2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
You can only have 1 player option. He wants the max under the new cba.

So in that case, I'd do my 5 year with player option and then tear it back up and do it all over again in the following year. You still keep the same leverage while having the long-term guarantee. We all know he's opting out again a year from now.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
So in that case, I'd do my 5 year with player option and then tear it back up and do it all over again in the following year. You still keep the same leverage while having the long-term guarantee. We all know he's opting out again a year from now.

The option is always the last year though, not the first. If he wants that guarantee of a check if he gets hurt, the franchise wants the guarantee that he's going to be there for a while.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 03:46 PM)
The option is always the last year though, not the first. If he wants that guarantee of a check if he gets hurt, the franchise wants the guarantee that he's going to be there for a while.

Does a shorter deal let them put more money into the individual seasons?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)

My mistake, I thought you could put the option year earlier in the contract. I am wrong though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
I don't know. Was Brooks the best person we could sign? I presume we don't actually have bird rights to him so were actually limited on what we could offer him? I do agree that I'd rather give Lin that money then Brooks.

They had his Bird Rights but he made the minimum last year. They can only pay 120% more than the minimum without tapping into the MMLE

Am I the only one here who thinks Brooks>Lin?

Is Lin the better/mire willing passer? Yea probably, but I'm really hoping that we see the old Joakim Noah point center used a lot next year. I know people are down on him as well, but with all heads has posted about Fred and all I've read about him, I really think that version of Jo would thrive in this offense.

Let Jo run the point then space the floor with shooters.

Jo at point center is terrible because nobody cares that Jo has the ball, they just add a fifth defender elsewhere. Until Jo can shoot the ball or make a layup, nobody is going to guard him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
http://www.nba.com/bulls/?ls=iref:nba:gnav

Look at the interview w/Swirsky. I don't get how Butler doesn't become a mega star (from a pure marketing perspective). If this guy can take another step forward basketball wise, their is no way he doesn't start getting mega pub and mega deals. He also just seems like a total leader.

My answer to why Butler might not become a mega-star is that the bolded is really tough from here. Legit all star last year, if he takes another step forward we're talking about an all-star starter, one of the top 10 players in the league. That's a tough step to take.

Also, for those who didn't see it. Jimmy's agent had a few interesting quotes yesterday that would seem to dispell notion that any feud between Rose / Butler would be mega. I think this is basically a, they aren't best friends, but they absolutely respect each other and largely get along, however, they still encounter the ocassional frustration and are still learning to play with each other. Reality is it takes time, especially given that Butler was emerging into a more ball dominant player this year so any off-season practice and initial game plans had to be altered as well.

"There's no feud," Walters said. "This isn't like Kobe and Shaq where the guys don't like each other. Derrick has always been really cool with Jimmy, embraced him when he got there. When Derrick was hurt, Jimmy was there to help. Derrick came back and he helped Jimmy when he was hurt. Derrick's best friend was the point guard for Jimmy's junior-college team. There are a lot of connections."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baske...0708-story.html

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 05:52 PM)
My answer to why Butler might not become a mega-star is that the bolded is really tough from here. Legit all star last year, if he takes another step forward we're talking about an all-star starter, one of the top 10 players in the league. That's a tough step to take.

butler by himself and another player in the back court, i can see it. but when you add Rose into that equation, Butler will not have the ball in his hands long enuf to make it happen.

Rose needs the ball and i am not a fan of rose since his rookie yr.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
Also, for those who didn't see it. Jimmy's agent had a few interesting quotes yesterday that would seem to dispell notion that any feud between Rose / Butler would be mega. I think this is basically a, they aren't best friends, but they absolutely respect each other and largely get along, however, they still encounter the ocassional frustration and are still learning to play with each other. Reality is it takes time, especially given that Butler was emerging into a more ball dominant player this year so any off-season practice and initial game plans had to be altered as well.

and there is this bridge that people been trying to sell.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
butler by himself and another player in the back court, i can see it. but when you add Rose into that equation, Butler will not have the ball in his hands long enuf to make it happen.

If the splash brothers can find enough ball to go around, im sure Jimmy and Rose can as well. They need to both play though. they really havent played a lot of games together due to alternating injuries

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)

I actually think if he plays roughly the same as last year, he would be cemented as a top 10-15 guy. I think if he takes another step forward, you are talking potential top 5-7 guy. Butler's game might not be sexy but he is a beast in the paint, a beast in transition, and a heck of a defender. People, first need to see that it isn't actually a fluke. And I do agree with you that it is a tough step to take, that said, their were times last year where I looked at Butler and what he did and thought to myself, and just said wow, this guy is an old school 2 that can play and is just mean down low. The key to him is going to be continued improvement in his shot and his aggressiveness. If he does that, he'll be even beastlier with his back to the basket.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)

It looks more and more like the Sun Times group were just making stuff up... again. Then the Score groups started parroting it to create controversy.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 06:00 PM)
If the splash brothers can find enough ball to go around, im sure Jimmy and Rose can as well. They need to both play though. they really havent played a lot of games together due to alternating injuries

you got a very good point.

thanks

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)

With Hoiberg's offense, Bulls are going to run, run, run. It should work wonders for Rose and Butler. Plus Bulls are a relatively selfless team when it comes to ball movement and passing (w/exception of Brooks). Rose was an awful passer but the reason I expect him to be better in 16, is I expect him to have much more comfort with his teammates and more importantly be far more adjusted to NBA speed. That takes a lot of time for a guy who missed what he missed. I expect Rose to be a much better point guard this year (and that doesn't take much cause he was awful last year). I also expect to see Rose's finishing percentage increase. Again, it takes time for him to adjust back to the closing speed, etc, and he clearly struggled finishing (he'd get the move and get the shot but the touch wasn't all the way there).

Injuries could blow it all up, but if he is on the court, his finishing / touch and passing will be much improved which will work wonders for his own efficiency and performance as well as the teams performance.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
you got a very good point.

thanks

Rose and Butler's issues, imo, will be solved with time. They both want to win and that is a good thing and while Butler is kind of like Kobe in some ways (from a work ethic perspective), he isn't near as hard headed and well, Rose, isn't Shaq in the sense that Shaq was so anti Kobe (i.e., totally lazy) that the two had just an impossible time dealing with each other. One could say Rose is soft but lazy or not hard working, no way.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
I actually think if he plays roughly the same as last year, he would be cemented as a top 10-15 guy. I think if he takes another step forward, you are talking potential top 5-7 guy. Butler's game might not be sexy but he is a beast in the paint, a beast in transition, and a heck of a defender. People, first need to see that it isn't actually a fluke. And I do agree with you that it is a tough step to take, that said, their were times last year where I looked at Butler and what he did and thought to myself, and just said wow, this guy is an old school 2 that can play and is just mean down low. The key to him is going to be continued improvement in his shot and his aggressiveness. If he does that, he'll be even beastlier with his back to the basket.

In terms of becoming a "mega star" which is what your original point addressed, top-15 guys are known throughout basketball but I don't feel like they're always well known everywhere else, especiaially if a key part of what makes them a mega-star is not the spectacular offensive plays. If he takes another step forwards as you outline here, then yeah, even endorsements & stuff will come his way.

I don't think Jimmy Butler has the raw ability to be any better then he is now. That isn't a knock against Jimmy, but I don't think he has anywhere near the raw ability of most of the true superstars in the game. There isn't a tool he has that just wow's you, and makes you think he could go to the next level.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
I don't think Jimmy Butler has the raw ability to be any better then he is now. That isn't a knock against Jimmy, but I don't think he has anywhere near the raw ability of most of the true superstars in the game. There isn't a tool he has that just wow's you, and makes you think he could go to the next level.

If he can improve ballhandling that would be something, also if he can continue to improve from 3pt land.

Overall, i think keeping units around is underrated. I think continuity is incredibly important in basketball.

I also think the Bulls are good not great and will not be great for a while.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
I also think the Bulls are good not great and will not be great for a while.

Agreed. To me that's good enough to be a distant 2nd best in the east and unfortunately that gives some people false hope. I will say that I think this Bucks talk is way premature. They'll be solid next year but nothing great and I'd still be surprised if they have home court in the first round.

I sort of wonder if the Bulls would look at Cousins if he became available, but whether he'd be a good fit under Hoiberg and what trade package they could offer is another matter entirely.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
I sort of wonder if the Bulls would look at Cousins if he became available, but whether he'd be a good fit under Hoiberg and what trade package they could offer is another matter entirely.

Hard to imagine we'd have anything that would be workable in that deal. We'd have to include a matching salary which is ok but then also give the Kings something they'd actually want in addition. Unless Snell or McDermott have incredible starts to the year, what major tradeable asset do we have? The Kings pick that we probably won't get? Would you trade Mirotic + Taj + Snell/Portis/Mcdermott for him, probably and that matchup works payroll wise, but doubt the Kings would do that?