Carlos Rodon prospect watch

Feeky Magee

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
Ya, I'd be a little surprised is he doesn't get called up now....The next question will be, does he pitch outta the bullpen next year, like Sale did, or do they start him right away?

I'm guessing he's starting right away.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
Ya, I'd be a little surprised is he doesn't get called up now....The next question will be, does he pitch outta the bullpen next year, like Sale did, or do they start him right away?

Zero chance he pitches out of the bullpen next year, not with Boras as his agent.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Zero chance he pitches out of the bullpen next year, not with Boras as his agent.

How would that make any sense for the White Sox as well? They need three starters, at least 2.

When Sale came up in 2010/11, there were much better rotation options/depth on the roster.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
How would that make any sense for the White Sox as well? They need three starters, at least 2.

When Sale came up in 2010/11, there were much better rotation options/depth on the roster.

True true, just brought it up because of all the "Sale path" talk there's been.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 07:01 PM)
That tells me it's very likely he's in our rotation and on the Opening Day roster next year.

I'm positive it means he will be on the roster next year. Whether they choose to give him a full season in the bullpen like they did with Sale is not known until next March.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 08:22 PM)
Tick, tick, tock, tick, tick, tock, tick, tick, tock.

The assumption is he'll be in the the opening day rotation next year because the plan will be to try to win the division. So putting him in the bullpen in Sept is irrelevant to his arb clock.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)
The assumption is he'll be in the the opening day rotation next year because the plan will be to try to win the division. So putting him in the bullpen in Sept is irrelevant to his arb clock.

Exactly. There's no chance he's in our bullpen next year. We have at least two holes in our rotation and very few internal options to fill them. Both of these holes provide a much larger hurdle to being competitive than a left-handed reliever. Maybe they decide in spring training he needs more time in the minors, but either way he'll be a starter next year. The Chris Sale situation was the exception, not the rule.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)
1) Sale

2) Q

3) ?

4) Rodon

5) Danks

Who will be our #3?

I guess Noesi, sadly.

Depends on how much they trust EJ on possibly rebounding or how fast they think Beck or Bassitt can develop. Then you've got to see how they think Adams/Montas/Danish/Martinez develop.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 12:10 AM)
I guess Noesi, sadly.

Depends on how much they trust EJ on possibly rebounding or how fast they think Beck or Bassitt can develop. Then you've got to see how they think Adams/Montas/Danish/Martinez develop.

EJ isn't even a pimple on Coop's ass right now imo, he's been brutal and was recently shut down with "shoulder tightness" or something.

Sale

Q

Rodon

Noesi

Danks

that won't fly IMO they need at least 2 more guys to compete and ideally Rodon wouldn't come up until May.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 11:54 PM)
EJ isn't even a pimple on Coop's ass right now imo, he's been brutal and was recently shut down with "shoulder tightness" or something.

Sale

Q

Rodon

Noesi

Danks

that won't fly IMO they need at least 2 more guys to compete and ideally Rodon wouldn't come up until May.

Yes, my point was that Noesi is likely the number five and they wait it out to see if EJ rebounds, Beck or Bassitt develop enough to make bigs next year. I'm just very hesitant to hand out big deals to the likes of Masterson or Shields that we'll likely regret in a few years.

Well, some way or the other, they've got to do better than Hector Noesi as the #3 starter coming into next year if they want anyone to take them seriously as a threat, or if they want to sell any season tickets.

As Alexei Ramirez is currently our only valuable trade chip who can possibly be traded (for a decent return)...yet...at the same time, pushing Rodon up quickly means the window starts next year, then they have ZERO choice but to spend money this off-season.

Maybe you can trade Viciedo for someone like a Maurer, but then another hole in the line-up pops up if you do that.

Perhaps they trade Danks for Edwin Jackson and hope against all hope that Cooper can get him straightened out again...haven't watched Jackson enough this season to know if the stuff he had 4 years ago is still there or not, how much is mental/psychological, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)
1) Sale

2) Q

3) ?

4) Rodon

5) Danks

Who will be our #3?

I would be pretty pumped about a Sale/Q/Shields/Danks/Rodon rotation. Add in a veteran LH bat like Markakis or VMart and that is a serious playoff contender.