Sea Men @ Pale Hose 1:10 July 5th

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:05 PM)
Does Surkamp even have any experience pitching in a save situation in Charlotte this year?

He was in to face Cano only, and then Putnam was going for the save. You know, the guy you said Robin was stupid not to use instead of Petricka a couple of weeks ago.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)
Maybe so, but that's what he deserves when he manages like this. He either micro manages or he manages like he's asleep and does nothing.

When you've got young kids in a save situation, bring them out to start the damn inning themselves. If Cano hits a home run, so be it. But don't bring in Surkamp like he some kind of a huge improvement over the Putnam matchup.

So two pitchers failing to protect a 2 run lead is the managers fault. Uh huh.

Let's face it. Rock is primarily right concerning Robin. This is more on Kenny and Hahn somewhat. Robin's roster is so bad no manager would have any better record than Robin's that is for sure. Pretty much all the relievers are equally horrific when trying to save a game. I may think Robin is a clown, as well, but his record this year speaks for itself. Not bad for the roster.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
He was in to face Cano only, and then Putnam was going for the save. You know, the guy you said Robin was stupid not to use instead of Petricka a couple of weeks ago.

Things change a lot in two weeks.

Gordon Beckham and Dayan Viciedo were dramatically different hitters a couple of weeks ago.

Putnam still had at least a modicum of confidence from all of his success in the set-up role.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:15 PM)
No, that is not what I posted.

Read.

The idea is to win the game. Cano hits righties better, most likely has never faced Surkamp so it makes sense to put him in there. The way Putnam threw, I don't think anyone can conclude he would have retired Cano.

This staff leads the world in walks, and it seems walks always cause problems.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
Let's face it. Rock is primarily right concerning Robin. This is more on Kenny and Hahn somewhat. Robin's roster is so bad no manager would have any better record than Robin's that is for sure. Pretty much all the relievers are equally horrific when trying to save a game. I may think Robin is a clown, as well, but his record this year speaks for itself. Not bad for the roster.

You know what, Greg? You're right. I don't know how I didn't see this before.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
The idea is to win the game. Cano hits righties better, most likely has never faced Surkamp so it makes sense to put him in there. The way Putnam threw, I don't think anyone can conclude he would have retired Cano.

This staff leads the world in walks, and it seems walks always cause problems.

Alright Herm.

Cano has never faced me either. You know why? Because I'm not an mlb pitcher. Neither is Surkamp.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:18 PM)
Things change a lot in two weeks.

Gordon Beckham and Dayan Viciedo were dramatically different hitters a couple of weeks ago.

Putnam still had at least a modicum of confidence from all of his success in the set-up role.

That's funny.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 12:19 AM)
You know what, Greg? You're right. I don't know how I didn't see this before.

Sometimes I confuse Rock and Dick Allen. I think Rock's position is the one in which it's mainly the horrific roster being the problem, not so much Robin.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:21 PM)
Alright Herm.

Cano has never faced me either. You know why? Because I'm not an mlb pitcher. Neither is Surkamp.

No, but Putnam still entered with a 2 run lead and only one man on, against not exactly the strongest line up in baseball, and he didn't get the job done. Blame Robin all you want, but you are wrong. If he had a decent closer, he wouldn't have to use Surkamp, and if Surkamp isn't a major leaguer why aren't you blasting Hahn

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
No, but Putnam still entered with a 2 run lead and only one man on, against not exactly the strongest line up in baseball, and he didn't get the job done. Blame Robin all you want, but you are wrong. If he had a decent closer, he wouldn't have to use Surkamp, and if Surkamp isn't a major leaguer why aren't you blasting Hahn

Well if you say I'm wrong then I admit it, I'm wrong.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:18 PM)

I liked all the signings in the pen, they just haven't worked.....Not only did Jones and Lindstrom go down but Downs and Belly haven't preformed like expected. In todays MLB where relievers are largely hit or miss from year to year those 2 had been fairly consistent.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:27 PM)
I don't see why we couldn't leave Jake in. He's easily been our best reliever this year, why not leave him in against Seattle's best hitter?

I was disappointed Petricka was removed as well

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:27 PM)
I don't see why we couldn't leave Jake in. He's easily been our best reliever this year, why not leave him in against Seattle's best hitter?

I totally agree but I understand why they wanted a lefty. Then complete choke job, including the offense.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
I liked all the signings in the pen, they just haven't worked.....Not only did Jones and Lindstrom go down but Downs and Belly haven't preformed like expected. In todays MLB where relievers are largely hit or miss from year to year those 2 had been fairly consistent.

Matt Lindstrom was hated by this board. When he got injured there were several posts indicating it was actually a blessing. I will say it again, if losing Jones and Lindstrom makes your bullpen the worst in baseball, it wasn't anywhere near average to begin with.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
I totally agree but I understand why they wanted a lefty. Then complete choke job, including the offense.

I do too, but that's a pretty high leverage system to throw Surkamp into.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:39 PM)
Matt Lindstrom was hated by this board. When he got injured there were several posts indicating it was actually a blessing. I will say it again, if losing Jones and Lindstrom makes your bullpen the worst in baseball, it wasn't anywhere near average to begin with.

Total mischaracterization. Nobody wanted the guy closing, he is a setup guy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:39 PM)

FWIW, I was not one of those guys. Lindstrom wasn't great but he wasn't awful either. Losing him did indeed hurt. Jones was also a big lose since he has been really solid at getting LHers out. If he was still around they wouldn't have had to use Downs and Surkamp (who before today had actually looked good as loogy) that much.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)
I do too, but that's a pretty high leverage system to throw Surkamp into.

Plus he sucks. But yeah. Let's say that's a contending caliber lefty, Damaso Marte (old school) then it makes sense.

Robin clearly tries to give these guys faith and confidence but it's not working. They need a real talented vet to come in and stabilize.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 10:11 PM)
Plus he sucks. But yeah. Let's say that's a contending caliber lefty, Damaso Marte (old school) then it makes sense.

Robin clearly tries to give these guys faith and confidence but it's not working. They need a real talented vet to come in and stabilize.

We have plenty of vets. It's the talent that is lacking, or the talent is there and the control is lacking.