Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
Will the Sox face a potential penalty if they go over slot, IF they stay under their total allotment?

As long as they don't go after total allotment, they are OK.

The first dollar they go over starts a 75% fine. If they get more than 5% over their total allotment, then starts the draft pick losses.

The Sox total this year is $9,509,700, meaning they could go $475,484 over their allotment, or $9,985,184, before they lose a draft pick. If they spent their full allotment they could go over, without hitting 5%, the true cost to the organization would be $832,097, including the fines.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
I like Oliver more I read. Good, potentially great stuff, maybe better than anyone left. Hasn't been able to put it together yet for whatever reason. DUI a day before the draft because he's apparently a moron but that should be a great negotiating tactic.

People make mistakes. That doesn't mean he's a bad guy.

Okay so I am confused about the bonus rules here. Someone before posted that we have to offer 90% value of a given slot or we lose the pick.

1) Is this true?

2) If so, do we *have* to offer 90% slot value to the player we select with that pick, leaving the 10% sum for overslots?

3) If the above is not true, could we theoretically offer 10% slot value to the player we select, then offer 50% of the value to our #1 and the 40% remaining to our #2?

So we can go up to but not over $100K on every pick from 11 on, and we also have an overage. So theoretically if we get enough underslot guys we can take BPA at #11 and use leftover pool money plus our overage, assuming we have pool money available?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
Darius Day out of Simeon as well. He's a supreme athlete. He singlehandedly beat my team when he was a freshman. Stealing bases and running all over the outfield like a gazelle.

I saw Godfrey pitch against my HS team and velocity/command deteriorated after the first two innings. Just one outing but I was really underwhelmed by him.

Was it this year? Godfrey had a pretty down year. He did beat Sandburg yesterday however. He used to be a Notre Dame commit and is now committed to LSU. I think he'll go pro though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
As long as they don't go after total allotment, they are OK.

The first dollar they go over starts a 75% fine. If they get more than 5% over their total allotment, then starts the draft pick losses.

The Sox total this year is $9,509,700, meaning they could go $475,484 over their allotment, or $9,985,184, before they lose a draft pick. If they spent their full allotment they could go over, without hitting 5%, the true cost to the organization would be $832,097, including the fines.

We shouldn't be worried about the fines, in fact that should become commonplace given the habits of the big market teams and the need for small market teams to compete with them in the draft. But the draft pick losses definitely need to be avoided, because those are pool losses as well.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
Okay so I am confused about the bonus rules here. Someone before posted that we have to offer 90% value of a given slot or we lose the pick.

1) Is this true?

2) If so, do we *have* to offer 90% slot value to the player we select with that pick, leaving the 10% sum for overslots?

3) If the above is not true, could we theoretically offer 10% slot value to the player we select, then offer 50% of the value to our #1 and the 40% remaining to our #2?

So we can go up to but not over $100K on every pick from 11 on, and we also have an overage. So theoretically if we get enough underslot guys we can take BPA at #11 and use leftover pool money plus our overage, assuming we have pool money available?

No you don't have to offer within 90%. The Sox 3rd rounder is slotted at like $700k. They could easily draft a HS senior in rd 3 and pay him $100,000.00 if they wanted.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

1) Is this true?

In the first three rounds, if you offer at least 90% of slot value to a pick and he doesn't sign, you get an extra pick in next year's draft to make up for it. If the Sox only offer their 3rd round pick $100K and he doesn't sign, they will not get an extra pick next year to make up for it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
In the first three rounds, if you offer at least 90% of slot value to a pick and he doesn't sign, you get an extra pick in next year's draft to make up for it. If the Sox only offer their 3rd round pick $100K and he doesn't sign, they will not get an extra pick next year to make up for it.

Okay thank you. So this doesn't matter after Round 3 because no matter what we wouldn't get a pick back anyway. Got it.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
Given the knowledge bomb Hickory Huskers just dropped, I don't see why we'd go underslot at #3. Leave that to the Marlins. Give me Sands at 3 and 4+ can be undersluts I don't care.

What's an underslut? :lol: