GAME THREAD 7/7: SOX @ BOS

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 07:54 PM)
5 homers and 11 RBI's in a week.

Carlos Lee streaky!!!!

Wow. Huge homer, fought back from on 0-2 count. Oppo.....all muscle.

More Juan Uribe streaky to me.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 07:38 PM)
Good take. You hope Nieto can get through the year, continue to improve in the offseason, and then maybe be ready to compete for a starting job next spring. That is extremely optmitisc however. As of now I'd proceed as if we have zero starting caliber catchers on the roster. Assuming anything else is ludicrous.

I will say that Tyler Flowers def scraped against his floor as a prospect but did it the exact opposite most expected. He can't hit for s*** but he's a decent defensive catcher, go figure.

My guess is Nieto starts next year in AAA and serves as the organization's #3 catcher. Ideally he spends the entire season there and is ready to contribute by 2016 (likely as a backup).

I really think Hahn is going to find a way to acquire a legit starting catcher before next season though. We really can't waste another season not attempting to develop a long-term as answer to the position.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
My guess is Nieto starts next year in AAA and serves as the organization's #3 catcher. Ideally he spends the entire season there and is ready to contribute by 2016 (likely as a backup).

I really think Hahn is going to find a way to acquire a legit starting catcher before next season though. We really can't waste another season not attempting to develop a long-term as answer to the position.

I have really liked what Nieto has shown this year especially with the big jump. Makes me think he can be a pretty good catcher

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)
5 homers and 11 RBI's in a week.

Carlos Lee streaky!!!!

Wow. Huge homer, fought back from on 0-2 count. Oppo.....all muscle.

Previously 1 for 9 against Buchholz.

That thing was crushed about 420 oppo to right center.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
So Conor plays against LHP but sits verse Buckholz? I swear to god Robin Ventura is either brain dead or his entire '14 managing year is one big epic troll job.

Also love that bottom 3, might as well just give them 3 automatic outs in a row like when you don't have enough guys in softball.

edit: nm I see Conor is injured. sweet.

Ummm Conor has a bruised knee from that HBP in his 3rd AB yesterday.

oops i saw you edited yours so I will edit mine .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 07:00 PM)
Tank officially a league average hitter with a wRC+ of 100.

Still think it's insane to trade him for a relief pitcher and then run Sierra/Taylor out there. How likely are those guys to be improvements?

Taylor is already 4 years older than Dayan.

With Gillaspie not hitting for power, catcher not giving us anything, Semien/Johnson/Eaton not power guys...and losing Dunn as well, you just can't give up on him quite yet.

Farrell mentioned Abreu, Dunn, Viciedo and then Ramirez hitting with pop this year. Losing all three of those guys isn't a great idea at USCF.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 02:01 AM)
Flowers is such a guess pitch hitter. If he can't guess the pitch he will never hit it... And he is awful at it.. You would think with him being a catcher he would be pretty good at guessing what pitch is coming.

He's going to make a heck of a slow pitch softball player in a few years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 01:02 AM)
Still think it's insane to trade him for a relief pitcher and then run Sierra/Taylor out there. How likely are those guys to be improvements?

Taylor is already 4 years older than Dayan.

With Gillaspie not hitting for power, catcher not giving us anything, Semien/Johnson/Eaton not power guys...and losing Dunn as well, you just can't give up on him quite yet.

They're not, which is why they said no to Maurer supposedly

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
They're not, which is why they said no to Maurer supposedly

Well, supposedly TUC already has identified his flaws and can move Maurer to the rotation. (Of course, the Mariners and Rangers didn't get anything out of NoE, so who knows?)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 07:33 PM)
So Conor plays against LHP but sits verse Buckholz? I swear to god Robin Ventura is either brain dead or his entire '14 managing year is one big epic troll job.

Also love that bottom 3, might as well just give them 3 automatic outs in a row like when you don't have enough guys in softball.

edit: nm I see Conor is injured. sweet.

Anddd De Aza just finished up a .365/.423/.540/.963 June so he's not exactly an auto out anymore.

Plus Clay is a RHP and De Aza is hitting about .265 against RHP.

He's just been absolutely dreadful against LHP. 2 for 48...Yikes.