2014-2015 NBA thread

This might be a really dumb question, but what sorts of things is Thibs going to do when both Gasol and Noah are on the court at the same time? I know Gasol isn't considered a great defensive big, but I think the pairing should be pretty solid defensively. But what about offensively? What sort of sets can they run when they're on the court together?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stevenson is a loose canon. He could be a great bargain or a total waste of money. You know what you are getting with Gasol at a little more than 1/3 what it costs for Carlos Boozer.

I would have liked the Bulls to pick up Born Ready. I did predict incorrectly last winter he and Danny Granger would be Bulls this summer. There's a lot to like, but guys like him also fade fast often.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 06:26 AM)
Wade gets 11 million less than If he would of not opted out. :lolhitting

People have been found in car trunks for waaaay less money than that, lol. I still can't believe Wade would do that without knowing for sure what LeBron was gonna do. Maybe they weren't THAT close as the media had us believe.

I think the Heat realize what Wade left on the table trying get LeBron to re sign (and his role in bringing him there in the first place). They'll take care of him in the long run, probably give him a position in the Heat organization after he retires.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 07:33 AM)
Good lord, Felix really has ruined this board.

Differing opinions, Felix thought Rose was an overrated inefficient chucker. I think Love is a stat padder whose nice stats doesn't translate into more Wolves wins, and is a liability on defense.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 07:09 AM)
3 yr/ 27mil (3rd year looks like a team option)

Good pickup for the Hornets, adds some scoring to that roster, let's just see if they can smooth out his antics.

Stevenson screwed that up royally. He left a lot of money on the table by rejecting the Pacers last offer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 07:44 AM)
To expand - Rose has a max contract and has hardly played in three years. Westbrook, while awesome in the bounceback season, has his own worries regarding his legs. Bosh, I mean that one's not even worth discussing. Dwight is a shell of his former self (still very good, but his efficiency is light years behind Love). Harden is the only one you could really argue, but I think I'd still lean Love.

Kevin Love was 3rd in PER behind LeBron and Durant last season.

Sorry, not trying to pick on you, but your post was ignorant and laughable.

This is a message board, you feel one way, not everyone is going to agree. I've given my reasons as to why I don't like Love, and I'm not the only one who feels that way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
Stevenson screwed that up royally. He left a lot of money on the table by rejecting the Pacers last offer.

In a world where Marvin Williams gets $7 million, I'm amazed 23-year old Lance Stephenson only gets $9 per.

I have to say, I think there was a lot of GM chatter about Stephenson.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 05:09 AM)
3 yr/ 27mil (3rd year looks like a team option)

Good pickup for the Hornets, adds some scoring to that roster, let's just see if they can smooth out his antics.

I get so disappointed we couldn't have found a way to get him on Bulls, especially at that price.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 05:47 AM)
Really? Pau Gasol at 7.3 seems like the better get to me.

I'll say it 100 times, I'd rather have Lance then Pau. A lineup with Lance in it is better then the alternative. A wing starter who can score (and in this case also play lock down d) was a far bigger priority then another big. I like the Pau move and I think the Bulls are better but Stephenson should have been a higher priority, especially at this money. Plus, Stephenson is a bigger asset moving forward to help you from the perspective of potentially trading for a star. That said, I think Pau is a great fit, its just with Mirotic on board, I'd have rather upgraded our back-court some more (although I love the depth we have down low right now and I also don't know enough about Mirotic and what Bulls think he's capable of early on, but they are paying him to be a productive player from the get go).

Assuming the following:

Boozer could not be moved and is amnestied

The McDermott trade happens exactly as it did (Randolph included)

Hinrich signs

Does soxtalk prefer:

Rose-Hinrich

Stephenson - Snell

Butler - Doug

Taj - Mirotic

Noah - Greg Smith

or the current

Rose-Hinrich

Butler-Snell

Dunleavy-Mcdermott

Gasol-Taj-Mirotic

Noah-Gasol

????

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
This might be a really dumb question, but what sorts of things is Thibs going to do when both Gasol and Noah are on the court at the same time? I know Gasol isn't considered a great defensive big, but I think the pairing should be pretty solid defensively. But what about offensively? What sort of sets can they run when they're on the court together?

Just once, ONCE, just for kicks, I'd love to see Gasol run a pick and roll with Noah.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 07:48 AM)
Assuming the following:

Hinrich signs

Does soxtalk prefer:

Rose-Hinrich

Stephenson - Snell

Butler - Doug

Taj - Mirotic

Noah - Greg Smith

or the current

Rose-Hinrich

Butler-Snell

Dunleavy-Mcdermott

Gasol-Taj-Mirotic

Noah-Gasol

????

What happens to MJD in the 1st scenario? I like the starting lineup of the 1st team more. 2nd team with a better bench but part of that is because I dont' know what happened to MJD (S&T?). I would presume if we did S&T MJD in scenario 1, it would have been for some form of a back-up big.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)

It's the same $$ though. Indy offered him 5 years $44 million. He took 3 years $27 million. He's only 23. If he is good in Charlotte, he'll get another pay day before his 27th birthday.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)
That's a really solid deal for both - Lance sets himself up for a nice little payday if he continues to develop.

Charlotte's on the right track. I mean, they won't ever win anything and are smack dab in the middle of NBA hell, but at least they aren't going to lose 50 games.

Charlotte is much better than say the Knicks. I think Charlotte finishes with the 6-8 seed.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
Assuming the following:

Hinrich signs

Does soxtalk prefer:

Rose-Hinrich

Stephenson - Snell

Butler - Doug

Taj - Mirotic

Noah - Greg Smith

or the current

Rose-Hinrich

Butler-Snell

Dunleavy-Mcdermott

Gasol-Taj-Mirotic

Noah-Gasol

????

I like the first line up, dat athleticism and defense.

One big thing is, Stephenson leaving Pacers, well it might fix their clubhouse but it will have a negative impact on their offense. They are going to need Paul George to be top 3 player in the NBA Paul George if they plan on making it out of even the East.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
What happens to MJD in the 1st scenario? I like the starting lineup of the 1st team more. 2nd team with a better bench but part of that is because I dont' know what happened to MJD (S&T?). I would presume if we did S&T MJD in scenario 1, it would have been for some form of a back-up big.

The bulls are capped out. Gasol makes less money than Lance. In order to open up more space, MDJ is only logical player, snell/butler less likely.

Lance + Greg Smith - Gasol = a bit less than MDJ contract.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
Charlotte is much better than say the Knicks. I think Charlotte finishes with the 6-8 seed.

Charlotte is very interesting now.

As dumb as Jordan was for a couple years, they were a rigged lottery from having Anthony Davis. They instead got Michael KG, which, bad pick, but switch those two and people are terrified.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 07:57 AM)
The bulls are capped out. Gasol makes less money than Lance. In order to open up more space, MDJ is only logical player, snell/butler less likely.

Lance + Greg Smith - Gasol = a bit less than MDJ contract.

There are probably some scenarios where in an ideal world you could have gotten Lance, Hinrich, and Gasol (while leaving Mirotic over for one more year). That wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world either. This is assuming you could have convinced Gasol to come to Chicago for the MLE, but I presume there was a pretty good chance of that (since he signed for just slightly over the MLE).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
There are probably some scenarios where in an ideal world you could have gotten Lance, Hinrich, and Gasol (while leaving Mirotic over for one more year). That wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world either. This is assuming you could have convinced Gasol to come to Chicago for the MLE, but I presume there was a pretty good chance of that (since he signed for just slightly over the MLE).

That would have been great, but looking at how bulls offseason panned out I find it a reach to assume that actually could have happened. My assumptions are much more realistic.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
One big thing is, Stephenson leaving Pacers, well it might fix their clubhouse but it will have a negative impact on their offense. They are going to need Paul George to be top 3 player in the NBA Paul George if they plan on making it out of even the East.

I think Vogel was more of the problem for maybe not taking control of his clubhouse, idk, Indiana was and still might be a weird situation. They need Paul George AND Roy Hibbert to play more like they did 2 years ago than last year.

Either way, Bulls will be competing with the Cavs for 1st place in the Central if (sigh) DRose returns to form soon enough.