter due to a compact, line-drive swing that could generate some power.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
FWIW: Bleacher reports 2nd round mock has us taking, Micheal Cederoth from San Diego State.

Previous Selections

3. LHP Carlos Rodon, North Carolina State

44. RHP Spencer Adams, White County HS (Ga.)

The Pick: RHP Michael Cederoth, San Diego State

Baseball America rank: 45

MLB.com rank: 59

The run on college arms continues with Michael Cederoth, but the big 6'6" right-hander has worked as a reliever this spring, where he has thrived thanks to one of college baseball's best fastballs.

He regularly works in the mid-90s but can dial it up to the triple digits, and while his secondary stuff is still developing, his slider is a potential out pitch. The White Sox need quality arms wherever they can get them, and after saving 20 games with a 2.28 ERA and 9.6 K/9 at San Diego State, Cederoth would be a welcome addition to their organization.

I'd love that.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)

If you have to throw a ton at someone for a Jason Castro (who is doing poorly this year, maybe we can get him now) or if you have to sign a more undesirable type like a Salty, because you can't count on a player the quality of an AJ getting nontendered for no reason by the Giants, then you do that if you have to IMO.

I think in general though if you can find yourself an AJ or a Fisk, no matter how expensive they are - and yes I know Fisk the HOF is certainly an impossible thing to ask, but I'm using him as an example since he was ours - then I think you have to do it. With AJ & Fisk we saw here how valuable it is to have a quality MLB catcher anchor a pitching staff and produce in the lineup for many years.

I mean if you get a Buster Posey in the draft that's one thing, but IIRC that same draft Wieters was the guy everyone wanted, and he's been quality but nowhere near what he was supposed to be, and I believe Kyle Skipworth was in there too and he must have busted by now because I haven't heard of him. I just think it's too hard to develop these guys yourself and IMO the Sox sohuld really focus on pitching.

I do like the sound of a contact-based skill player. At this point, give me contact and speed over power, definitely, assuming the power involves a massive amount of Ks. No more s***ty K machine OFers I think we've proven we can't develop these guys. Although as much as I love KW I bet he still gets a hardon every time he sees some s***ty K machine OF in the minors somewhere, and then he calls up Buddy Bell and they sword fight with their hardons over it. But thankfully Hahn's there to throw some water on the situation, cool those guys down and say "Let's just go get a pitcher instead."

Do you think Karkovice would take a one-year deal?

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)

If you can produce your own catcher, that is a huge save on resources. We had to give up a decent starting pitcher to get the guy who have starting now at C.