Oh How I Wish...

hi8is

We'd selected Trout over Mitchell in 2009 like myself and many others where hoping.

Your turn. What would your FutureSox wish be if you could have one wish granted? There are no limits.

Let the comedy ensue.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 12:50 AM)
We'd selected Trout over Mitchell in 2009 like myself and many others where hoping.

Your turn. What would your FutureSox wish be if you could have one wish granted? There are no limits.

Let the comedy ensue.

Indirectly related, we had the prospects (equivalent of Maybin and Miller) at the time to rope in Cabrera.

Or that we held onto Gio Gonzalez the second time around (in other words, never traded for Swisher).

And/or the chance to go back and sign Puig or Cespedes.

Your wishes have been deemed lame by the god of this thread.

Literally anything is possible.

"I wish we would hand drafted Randy Johnson."

"I wish we would have traded a young Ken Griffey Jr. for an A ball catcher."

Thus far , the Cabrera trade pieces takes the cake. Good on ya there.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
Your wishes have been deemed lame by the god of this thread.

Literally anything is possible.

"I wish we would hand drafted Randy Johnson."

"I wish we would have traded a young Ken Griffey Jr. for an A ball catcher."

Thus far , the Cabrera trade pieces takes the cake. Good on ya there.

Yeah, see, that's why I don't necessarily like it. I mean, I wish we'd terraform Jupiter so I could get more stupider, but that's simply not possible.

I wish we'd drafted Lucas Giolito when he fell to us at 13

Robin Ventura has plenty to ponder in his first season as manager of the Chicago White Sox.

But Ventura gave special attention to Harvard-Westlake (Calif.) High School pitcher Lucas Giolito, who was considered as the potential first overall pick in the June draft under he suffered an ulnar collateral ligament sprain in his right arm Tuesday that will sideline him for the remainder of the season.

The Sox have the 13th overall pick, but Ventura doesn’t believe Giolito won’t be available by then.

How would Ventura know? He was a volunteer assistant coach at Arroyo Grande High School last season. The Eagles reached the second round of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Southern Section Division II playoffs but were eliminated 1-0 by Harvard-Westlake at North Hollywood.

The winning pitcher was Giolito, who struck out 12.

“He’s as good as advertised,” Ventura said. “He can hit 95 mph, has control and a changeup. He had everything that day. I’d be very careful, just because he’s that good.”

Ventura believes Giolito’s letter of intent to play at UCLA shouldn’t scare pro teams.

“He probably should be the first pick,” Ventura said. “I haven’t seen any players, but he definitely would be in to top three if I’m looking at people.”

For the record, Sox scouting director Doug Laumman was well aware of Giolito’s potential well before his senior year started.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 08:08 AM)
what?

Barnum was our compensation pick for Buehrle. At the time I even said trade Danks for whatever you could get since he was pretty mediocre at the time of the extension (KW wanted like 3-4 great prospects for him) and just signed Buehrle instead.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
Barnum was our compensation pick for Buehrle. At the time I even said trade Danks for whatever you could get since he was pretty mediocre at the time of the extension (KW wanted like 3-4 great prospects for him) and just signed Buehrle instead.

That doesn't mean they traded Buehrle for Barnum. They gave up Buehrle, got back Barnum AND ABOUT $50M. Kind of a key element there. Every indication was that Mark wasn't worth that kind of money anymore.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
That doesn't mean they traded Buehrle for Barnum. They gave up Buehrle, got back Barnum AND ABOUT $50M. Kind of a key element there. Every indication was that Mark wasn't worth that kind of money anymore.

And sure enough on 6/24/14 he's worth every penny of it and Barnum is a mediocre high A 1B

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 08:02 AM)

All of this "we should have kept Buehrle" stuff is just silly. Look at that contract again, and tell me the previous two years were worth suffering through for this stretch. Tell me all of the guys we should have cut, or if it would have been worth not having Jose Abreu on this team right now to have Buehrle here.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
I just looked him up. 24 yr old 6'9" RHP with a ton of strikeouts; now at Rochester in IL.

I see 6'7, 10.5 K/9, 4.3 BB/9, 3.79 ERA, and 71.1 IP in 15 GS. That's less than 5 innings per start.

He's definitely a good prospect but he hasn't done anything yet.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
Pretending to know who we would have picked or how they would have fared in our system is silly talk

It's still fun to be afforded the clarity of retrospection in such a forum.

Makes for creative thinking. Thou, in your case - disdane seems to have been the color of choice.