2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
I think if the Bulls offered him the same contract, he still goes to Charlotte. More PT, assuming DRose can stay healthy.

From what Lin said, Dallas didn't even want him, which makes no sense to me. He would have gotten a lot more PT in Dallas given their current guard situation.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
I think if the Bulls offered him the same contract, he still goes to Charlotte. More PT, assuming DRose can stay healthy.

I'd be surprised. Bulls backup PG spot has been a prime piece, and Lin would seem to be a big draw in high asian population cities (NY, HOU, LA...charlotte.

I'm not sure what to think of the DeAndre Jordan business. It sounds to me like he probably never wanted to go anywhere else but his agent led him to believe he had no choice. Then he finds out he did have a choice.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
I'd be surprised. Bulls backup PG spot has been a prime piece, and Lin would seem to be a big draw in high asian population cities (NY, HOU, LA...charlotte.

And DRose hasn't played much the last couple of years. If he is healthy, Lin's playing time is going to be limited at best.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
I'm not sure what to think of the DeAndre Jordan business. It sounds to me like he probably never wanted to go anywhere else but his agent led him to believe he had no choice. Then he finds out he did have a choice.

Fegan is an awful agent, but at the same time, DeAndre acted like a child. Your agent shouldn't sway you so easily that you agree to sign for the wrong team.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
Yeah, I am more pissed about that then this Jordan stuff, haha.

Basically at this point it looks like the Bulls are set up to "try last season's roster again". I don't feel that excited about this situation. And It's not the only team in Chicago I'm expecting to say that about this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
Basically at this point it looks like the Bulls are set up to "try last season's roster again". I don't feel that excited about this situation. And It's not the only team in Chicago I'm expecting to say that about this year.

They will add another player, just not sure who. I also don't have a problem with it. We were the 2nd best team in the East and only had like 17 regular season games with the starting lineup in tact. And yes, I say we were the 2nd best and that was fairly obvious in the playoffs. I was incredibly pissed we lost to Cleveland and a lot of guys on our side sucked and Cleveland was playing really hurt but we also had our own issues and had guys who were playing hurt too. Both are probably going to be trends (Noah / Taj / Rose are injury prone) and on Cleveland's side you could make the case that Kyrie and Love are as well.

Bulls were still a technical foul call from having total control of that series (and/or a Lebron buzzer beater) so while we'd all love to be the heavy favorites, we still are an extremely competitive team who will be top 5 in Vegas odds, I presume. Behind Spurs / Warriors / Cavs. Not sure if there will be anyone else we will be behind (maybe OKC?).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
Call me crazy but I don't see anything wrong with what Jordan did.

It's fine to change your mind when you're not bound to your decision, but it's also pretty childish and not professional to ignore and actively evade the Mavs/Cuban. Have a grown up conversation about it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
It's fine to change your mind when you're not bound to your decision, but it's also pretty childish and not professional to ignore and actively evade the Mavs/Cuban. Have a grown up conversation about it.

Okay, I can see that part of it for sure. But the idea that a player can cancel a verbal committment prior to the ink being able to be put to paper seems like a no brainer.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
They will add another player, just not sure who. I also don't have a problem with it. We were the 2nd best team in the East and only had like 17 regular season games with the starting lineup in tact. And yes, I say we were the 2nd best and that was fairly obvious in the playoffs. I was incredibly pissed we lost to Cleveland and a lot of guys on our side sucked and Cleveland was playing really hurt but we also had our own issues and had guys who were playing hurt too. Both are probably going to be trends (Noah / Taj / Rose are injury prone) and on Cleveland's side you could make the case that Kyrie and Love are as well.

Bulls were still a technical foul call from having total control of that series (and/or a Lebron buzzer beater) so while we'd all love to be the heavy favorites, we still are an extremely competitive team who will be top 5 in Vegas odds, I presume. Behind Spurs / Warriors / Cavs. Not sure if there will be anyone else we will be behind (maybe OKC?).

Don't underestimate the Heat and the Bucks next season. Unless Noah is healthy and Rose is a better version of what we say last year, the Bulls are a middle of the pack team in the east. I'd guess 3-4 seed when it's all said and done. Rose will never be Rose, Noah is officially done and on the decline, and they won't go balls to the wall for meaningless regular season games like they have been the last few years.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
Don't underestimate the Heat and the Bucks next season. Unless Noah is healthy and Rose is a better version of what we say last year, the Bulls are a middle of the pack team in the east. I'd guess 3-4 seed when it's all said and done. Rose will never be Rose, Noah is officially done and on the decline, and they won't go balls to the wall for meaningless regular season games like they have been the last few years.

Some of that can be offset by Mirotic being better and the bench being used better and the offense being better in general. My bigger worry out of what you mentioned though is that I'll believe Gasol can be as good as he was last year when I see it again, at some point he will actually get old.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
Okay, I can see that part of it for sure. But the idea that a player can cancel a verbal committment prior to the ink being able to be put to paper seems like a no brainer.

Yes, he should have that option. But it's still kinda s***ty. Your word doesn't mean much if you flip from a commitment. And it's especially s***ty when in the NBA free agency situation the Mavs are out making other deals to finalize the roster and/or are refraining from going after guys because they have his commitment.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
Some of that can be offset by Mirotic being better and the bench being used better and the offense being better in general. My bigger worry out of what you mentioned though is that I'll believe Gasol can be as good as he was last year when I see it again, at some point he will actually get old.

Yeah, that's true, although if he can set screens and hit open 18 footers he still has a lot of value.

One issue I've been thinking about is the Bulls are pretty much the anti-small ball team. Their three bigs - Noah, Gasol and Taj - are pretty terrible against a run and gun team. I remember watching the Warriors game last year thinking they'd have no shot in a 7 game series. They'd be spent after 2 games.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
Yeah, that's true, although if he can set screens and hit open 18 footers he still has a lot of value.

One issue I've been thinking about is the Bulls are pretty much the anti-small ball team. Their three bigs - Noah, Gasol and Taj - are pretty terrible against a run and gun team. I remember watching the Warriors game last year thinking they'd have no shot in a 7 game series. They'd be spent after 2 games.

The thing is, the bulls in the regular season tended to play a lot better against teams with faster pace.

It's a copycat league, bigs are probably undervalued now, if bulls get good guard play and then win with 4 bigs, league will be like "how will the small ball teams compete!"

so...the bulls did not sign Aaron brooks back at the vet min. We used a portion of our MMLE, so...we can't sign anyone else better than vet min. Because aaron brooks.

Can't wait for the "WELL THIS IS SMART BECAUSE THEY DRAFTED JIMMY BUTLER" comments.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
so...the bulls did not sign Aaron brooks back at the vet min. We used a portion of our MMLE, so...we can't sign anyone else better than vet min. Because aaron brooks.

Can't wait for the "WELL THIS IS SMART BECAUSE THEY DRAFTED JIMMY BUTLER" comments.

No wonder we couldn't sign Lin...

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)

I don't know. Was Brooks the best person we could sign? I presume we don't actually have bird rights to him so were actually limited on what we could offer him? I do agree that I'd rather give Lin that money then Brooks.

Lebron or his agent really messed up. Evidently he is signing a 2 year, 1+1 deal. I don't understand why he wouldn't have went back with another max deal with consistent out clauses. At least then in instance he has significant injury, he has protection and get all the money. Right now, if he had a horrific injury, he only has 2 years of guaranteed money. Given all the leverage he has, it just seems ludicrous.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
Lebron or his agent really messed up. Evidently he is signing a 2 year, 1+1 deal. I don't understand why he wouldn't have went back with another max deal with consistent out clauses. At least then in instance he has significant injury, he has protection and get all the money. Right now, if he had a horrific injury, he only has 2 years of guaranteed money. Given all the leverage he has, it just seems ludicrous.

I feel like you can have only one player option at the end of a contract. Otherwise every player would do what you're saying