2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Main thing I want to see is shooting. Snell last year was draining everything and looked like best player on court. Looking like best player on court doesn't mean they will be at same level during regular NBA schedule, but looking average on the summer league courts leads me to believe they will be out of league by end of rookie deal. Even Marquis made a decent summer league run. He has to look great in SL for me to think he has a chance.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 08:05 AM)
they need a good back up PG that will handle and distribute the ball.

Every guy that they have now either turns it over frequently, or is pass-first.

Hinrich isn't awful in that spot. His efficiency was down last year and he lost his confidence, however, he can handle and pass. He isn't quick enough to break guys down like some point guards but their are worse backup PG options their. If other guys develop in the wing, it means less need (and really their should never be a need) for Hinrich to play at the 2. Maybe Hoiberg can get Kirk to be a lil more efficient, etc. That said, Hinrich is pretty old but I think a lot of his game at this point has to do with his confidence.

Please note....I realize I'm supposed to hate Hinrich like everyone else here, but alas, I don't. If the Cavs had signed him as a backup, people would be going, how come we couldn't get Hinrich. And I'd be the first to admit that he was lousy last year (so don't think I didn't see it).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
I don't know what to make off Doug. None of us really know how his injury impacted him early in the season and we obviously know it would be pretty tough coming back into a rotation after missing the time he had missed (and also with the struggles he had prior to that because of the injury). Then to get up to game speed on a competitive roster. But last year he was awful (he was fine in summer league but awful as a whole). Hard to argue otherwise but I'm willing to write off that year due to injuries, etc. That said, hopefully it was a big learning year for Doug and that he can use it as a spring board to future success.

The one thing I remember about Doug last year was that his shot was lousy and I hope that had to do with the knee or confidence because if he can't do that, he has no chance. That said, he had a pretty darn good history of being a good shooter. I'm glad he's getting the experience now and he is a very nifty finisher around the basket (you can tell he was well coached). Would be big to get development out of him and have him look like a good bench player. Not asking him to be a world beater, just turn into a good bench player who can help stretch the court.

Last year he had no idea how to play within the offense. He would either stand in the corner and wait, or he would be a complete ballhog and try to show off going to the basket every time. He clearly can be a hot-hand scorer, but not clear at what cost.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 08:11 AM)
Main thing I want to see is shooting. Snell last year was draining everything and looked like best player on court. Looking like best player on court doesn't mean they will be at same level during regular NBA schedule, but looking average on the summer league courts leads me to believe they will be out of league by end of rookie deal. Even Marquis made a decent summer league run. He has to look great in SL for me to think he has a chance.

Forman mentioned Snell had been adding some more strength and was practicing really strong. I hope Tony makes another step forward. The reason I think the Bulls have upside is we haven't had a lot of continuity and guys like Snell / Mirotic / Dougie / Rose / Noah all have upside. Yes, Gasol and Butler have downside (but I could also say that Butler has potential upside as well...we don't know yet). But in my view I see more guys with potential upside.

Note: Noah and Rose have upside to me because Noah was on one leg. I don't know if a normal off-season will help, but I'd guess it would and similarly for Rose. That said, obviously anyone could get hurt and well that would be massive downside.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 08:17 AM)
Yep. My general summer league rule is that a guy playing well is meaningless but that a guy looking bad can be cause for concern.

Completely agree. Guys that look bad and struggle are cause for concern. And not like, you had one bad night, but you have a consistently bad summer league and I think their is more their to be concerned. Millions of guys have just dominated the summer league and I don't think their was that strong of a correlation effect on their future careers.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
Hinrich isn't awful in that spot. His efficiency was down last year and he lost his confidence, however, he can handle and pass. He isn't quick enough to break guys down like some point guards but their are worse backup PG options their. If other guys develop in the wing, it means less need (and really their should never be a need) for Hinrich to play at the 2. Maybe Hoiberg can get Kirk to be a lil more efficient, etc. That said, Hinrich is pretty old but I think a lot of his game at this point has to do with his confidence.

Please note....I realize I'm supposed to hate Hinrich like everyone else here, but alas, I don't. If the Cavs had signed him as a backup, people would be going, how come we couldn't get Hinrich. And I'd be the first to admit that he was lousy last year (so don't think I didn't see it).

I meant shoot-first.

I really doubt that Bulls fans would miss Hinrich.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)

Hinriich has been really bad at basketball for quite some time and not a single person would care if the Cavs had signed him as a backup. Frankly, as a Bulls fan I would have been happy because every minute that Hinrich would have been on the court for the Cavs would have increased the Bulls chances of winning. Hinrich isn't a good shooter and he also isn't a good distributor.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
Hinriich has been really bad at basketball for quite some time and not a single person would care if the Cavs had signed him as a backup. Frankly, as a Bulls fan I would have been happy because every minute that Hinrich would have been on the court for the Cavs would have increased the Bulls chances of winning. Hinrich isn't a good shooter and he also isn't a good distributor.

Hinrich is able to be tolerable enough that I don't mind him playing a few minutes per game in garbage time or on a specific matchup, or being the backup to the backup PG when Rose is injured for a few games.

That's somewhat different than 20 minutes + on the court in 3 games against Cleveland and >10 minutes in 5 of the 6.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
Hinrich is able to be tolerable enough that I don't mind him playing a few minutes per game in garbage time or on a specific matchup, or being the backup to the backup PG when Rose is injured for a few games.

That's somewhat different than 20 minutes + on the court in 3 games against Cleveland and >10 minutes in 5 of the 6.

The problem is, is that Hinrich usually gets forced into a bigger role than originally intended because Rose is gaining a consistent history of getting injured for long stretches.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
The problem is, is that Hinrich usually gets forced into a bigger role than originally intended because Rose is gaining a consistent history of getting injured for long stretches.

I'm generally ok with that and can live with that. He still pulls off the occasional "good game" and I can live with that from the 2nd backup.

He just doesn't belong on the court for 1/2 the game in the playoffs when everyone else is healthy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
So Noah is selling his Lincoln Park mansion. The real estate agent said proximity to work is his priority. Considering the Bulls now practice next to the UC, this is a bit confusing since he bought the home a year ago. Maybe he is getting dealt.

interesting...... good opinion as well.

something to keep an eye on.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)
So Noah is selling his Lincoln Park mansion. The real estate agent said proximity to work is his priority. Considering the Bulls now practice next to the UC, this is a bit confusing since he bought the home a year ago. Maybe he is getting dealt.

Maybe, but going from lincoln park southwest to United Center is no peach either even compared to Berto Center.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
Maybe, but going from lincoln park southwest to United Center is no peach either even compared to Berto Center.

I live in the Gold Coast, about 5 minutes from Lincoln Park. Unless he's moving to the West Loop and walking to practice and the games, it really isn't going to be more than a 5 or 10 minute difference in his commute no matter where he goes.

Right, but maybe he is. Real Estate transactions aren't exactly quick and easy, especially at those price points. I doubt he recieved word he's getting traded and was able to put his house on market before anyone else has gotten privvy to it.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 09:07 PM)
Who are their other big men options?

Jordan Hill and? IDK. Fact is the Warriors winning the way they did is going to change the game. We would've seen this evolution a lot sooner had one of the Nash/D'antoni (bad luck/injuries) teams won.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 09:21 PM)
Jordan Hill and? IDK. Fact is the Warriors winning the way they did is going to change the game. We would've seen this evolution a lot sooner had one of the Nash/D'antoni (bad luck/injuries) teams won.

Yeah, all it takes is another 08-11 lakers team to appear and everyone say "We need dynamic 7 footers to win!"